stgn

M4's for weapon Individualism

Superb iron sights !

Quote[/b] ]I whent back and to a look at recoil again and completly remade it now its more realistic, simpel to do and looks great! Already started making configs for other weapons so they are balanced to my M4's, always missed how they didn't realy fit in with other OFP weapons, are also making Sight pictures for them so that too maches my guns.

Some smaller things: have downloaded the magazines to 28 rounds(makes seating a magazine easier with a closed bolt and is supose to function more reliable), All M4A1's with out optics will now be zeroed at 200 m simulating Improved battle zero since these are SF guns and because IBZ has a flatter trajectory for combat ranges than normal 300 m battle zero.

Have started making a MP5 SD which will be a weapon for special situations and not a silent assult rifle as it has often been i OFP.

Sounds familiar : you start with a relatively simple addon, then add something else, and another thing and ... then you will end with an epic huge modification wink_o.gif

Walter_E_Kurtz: Thanks. I wanna make my own muzzel flash but its not as easy as making ironsights as I wanna do them realistic.

Santuary: Thanks. Yeah I feel it comming on.

Scope reticle:

acogta01nsn.th.jpg

ACOG TA01 NSN 4x 7 degree FOV

Dragunov OPFOR marskman(SNIPER) rifle night and day:

pso1night.th.jpgpso1day.th.jpg

(alpha)PSO-1 4x 6 degree FOV

compare to the real thing:

PSO-1 sight

STGN

impressive looking sights, how is the rest of your weapon pack coming along? smile_o.gif

Its going okay, been playing around with AI and sight pictures lately, have started skinning/texturing the Reflex there are stil some unfinished textures on the main gun but I haven't been in the mood fore texture making latly so its pretty slow in that department. Also RL comitments take up time.

smile_o.gif

STGN

I remember when experimenting with configs, i gave the sniper rifle a big zoom factor.

It was then that i understood too much zoom in OFP is a bad idea, when scanning the fields, my sight went into a forest.

The visual lag it created killed my framerate a very lot.

Certainly it was a long time ago with a weaker system than nowadays, but still it seems zooming too much and forests are not good for smooth gameplay.

So certainly Walter_E_Kurtz, your ratio zoom/screen size could technically work, but it is important to see if it does not trigger this ugly "zoomed forest lag" that from some reports i read seems to be present in ArmA too, maybe an engine problem..

Well I am trying to make them as realistic as I posible can, with my knowlege and OFP as limitations. Will try so simulate colour distortion and darkness with the final scopes.

I recently had the ACOG scope set up like your picture with more zoom but same FOV I went small because, I had removed zoom from the ironsights now they are 1x not 2x and the large zoom didn't fit in with that, also the large zoom effectivly makes the ACOG a sniperscope(8-9x) in the OFP world of 500m you didn't need a sniper rifle cause the M4 was too effective as you could see enybody with out much trouble and shoot them.

A M24 with 10x(or realy 20x in large scope mode) scope was just not needed and too cumbersome because of small magazine.

Not only makes "real" 4x longe range shooting more dificult as you say its harder to recognize your target this is a plus i my world as I wan't to make guns that feel diferent and are good ingame for different pourposes so the player would be challenged with picking the right gear for the mission, in normal OFP a M16 was quit capable of hiting enything and everything out to 500m prity easy it is stil posible to hit at that range but the easines is gone and it takes more skill and ammunition and with out the zoom on itonsights you don't realy see enybody before they are max 2-300 meters away if they are in camoflage. AI also sees longer with a high power scope making a Ai with BIS scope much at an advantage to my 1x zoom, to me it seemd AI is faster to point the muzzle at their target with less zoom making CQB much more demanding on the Player.

There where also some teoretic problems with some scopes which would not fit well within BIS scope picture.

STGN

News.

Have restored magazin capacity to 30.

Has changed the ejection direction, now supressed guns eject forward due to the fast cycle rate, now you can see the cratriges eject when looking down the sights using "v".

Have made configs for AUG and G36 with there own recoil and realistic sights. using BIS and modified BIS models(G36 is actualy very accurate I just changed the grip position). 3x 4degree FOV on the G36 gives a realy small picture no wonder the sight is cheap and not too popular, although its fun to play with!

Playing around with color distortion of the optics.

Finaly got around finishing som parts of the M4 textures I wanted to do.

Modified the carryhandle model yet again seems to be right this time.

Plus a couple of other things.

promo1.jpg

STGN

Hi have been thinking about how to mimimize performace impact, heres my idears so far:

LOD system has been reduced to almost VBS style:

0.100 : 1907 faces

0.350 : 241 faces

1.500 : 8 faces

1.501 : 223 faces(shadow lod)

1.502 : 8 faces

With the settings om my computer I don't realy lose enything looks wise as fare as I can tell. It seems to me to be a waste of time makeing lots of slightly smaller Lods for something the size of a rifle?

My idear for the 1.500 lod is to have one(256x128) texture with the rifle and all components in it, then I will just use ekstra faces for sights and the atachments instead of making different textures for each variation. The muzzle flash has been reduced from 18 to 8 faces so the face count is gonna be less than a BIS gun.

I wanna merge the textures that is used on each gun(reciver/barrel handgaurd/buttstock) and leave atachment with their own ididvidual texture that way I figure, that unless your using most of the posible variations at the same time you will use less power than If I merged all the atachments into one texture.

I would like to know what you think and if you got eny idears for improving performance you think I could use then please share.

STGN

0.350 : 241 faces

1.500 : 8 faces

1.501 : 223 faces(shadow lod)

A lod can display a shadow as long as it is under 400 faces, so you can set the lod 0.350 to display the shadow.

Whont I have the shadow of the muzzel flash if I do that?

STGN

Select the muzzle flash (the selection zasleh in fact)

in the menu, click on Faces then Properties

And if it is ticked, untick "Enable Shadow"

This way the selection zasleh will never create a shadow (best do this for this zasleh selection on every lods), and so no muzzle flash shadow will appear.

Ha always wondered how BIS did it, thanks alot!

STGN

09beta1sm.jpg

Click to see bigger!

Go to the first post to download.

I am gonna start doing sorta open beta testing like santuary did for ww4, will soon release a small weapon pack that function like my m4's.

STGN

Looking good! One little thing I noticed while testing: CQBR & SOPMOD ACOG SD sights aren't transparent. Otherwise everything seems to work as should. Good quality stuff! :)

Mirror by ofpr.info:

SOPMOD M4A1 pack v.0.9 [3,08 MB]

What do you mean not transparent? They work fine when I use them?

If you are thinking about them being darker and slightly of color then that a feature not a bug I am trying to make it seem like you looking thrugh glass.

STGN

What I mean is that I can't see through the glass at all, it's just plain white. The other ACOG sights work though, apart from the ones I mentioned... :confused:

sight.th.jpg

Edited by Rellikki

Looking good :) But the soldiers hands dont hold it rifle properly, dosent matter too much but would be good if you could fix it :)

To Rellikki: found the error will upload a fix version later tonight, with a couble of other fixes too.

To -Martin-: I my opinion the grip looks right/okay with standard BIS/ WW4 and unigen animation packs, I don't know what you use but I can't make them fit every animation pack unfortunetly and the above is all I ever use and there fore they fit these. So sory but I am not gonna change the grip position you are how ever wellcome to modifi them yourself they have not been Binirized so its a realtiv quick fix.

STGN

Here is the fixed version:

STGNSOPMOD v0.901 3.09 MB download (filefront)

fixes and changes:

SD ACOG scope view had a rong texture link

fireing the M203 was way too silent

SD versions now eject cartriges froward

Recoil simplified to look more like a trained shooter

STGN

Here is a little addon I've created just for fun (because I think it's actually useless):

Update: See next posts.

To STGN:

1. SD mags should have different icon image. E.g.: like in LSR addons:
    lsr.jpg
    _
  2. Would be easier if the damn muzzles would have the same name.
  3. M203 should have normal magazines (that take space).
  4. Fix weapon names in readme (STGNSOPMODM4A1ACOG and CQBR weapons).
  5. Would be good to have different inventory icon for every M4 version.

Edited by Faguss

Wow with some refinement that could be cool for coop. Like if could only attach assories at your base. Then the mission designer could determin what and how meany assories where available and the players had to decide who should carry what.

STGN

Fantastic Release my Nogovan SAS operators will love these new M4s :)

Thanks glad you like them

@Farguss

Thats prity cool with the Fwatch keys asigned, atleast as long as your not comanding soldiers, Makes me think of a sneaky mission where you start out with basis M4 and then find the assories along the way when you need them, too bad I am a lousy mission maker.

STGN

Like if could only attach assories at your base. Then the mission designer could determin what and how meany assories...
Makes me think of a sneaky mission where you start out with basis M4 and then find the assories along the way when you need them

Good in theory but it can be simply achieved just by putting another M4 version. Even better because there is less messing with actions.

Accessories would be useful if they would need only one model (so you could save space) but unfortunately OFP doesn't work that way.

Once player found GL or Scope would he ever remove it? Of course not, because there are no benefits. The only thing I consider useful is the silencer but only if SD bullets would have really shitty range and damage.

Thats prity cool with the Fwatch keys asigned, atleast as long as your not comanding soldiers

I have script with binding any key. Shall I update addon?