Sign in to follow this  
twisted

Sell ARAS online

i vote for both ... download = nearly all cash going directly to developers ...

and most of people not need nifty box and manuals ...

give me files and key ... all i need smile_o.gif

and i agree that it must be at least 5 times better solution than Steam ...

only bad experience I had with Steam buying HL2 online was it took forever to finish downloading it.

This poll is not complete. Why is "postorder" not in there?

Both options seems fine. But for me it is impossible because I don't have a creditcard so I can only buy things from dutch sites. smile_o.gif

I'd prefer a boxed version since I don't have a credit card (despite being old enough to have one ^^) and don't intend on getting one either just to pay for one game.

Using both a steam like system AND regular retail box would be ok tho... much like Valve did.

I cannot download something that big simple as that. give me the CDs. I wouldn't mind ordering the game through the mail though If I knew all the money was going to BIS.

Box me up.

Just dont use something like steam, its shite...

online delivery...then make a backup on DVD if possible....I don't really care about artwork and nice box...

If i pay 40€ for a game at least i want to be able to play it wherever i want without limitations of any kind, and not only where i have an internet connection.

Digital delivery is ok but i prefer a DVD box.

Couldn't have said it better. Just gimme the box. A nice one. Better yet, make a simple version and a SE version like BIS did with OFP:CWC. With maps and all!!! PLEASE!!! biggrin_o.gif

If it means significantly lower prices then hell yeah. blues.gif

No Steam-a-like! crazy_o.gif

Whats the one thing everyone complains about with Half-life2, Counter-Strike Source etc? Steam..

Would be a bad move, basicly smile_o.gif

Besides, yes, I want my box tounge_o.gif

Even if it was a download, I would still burn it to a DVD and make a box for it, as would a lot of people, so why not save them the trouble and give them the box tounge_o.gif

Also, people are more likely to stumble of ArA in a shop, than go out their way to wait what could easily be a day downloading. Say the game is 2GB, even at ~100kbs, it would still take well over a day if I worked that out right.. And that would be with 2mb internet.

Basicly, DVDs are the best way. It's (for me anyway) quicker walking the 20 miles to shops and back than it is downloading it..

Hmm, the Direct2Drive system sounds okay, basicly games you can go out and buy at the shops, you can pay around the same price, and download it. If BI don't do this them self, maybe the Direct2Drive company might do it for them? Never tried it, but theres adverts on some sites like Fileplanet for it.

- Ben

[About 10 posts appered from me starting the post, doing other stuff, and finishing it, opps tounge_o.gif]

I want a collectors edition tinbox with maps and a t-shirt biggrin_o.gif Something like Band of brothers-tinbox would be cool.

If it meant I could have a copy before it hit the shelves here in Australia, I'd buy an online download wink_o.gif

I recall paying 50$ for Wolf3d and it came on a 720k floppy in an envelope and a piece of paper.And look at the company today!

I don't mind online download if it helps the company in any way.I don't care that I wouldn't get a cd/dvd.My massive collection of media is somewhat annoying anyways.

A user account works fine for me.

I hope they get a good copy protection on the game, this game really deserves to be paid for smile_o.gif

Here's one reason to look seriously at online distro/sales : when certain people start taking drastic measures to preserve an intact set of OFP CD's, keeping them padded and protected in secured location, taking them out only to gaze on it and mumble something like "yessss, precioussss, we wouldn't wantsss anythingsss to happenss to yousss, would we precioussss..."... then it's time to look at online distro to avoid situations where said 'certain' people might need more than simple therapy, when it includes scouring every game store of every town said person has the occasion to visit for used copies... whistle.gifcrazy_o.gifhelp.gif

I voted both.. personally I would DL it, as I have broadband and I purchased HL2 online (took only an hour and 30min or so to DL smile_o.gif) with no problems. There are many people who do not have broadband however, so they would need to get the game at the store. I would personally love to see BIS open their own online shop to sell ArAs from, that way we know 100% of our money is going straight to BIS wink_o.gif.

on line is crap, The steam sh*te caused nothing but problems. there are a lot of potential customers who either can't download due to 56k or no internet connection (there are still people out there). On line doesn't help anyway, there are cracked cd downloads of Half life 2 out there, negating the need to download The old fade method worked so either use that, or if online registration is required then do it at Bohemia on line or by post to get an activation key. but don't make it so you need extra downloads to run it. (i would also like to see patches available by mail on cd)

Further BIS could always produce the game themselves without going to another company for distribution, that way they get all the profit.

I recall paying 50$ for Wolf3d and it came on a 720k floppy in an envelope and a piece of paper.And look at the company today!

That kind of gave me an idea, why not sell ArmA on floppy disks?

That would be cheap. biggrin_o.gif

So long as they avoid starforce it'l be alright to do D2D. GTR caused me no ends of problems crazy_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r
So long as they avoid starforce it'l be alright to do D2D. GTR caused me no ends of problems crazy_o.gif

Starforce? Is that the protection program that had the same inpact on the computer as some spywarez?

I'm not 100% on how it works but it detects virtual drive software. I use alcohol 120% quite foten for cd's and stuff but unfortunatly for me starforce thought that the reason I had this installed was so I could mount the game mad_o.gif . Meaning the blighter kept giving me the "Unable to insitialise protection failure" stuff despite the legitimate copy. However due the big problems it's provided over the years many of the "bigger" game devs don't bother with it, in my experience the games i've bought with it on are the old "cycling manager 4 and GTR". not your average best seller games. it stops piracy but at the cost of 1:10 legitimate copies not working.

With any luck we'll get it on a good old fashioned dvd/cd with safe disk as opposed to starforce.

Yeah, I think it refused to work on certain CD/DVD players as well. I had Trackmania with it on and it was certainly tempremental at the best of times - 'please insert correct disk' or something when it blatently was.

Presumably they will use either FADE or an updated equivalent. I don't remember there being many negatives if any to that system.

Guest Ti0n3r

I think they will use an updated version of FADE. I mean, I dont think BIS is the kind of developer who would have to turn to another developer for something. They would do it themselfs instead.

But we arent alowed to talk about FADE on the forums. So I wont. wink_o.gif

I need a CD or DVD. I am still stuck with dial-up. mad_o.gif

No I will not leave my country home for highspeed.