Sign in to follow this  
ebns72

two operation flashpoint 2s?

According to the article at ofp.info, CM will publish a game called "Operation flashpoint 2" SEPARATE from the current BIS sequal. Though this is entirely unofficial, this angers me quite a bit...so basically it seems they have dumped BIS and are trying to profit off the name. I hope this isn't true sad_o.gif This is going to cause a lot of problems and community division if it is true, and who knows what the game will turn out to be. If OFP2 is developed by a different studio, what changes will this sequel bring? Will it just be a prettier ofp or will it truly complete with BIS's title for the changes we have been looking for?

Zzzz over at This thread says

"Operation Flashpoint fans are hardcore military fans....they are the people that love realism, decent core gameplay and an involving storyline....we know that. Now to make a BF42 clone for the Flashpoint community which has built up over the lat 5 years would be the most inappropriate thing a company could do, plus insulting to top it off. Flashpoint 2 will be a Flashpoint game for Flashpoint fans, period.

We want to bring the game on to the next generation of realism and immersiveness. We have alot of feedback from the community about what they want to see in the game and this has been incorporated in our Design and Development process and we will deliver on the promise."

IMO, I think what hardcore flashpoint fans want is a sequel from BIS. But who knows, the "other" flashpoint2 could be a damn nice game as well. We will have to see how it goes.

Too much cometition can be bad also...if games are rushed through because one publisher is ready to release and another isn't, then the quality of the game suffers. I hope that this won't be the case. Besides I feel the BIS has a head start on their Games develeopment. Their intimate relationship with the community is likely to pay of. Whereas CM is likely to hive of information and attempt a copy...not all copies are as good as the original.

We shall just have to wait and see. I'm sure there will be a battle created somewhere with regard to the loyalty of the community.

I wish both teams well, (though I would prefer a BIS product...due to loyalty wink_o.gif )

Well, I know competition is good...but when its 2 developers both trying to make the same game, it gets confusing.

I am just wondering what exactly are CM going to do with their game that will out do the BIS version! It's going to have to be somewhat revolutionary to really make people purchase their game. It's going to be very interesting to watch what happens.

@Antichrist: From the look of the Press Release, it seems to me that CM have already put their balls on the table!  biggrin_o.gif

I just hope something good comes out of all this. BIS have the Intellectual Property rights on the games, but CM have the sequel rights to the Name...it would make sense to co-operate and get a win-win situation, but I guess we don't know all the details and therefore can only sit here and speculate as to what will/might happen, driving ourselves crazy over a period of 1.5 to 2 years while these games are developed. crazy_o.gif

It could all be a big market ploy from both sides, but then it would be some what misleading and confusing, creating apathy for the product, so I guess that would rule that theory out.

I don't believe that Codemasters have balls to do something like that.  smile_o.gif

Thats it antagonise them...lol. Let the battle begin. Looks like a game of CTG.... Capture the Game.

I'm goin with the BIS version. Noone else can do flashpoint. Nuff said.

yes, let's see what there comes. i think the BIS game will be way better, but you never know... so this competition is good, the possibility to get a really great game is higher wink_o.gif

Codemasters owns the trademark "Operation Flashpoint" so they can make an ofp 2 if they wish.

The name of the game is not important though as I will prob purchase all of BIS's games and I will prob buy alot of Codemasters titles, Colin McRae 04+05 are my fav Xbox titles right now.

Competition is a good thing, it keeps developers on their toes and creates cool new ideas. As an example I also purchased Soldner Secret wars, it's really buggy but it has some nice features like destructable buildings and an even larger "map" than Flashpoint. Without competition we would have a sort of gaming communism where things are slow to improve.

Staight link to OFP.info news item

I had to read this twice when I saw it.. Codemasters are giving the name OFP2 to some other publisher. Really, no.. Give it to BI, if nothing else..

Well this is where our money driven world has lead Codemasters, it seems smile_o.gif...

- Ben

Edit : The biggest problem IMO is that people going to out buy what they think (Game-content wise, not name) is Armed Assault, turns out to be a FPS Action Me-Versus-The-World game, and comes to the conculsion "Yuk, glad I didn't waste my money on OFP1". If Codemasters are using OFP2, what will the game after Armed Assault (The amazing graphics one) be called? Armed Assault 2?

hmm where was Codemaster when there wasnt any official screenshots.. but when there was they poped up tounge_o.gif

I said competition is good but offcourse I am only going to buy the one that is made by BIS cause:

-OFP1 is made by BIS.

-BIS is allways listening to us they know what we want.

-BIS is so good that they release patches to make their game bug free.

-If you PM one of the developers or mail them you allways get a reply.

Simply they rock wink_o.gif

Why is CM now saying they will look for a developer to make OFP2 simple they have told on their site + some interviews that they will be the publisher of OFP2 and if they now tell they have broked up with BIS and that OFP2 wont be released under CM they get a bad name so they simply look for another developer or allready have one that makes a OFP2 game with another engine and now the new developer of CM and BIS will try to make their own game better and that is only good for us wink_o.gif

crazy_o.gif This will confuse a lot of people. Especially the ones not around the community or following the game. If codemaster's "OFP2" will be shitty, the reputation of BIS's "OFP2" will also go down. Remember that the average Joe doesn't follow the OFP news.

The competition will come down to motivation, money, and technology. No two games will every be alike, so there will be some differences and one of the two companies will get a lot of money from the game, and one will lose a lot, unless the quality is super good for both

And to support the developers please dont buy a copy of a game not only BIS titles but for every game if most people gets coppies of games than the developers slowly die.

Just my 2 cents wink_o.gif

If CM tries to make OFP2 they are really pathetic. The CM version would obviously not be as good as the BIS version. BIS makes a very nice realistic game and CM tries to do it too but the result will not be as good. Who will buy the CM version? Everyone who wants a good OFP2 will buy the BIS version because the community is loyal to BIS and the BIS version will be better. The CS kids wont buy OFP2 from CM because there is not enough running around and shooting. If you want to sell a game dont try to develop a lesser version of another game.

Im really tired but I hope its possible to understand about what I tried to say.

I dont think BIS needs competition to drive them. I belive they are driven by the urge to create a very nice sequal and again make a game that far surpasses any previous games. I think BIS should just ignore CM and release theire game in theire own time because they have nothing to fear if they just do what they always do smile_o.gif

And dont go public with too much since CM will probably try to copy as much as they can tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]We published this news at ofpec last Friday. This is just confirmation of what we already thought.

OFP.info posted it last friday too Macguba,

look here. wink_o.gif

To hell with that , who are Codemasters to steal the damn OFP franchise just because they have the name trademarked.

Who are they to know what we want ? Their role is nothing more then donkey work as far as i am concerend , they distribute not make or dictate to studios(devs) what needs making thats just BS.

Where did the community give them feedback over what they want? People post and give feedback at BIS forums not Codemasters forums :roll:

Screw codemaster go ahead damnit make a new game and i wont buy it. And i know plenty wouldnt. The only reason we bought OFP was because BIS made it was their vision/work not anyone elses.

And for those saying all this is good in the name of competition must be high on something .... a developer with a known dis regard for not doing things for money and doing it for the passion dont need no competition from some unknown company whom some distributor with no clue us gonna hire blues.gif

wait a second....cm doesn't have rights to the poseidon engine, do they? wink_o.gif

If CM tries to make OFP2 they are really pathetic. The CM version would obviously not be as good as the BIS version. BIS makes a very nice realistic game and CM tries to do it too but the result will not be as good. Who will buy the CM version? Everyone who wants a good OFP2 will buy the BIS version because the community is loyal to BIS and the BIS version will be better. The CS kids wont buy OFP2 from CM because there is not enough running around and shooting. If you want to sell a game dont try to develop a lesser version of another game.

Im really tired but I hope its possible to understand about what I tried to say.

I dont think BIS needs competition to drive them. I belive they are driven by the urge to create a very nice sequal and again make a game that far surpasses any previous games. I think BIS should just ignore CM and release theire game in theire own time because they have nothing to fear if they just do what they always do smile_o.gif

And dont go public with too much since CM will probably try to copy as much as they can  tounge_o.gif

I am going to buy both Armed Assault and Armed Assault 2 developed by BIS for 1000%

And going to watch what the new developer of CM will come if it looks nice and if there will be a demo of it I am going to play it and if I like it I buy that one too (why not if it is going to be a nice game)

Maybe you never know the new developer of CM comes with a better game than BIS but I doubt it cause BIS works now 3 to 4 years on OFP2 and developer of CM maybe not even started or use one of their engines or maybe they cooperate with BIS to use BIS new engine for their own OFP2.

Also you never know maybe over a few days, weeks or months BIS and CM will come together again you never know what tommorow happens wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]BIS's "OFP2" CM's OFP2

Format: DVD CD

Release: 2006 Q4 2006 Q2

Sad, but Codemasters want to release their "OFP2" 6 months BEFORE BIS's OFP2. This means that BIS will lose a lot of people since others dont read the news and will think that the OFP2 will be codemaster's OFP2. I doubt they will make anything good in that time, but it will be good enough to screw things up for BIS crazy_o.gif

If the Codemasters' game uses StarForce I am not buying it.

Codemaster is playing dirty here anyway. mad_o.gif

wait a second....cm doesn't have rights to the poseidon engine, do they? wink_o.gif

That's what I was thinking. Anyone waiting for 'OFP2' is going to have to wait a while if the developers have to code an entire new engine and spend time debugging it. I don't know of many similar, quality engines they can just pick off the shelf and use.

Add in the fact that BIS are now extremely adept with working with this engine; having created several products based on it in various guises: I think they're probably going to produce the better of the two products, though I don't want to completely write off what CM will release before I even see it.

I suppose releasing Armed Assault before 'Game2' will bring the publics attention to what BIS are doing, so they know there's a difference between OFP2 and Game2 when they come out.