Sign in to follow this  
Desloc

State of OFP...

As long as BIS/CM convinces themselves that OFP does not need 'Join Game in Progress', this game with never be as popular as any online game with the above mentioned option.

IMHO, OFP is dying a slow online death.

Many of it's users are somewhat in the 'mature' age group and don't have time to wait 20 minutes plus for a game.

ex... A few of the guys pitched in and purchased 2 copies of OFP for two of our friends at Christmas.

Friend 1 hasn't installed it yet because he has two children, career, life, and has little time for the campaign... he checked for servers once with ASE and was discouraged.

Freind 2 is enjoying the campaign, tried multi-player with our group of friends, but that's the only time he plays it online. He also has a daughter and has no time to wait around to enjoy his recreational time... when he can find it.

Friend 3,4,5, and 6 cannot be convinced to purchase OFP since there is no option to join a game in progress. This option is there in most online games and it is what players are use to having...

...an easy route to get them in a game with little hassles. An easy GUI for new players and computer user that allows them to join when they want, with little or no complexity.

Anything less than that, such as in OFP, is cutting BIS/CM's market by 75% and will only spell the demise of this great sim/game.

Its not dying!!

Even if it is dying.....who cares?confused.gif?

I like it the way it is, and BIS already sold about 1 million copies, so they can start working on a sequel (not VBS) with good MP support

just check my post in the multiplayer section

its brillant once u get online and get a game going....its just getting to that stage is SOOOO annoying :/

i hate to be negative, but everyone just assumes that there will be an ofp 2.  Well i dont know why this is.  I sure wish for one... but as mentioned by someone on here earlier, BIS doesnt want to be known as the company who makes military simulators.  But i definetly agree with JOIN IN PROGRESS, all games should have it(except games like starcraft or something where you dont have a chance to live, etc).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Jan. 15 2002,22:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its not dying!!

Even if it is dying.....who cares?confused.gif?

I like it the way it is, and BIS already sold about 1 million copies, so they can start working on a sequel (not VBS) with good MP support<span id='postcolor'>

BIS/CM should care. 1 million copies sold does not mean success in the long term. It's already dropped off of many sites top 20 list and is falling fast on many others.

Why support a sequel when the original product does not provide what many have asked for? Why support BIS/CM, when other developers are working hard on products the consumer wants? As much as I love this game/sim, I find it a hard sell with many new users.

As a reseller, when a new user purchases a computer for the first(or second) time they may ask my recommendation for a good online game. There is no way in the world that I can suggest OFP. I don't need the tech calls or headaches.

IHO, that's just sad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (caz @ Jan. 15 2002,22:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">just check my post in the multiplayer section

its brillant once u get online and  get a game going....its just getting to that stage is SOOOO annoying :/<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, I totally agree. The problem is it's not my job or preference to 'annoy' my friends or customers.

When people buy new computer they never ask for good online game, the just ask for any game to play

Online games are only for people who had their PC for ages

It never dropped from any Top lists. In fact because of the end of year stuff its actually got couple of awards

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Jan. 15 2002,22:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When people buy new computer they never ask for good online game, the just ask for any game to play

Online games are only for people who had their PC for ages

It never dropped from any Top lists. In fact because of the end of year stuff its actually got couple of awards<span id='postcolor'>

Part of the entertainment value of owning a PC is online gaming. Many people that purchase a computer have friends that play online games. Heck, some of my customers have purchase a $1500 computer to play CS... and for the children educational software! Seems the wives love that one wink.gif

And it has been dropping from many list. IMHO, it would be on top if it had the option to 'Join a Game in Progress'.

One thing about NOT having a "jump in and play" feature is that you don't get retards like you do in CS and other games with this feature. At least not as much.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OBiJuan @ Jan. 15 2002,22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One thing about NOT having a "jump in and play" feature is that you don't get retards like you do in CS and other games with this feature.  At least not as much.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, but my friends and customers are mostly 25-40 and far from being 'retards'. CS is the way it is because of it's simplicty as a game... not because of 'Join in Progress'.

I convinced 3 of my friends to buy the game. Once they did I abandoned Gamespy and just played with friends, using the ingame "remote" function (directly over ip).

And it works great.

I´m a 56ker and, sure, I cannot participate in large scale battles with lots of people, but up to 6 persons is no problem for me at 56k.

And the "join-in-progress" issue...

Once I started to play with friends, there was no more need for the JIP-feature (not for me anyway). If someone disconnects, the others simple waits for that person.

Maybe this game isnt the best MP-game technically, but for me the total experience is by far the greatest (and I´ve tried a few...).

This game wont die...not for me anyway...

I remember a thread (think it was Suma) dealing with the "join running game" issue. He stated that it's not possible without a major redesign of the Multiplayer part. They made the decision to skip on it in an early development stage already. The Lobby/pool of it though can be improved quite easily as Caz said. Suggest to continue there: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;t=4665

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desloc @ Jan. 15 2002,22:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As a reseller, when a new user purchases a computer for the first(or second) time they may ask my recommendation for a good online game. There is no way in the world that I can suggest OFP. I don't need the tech calls or headaches.

IHO, that's just sad.<span id='postcolor'>

And exactly what would U recommend instead?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desloc @ Jan. 15 2002,12:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One thing about NOT having a "jump in and play" feature is that you don't get retards like you do in CS and other games with this feature.  At least not as much.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, but my friends and customers are mostly 25-40 and far from being 'retards'. CS is the way it is because of it's simplicty as a game... not because of 'Join in Progress'.<span id='postcolor'>

Geez, I didn't say you or your old friends are retards. I think it will affect the kinds of people who will play it online if it were a "Join in Progress" game.

In any case, it's not going to happen, from what I've read.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OBiJuan @ Jan. 15 2002,22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One thing about NOT having a "jump in and play" feature is that you don't get retards like you do in CS and other games with this feature.  At least not as much.<span id='postcolor'>

lol theres more lame types in OFP multiplayer than there was in CS.In OFP 90% of the hosts are lamers with a great majority of lamers and n00bs and trying to get a decent game is almost impossible and the stupid waiting feature makes it worse.

At least with CS u can go and play on a GSP that has admins that kick all the lamers so u can get a decent game.Also an ingame browser like half-life would be a good thing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OBiJuan @ Jan. 15 2002,23:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One thing about NOT having a "jump in and play" feature is that you don't get retards like you do in CS and other games with this feature.  At least not as much.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, but my friends and customers are mostly 25-40 and far from being 'retards'. CS is the way it is because of it's simplicty as a game... not because of 'Join in Progress'.<span id='postcolor'>

Geez, I didn't say you or your old friends are retards.  I think it will affect the kinds of people who will play it online if it were a "Join in Progress" game.  

In any case, it's not going to happen, from what I've read.<span id='postcolor'>

Who you calling old? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sandman @ Jan. 15 2002,23:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As a reseller, when a new user purchases a computer for the first(or second) time they may ask my recommendation for a good online game. There is no way in the world that I can suggest OFP. I don't need the tech calls or headaches.

And exactly what would U recommend instead?<span id='postcolor'>

I recommend HL/TFC/CS, RTCW, MW4, CFS2, UT, and T2.

No, none of these games compare to the greatness of OFP, but all them offer fairly reliable online game play and minimal frustration.

Any game that sold a million copys, and already has a expansion out, and another expantion coming out, is not dying and kind of death anytime soon.

I agree that this is prolly not the game to sell a beginner...its certainly not something to include in the "internet gamers starter kit"...however, I see a fierce following...the people that play this game on a regular basis are here for the long run. Its the first game in a long time that has brought something new to the table after many many versions of Quake with different graphics and weapons. All of the games listed above are excellent, but none will be taking up any of my leisure time for a while. OFP has that market cornered on my hard drive smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As a reseller, when a new user purchases a computer for the first(or second) time they may ask my recommendation for a good online game. There is no way in the world that I can suggest OFP. I don't need the tech calls or headaches.

And exactly what would U recommend instead?<span id='postcolor'>

I recommend HL/TFC/CS, RTCW, MW4, CFS2, UT, and T2.

No, none of these games compare to the greatness of OFP, but all them offer fairly reliable online game play and minimal frustration.<span id='postcolor'>

So, basically, "Join-in-progress" is the ONLY criteria U have for a game???

If a person, who just bought his/hers first computer, was interested in a militarysimulation online game - you would recommend one of those?!? Simply because the have JIP?!?

Maybe I´m not understanding U completly here...are we talking about ANY FPS-online game, or do we talk about "Military-simulation" onlinegames?

If I were recommended, lets say HL, when I wanted a military simulation game, there would be both "tech calls" and "headaches" wink.gif

OFP isnt intended to be a simple "get-as-many-frags-as-possible"-game, there is much more to it IMO. Teamplay and seriousness are the keyelements for me when I play. And reconnecting to your original post - for those of us that seeks those criterias I stated above, this game will NOT die.

Personally, I think a JIP-feature would ruin this game for me. But thats me smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Type0 @ Jan. 16 2002,06:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Any game that sold a million copys, and already has a expansion out, and another expantion coming out, is not dying and kind of death anytime soon.<span id='postcolor'>

I said.... on-line death, not single player.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suchey @ Jan. 16 2002,06:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree that this is prolly not the game to sell a beginner...its certainly not something to include in the "internet gamers starter kit"...however, I see a fierce following...the people that play this game on a regular basis are here for the long run.  Its the first game in a long time that has brought something new to the table after many many versions of Quake with different graphics and weapons.  All of the games listed above are excellent, but none will be taking up any of my leisure time for a while.  OFP has that market cornered on my hard drive smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Great points, but it's statements like these...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I see a fierce following...the people that play this game on a regular basis are here for the long run.<span id='postcolor'>

...that reminds me of the feelings surrounding WW2 online, a surviving niche online market. If I were BIS/CM, I'd be going after a HUGE market segment and not just devoted followers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So, basically, "Join-in-progress" is the ONLY criteria U have for a game???

If a person, who just bought his/hers first computer, was interested in a militarysimulation online game - you would recommend one of those?!? Simply because the have JIP?!?

Maybe I´m not understanding U completly here...are we talking about ANY FPS-online game, or do we talk about "Military-simulation" onlinegames?

If I were recommended, lets say HL, when I wanted a military simulation game, there would be both "tech calls" and "headaches" wink.gif

OFP isnt intended to be a simple "get-as-many-frags-as-possible"-game, there is much more to it IMO. Teamplay and seriousness are the keyelements for me when I play. And reconnecting to your origanal post - for those of us that seeks those criterias I stated above, this game will NOT die.

Personally, I think a JIP-feature would ruin this game for me. But thats me smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Absolutely not. If a customer asked for a military sim I would strongly suggest OFP, if they asked for a online military sim... I'd have to clearly explain it's downfalls.

No, I'm not just talking about FPS, as I metioned CombatFlightSimulator 2 and MechWarrior 4. I'd also suggest Diablo 2 with reservations. I'm talking about the online gaming experience in general, not specific genres.

So let me clarify that I would not recommend TFC or Tribes 2 as a real world combat sim.

As a single-player game, OFP shines. Thief 1/2 are other engulfing single-player games that showed this level of greatness.

The way that I see it is that OFP is a single player game with multiplayer coded as an afterthought. I pay $40CAN/$24US for 1500kbs down and 640kbs up ADSL connection, as do many others in North America. Here we play online and single player has long been considered training for the online world.

Take away this world and you have a niche single player market with devotee multiplayer supporters. I personnaly hate to see OFP taking this route.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desloc @ Jan. 16 2002,11:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The way that I see it is that OFP is a single player game with multiplayer coded as an afterthought.<span id='postcolor'>

To the best of my recollection, something very similar was admitted in a public interview with someone at BIS or at CM after the SP demo first came out and before OFP 1.0 went gold.

I searched my old OFP Tattler pages (anyone here remember that? smile.gif ) but couldn't find the link.

I think it was in "OF Post Mortem". The same thing is the case with "MAFIA: The City Of Lost Heaven" (being developed by Illusion Softworks in cz). They also started out with the idea of making a great single player experience. But then it became clear that people were gonna want to play it online too. So they've been adding some multiplay too. When the game is out it will only feature a 'race around town' feature, and later on they will release a multiplayer more like the game in single player. SWAT3 was initially also single-only, but after a (long) while they did release a multiplayer addon.