Sign in to follow this  
gandalf the white

Poseidon II , the ultimate engine?

Anyone know if the engine will be multithreaded?

Quote[/b] ]Just imagine that every muscle in your body relaxes and nothing is holding it together anymore.

That is the case with instant neural network failures, but most combat wounds are not immedeatly deadly. So the body isn´t switched "off" in a second. People tend to collapse with pumping and shaking bodies sometimes. Disgusting to watch how the body winds up. Don´t forget also that there are not only muscles in the body but also sinews that keep the body parts in a default position. When hit by a high speed bullet bodies get into a state of shock and wind up. The loss of body parts results in things that can hardly be simulated by a ragdoll engine.

Ragdoll only means adding weight to parts of the body , give them correct rotational angles and such. It does not mean to simulate the death of a person accurately. Therefore the variables are just too many and I´m not sure if I want to see it simulated in a OFP 2 game accurately as the gore that would have to be included should better stay on the real battlefields where people often have PTSD syndroms after seeing such for years or lifelong...

There is a line for video games imo. BIS didn´t cross the line with OFP and RES and I am sure they will not go into crude details with OFP 2. At least I hope so.

I totaly agree with you Bals.

I just want the bodies not to fall through walls or into vehicles or so, that's all smile_o.gif

The LA bank shootout robber was shot in the neck I think. It severed his brain stem resulting in instant neural network failure. Basically it cut his brain off from talking to the rest of his body.

I'll give you an example of what I was talking about of how ballistics effect the body. Now this could be graphic to some people so if you don't wish to read it please don't read the rest of my post.

I was in the military. During one of our patrols we met up with another squad. While walking down the street one of them was shot in the neck. The shot was from behind but he fell backwards. The bullet entered his neck and exited near his chin. This thrusted his head backwards and he fell backwards. His body didn't go limp at all. His muscles actually tensed up. Ever hear the expression death grip? The result was he fell in the exact position he was in when he was shot. He was stiff as a board.

These are things ragdolls don't and can't simulate. A ragdoll simply doesn't take into account weight or balance. The result is a shot from the front always pushes the person back. A shot from the back always pushes forward. In reality how a body reacts greatly depends on angle of shot and what the bullet hits in the body. Some parts of the body absorb force better than others. Some people get shot and fall straight down without the body reacting to the force of the shot. The part of the body hit doesn't absorb force so the energy is passed right through the body.

All in all I think ragdolls are a bit better than some animations but it is still far from a complete realistic depiction of how a body reacts. I think OFP2 will have them though. But we'll have to wait and see

In that article on the last page it said that there could be thousands of units on a map at once! I also am gunna love the bullet penetration.

In that article on the last page it said that there could be thousands of units on a map at once! I also am gunna love the bullet penetration.

Seems exagerated to me, 1 thousand units crazy_o.gif .

I think that's the greatest improvement. In OFP I never really felt like I was in a combat zone. I could fly or drive anywhere at any time and never run into an enemy or friendly unit. It would be nice if I could take a wrong turn and then run into another major battle biggrin_o.gif

Seems exagerated to me, 1 thousand units crazy_o.gif .

Well, not really. They said on the map, not on the screen. So that could mean that 900 of those will be calculated without rendering them.

well ya i know that but just the idea of havign 1000 guys out there to kill is great tounge_o.gif , though it probably wont be as easy as killing ofp 1 ai cause they have been upgraded

i surely want to see some more realistic anime but in the name of god i didnt enjoy the view of ppl drop dead, not to say if this person is one of who you know well.

Yo, if the engine will manage A LOT of units (say 1000 or what) and there will be a way to exchange info with NPCs then this will open up a lot of battle management: you could send recon patrols across the country or place observers near the roads, etc. , we'll have a real working intelligence system which could help us planning the battles, and things like that, whoa... This would turn OFP into a strategical-tactical-FPS-RTS-RPG game... hell yeah!!!

Im just wondering what would happen if all those units where sent to one location, lag city?

Im just wondering what would happen if all those units where sent to one location, lag city?

It would be Hong Kong x 100 smile_o.gif

But cant OFP:R handle alot of ais at the same time? Aslong they aint near you. I once placed 60 East and 60 West guys on a 100m2 area. It lagged like hell and took 3min to start. I did the same thing again when i was 9000m away. Wasnt that laggy. So in single player i only recive info that is near me.

Dunno if it works the same way in OFP.

I always wanted to play 40vs40 over whole everon. No tanks nor choppers, just infantry and some ammo/mortars at the areas you capture. It would so be real!.

It would be Hong Kong x 100 smile_o.gif

But cant OFP:R handle alot of ais at the same time? Aslong they aint near you. I once placed 60 East and 60 West guys on a 100m2 area. It lagged like hell and took 3min to start. I did the same thing again when i was 9000m away. Wasnt that laggy. So in single player i only recive info that is near me.

Dunno if it works the same way in OFP.

I always wanted to play 40vs40 over whole everon. No tanks nor choppers, just infantry and some ammo/mortars at the areas you capture. It would so be real!.

my god my city is already quite laggy IMO

... i`m interested in for will Poseidon II have full suport in,

bump maps or normal maps or ... ?;

all so maybe layered textures ... ?;

DX9 = Bump maps, normal maps support. I don't think you have to worry about it....  wink_o.gif

PS...unlikely to be 1000 units. Serious Sam 2 is going for the record, and that's somewhere around 200-300 enemies on screen.

Couldnt ofp already handle 3024 units techically. Ofp allows 63 groups per side, 12 units per group, 4 sides. Hold on and ill go try it tounge_o.gif . Ill report back if my comp is still functioning smile_o.gif

Ok my comp couldnt hadle the limit, but I got half way there. here is 1512 units on screen at once. I couldnt get all of them in the picture but i got most of them. I was getting about 1 frame a sec and it took 3 to 5 min to load tounge_o.gif

EDIT: Eat your heart out serious sam smile_o.gif

mantest.jpg

mantest2.jpg

I think what they mean is that the game could keep track of 1,000 units at once. I don't think you'll actually see them. Basically while you attack town B, there is another attack on town A. The game will keep track of such attacks and thus better simulate a real battle front. In theroy you could travel to town A and there will be a battle going on. At least I'm hoping that's the case

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how the added complexity of ofp2's physics engine will affect multiplayer (lag)?

Depends, there are both server and clientside physics.

Victor, do the same test, but pick Malden and spread the ais out over the whole Island. Use viewdistance 1000. I think you will easily get 10 or more FPS.

I rather play a mission with 10.000 soldiers on the same island than having 200 on the same screen.

Heh....of course you can have that many, that not really the point of course. But the 1 FPS you got explains my point wink_o.gif

As for physics and multiplayer, the problem isn't physics affecting lag, it's lag affecting physics. But you can already see games with sophisticated physics engines work well with multiplayer....take a look at HL2/Havok...and that's despite HL2's VERY dodgy prediction/hitbox problems.

Well the resolution its at 1280 x 1024, the visual quality is all the way up there is 6x AA, 16x AF, and in the picture the veiw distance is at 1500 but it runs the same at 3000. Shados are on and the Lod settings are at the default. I could make the fps higher, but I was just seeing how many units i could get on my screen. Like cain said I could spread the units out and have a very playable game. Though I might not use 1500+ units smile_o.gif . My question as far as ofp2 is that is you can have thousands of units what will happen if they all come together in the same place. How playable will it be i wonder smile_o.gif .

I am gunna go try and see how many units I can place across the make with a decent fps

I bet the "AI" controlling the OFP2 NPC's won't let groups that are too large get together. maybe 3 vs 3 squads max? can't say a thing though... maybe OFP will suprise us... maybe it will even leave Serious Sam II (200> units) behind him! biggrin_o.gif