Sign in to follow this  
Kam2000

Armed Assault Anticheats!!!

gee this all sound great and all, but i hate the idea of having punkbuster.... Oh and i think having a file checker is a very bad idea..... I load about gigs of addons, I don't need anymore lag when trying to connect to a server and play. Just my $0.02.

Oooh how i hate cheaters. I was playing a TDM and emptied two mags into a guy with the steyr, without lag, and he got clean away with our flag, blood spurting as he ran. He did this a few times, we told the admin, and he was in the same clan! mad_o.gif

I'd really like an anti-cheat system that kicks the cheaters with as few cons as possible - like disableing graphic enhancing addons etc.  smile_o.gif

One thing about the vote admin system that was puttering through my head was to be able to vote multiple admins, say three, and admins can only kick with 2 their total 3 votes? And maybe some kind of "democratic" system as far as votes go. Hell, it would probably be overly complex and confusing, but IMO it would be worth it.

hello m8,

Punkbuster scans for modded files/open/running dll's, if he found one modded file or a extra DLL it just kicks out (go take a look at the world famous game americas army wow_o.gif ).

that meens there will be no availability for addons.

Punkbuster doesnt helps in any possible/thinkable way, it just works like placebo pills for the community so they will shut up about cheaters tounge_o.gif

anyways the admin who play this game, make nice file checkers so they are able to see whats on, on the other site.

Have a nice day smile_o.gif

hello m8,

Punkbuster scans for modded files/open/running dll's, if he found one modded file or a extra DLL it just kicks out (go take a look at the world famous game americas army  wow_o.gif ).

Punkbuster doesnt helps in any possible/thinkable way, it just works like placebo pills for the community so they will shut up about cheaters  tounge_o.gif

anyways the admin who play this game, make nice file checkers so they are able to see whats on, on the other site.

i agree, if you have any modified files it will kick you, so no ecp, sound packs or anything lol.. it would be hell

Speaking for myself, I hope that any anti-cheat measures in AA are purely optional - I generally play only with a trusted group of friends via LAN or online, and I don't want any anti-cheat measures slowing down or otherwise interfering with our games. If it is something than can be simply switched off when you feel there is no need for it, all well and good.

Unless the 1 hit / 1 kill approach of the game(s) turns the cheats away and they favor something like Battlefield.......anti-cheat will have to be added.....

Nothing wrong with Punkbuster -- works effectively when used correctly.

Futhermore when "enhanced" by using the tools and md5 checks at www.punksbusted.com or www.aaserveradmins.com -- pretty much all public hacks can be stopped.

56k'ers can have problems, but really broadband is as cheap as Å10 a month now -- some of you probably used to pay more than that for dial-up.....

Still some people cannot get broadband, which was the case with me untill a year ago..

Personaly, I'm not bothered about what anti-cheat stuff is with ArA, as I only play with my squad, or people in the squad. As long as I can disable the anti-cheat thing while hosting, I'm happy.

I really don't think many people will cheat in OFP, it's not a mainstream game, like CS:S or AA:O. The only thing I can think of is more detailed report on what part of the file is modified (Sent to an admin log on the server, maybe). I like the way FADE does things, not shouting "DONT COPY THE GAME" then closing it's self, instead slowly making the game grind to a halt smile_o.gif

As for the Anti-Cheat SDK, that could have a good effect, or the complete oposite, it could (and probobaly would) make making cheats easier. Then the admins would have to make improved anti-cheat, then cheaters would make better cheats etc etc... crazy_o.gif

- Ben

i think people that say dont add punkbuster to AA have something to hide.

i do think that AA needs something to stop cheats as this is probably they main reason i have left ofp as its ok having filechecks but when people get by those and still cheat u think to urself why have i wasted the pasted 30min - whatever playing that map....

Has one of you ever seen a cheater in OFP?

I think OFP is a game where anybody who knows scripting can cheat but nobody does.

The panic of cheaters is worse than the cheaters themselves.

I think OFP is a game where anybody who knows scripting can cheat but nobody does.

I've only seen cheaters on DM CS style games. But I don't play them anymore biggrin_o.gif

there are more cheaters in ofp than you may think, many of them use speed hacks or wirefreame, if you play a league you will se a lot of them, and that's why something like punkbuster is needed

there are many cheats in ofp..if you haven't seen them - you haven't played OFP online last and this year or if you play on some private coop server that noone gives a stuff about....

anti-cheat system is needed in ALL online game today

there are tons of cheats and cheat sites giving them out to any lamer that wants them

as soon as a game is released there are cheats within days

ofp in it's current state has some really nasty cheats

all the people on here that have said that anti-cheat will ruin the game, I don't see any cheaters, etc, are probably the people on the servers using the cheats and ruining it for the rest of us

oh and punkbuster sucks?

lol

it sure does for all the cheaters that get a hardware ban on it, guess they better forget about playing ANY pb game on that computer

I'd like an Anti-Cheat system such as Punk Buster, as long as it doesn't interfere with genuine modifications such as Y2K3 and FFUR. smile_o.gif

Hopefully OFP2 on the other hand will be so good it won't even need modding. biggrin_o.gif

hello m8,

Punkbuster scans for modded files/open/running dll's, if he found one modded file or a extra DLL it just kicks out (go take a look at the world famous game americas army  wow_o.gif ).

Punkbuster doesnt helps in any possible/thinkable way, it just works like placebo pills for the community so they will shut up about cheaters  tounge_o.gif

You are wrong ... it can be setup that way addon works ...

if You not noticed America's Army is one of these "static" games NOT allowing and NOT made to support addons of any way ... so running it in pure mode is easy ...

btw PB is in BattleField 1942 too and see You can run mods ...

open You eyes ... it works smile_o.gif

I'd like to see a kind of wildcards for checkfiles. smile_o.gif

So you could search e.g. for *.exe or *.dll and so on.

Yep could work for files in the actual folder but outside of it theres nothing it can do but its a great idea and wish you could do it in ofp, Punk busters myself I think would be great also you need strong cheat defence in any game these days.

I agree with the check file instead of punkbuster because of all the addons and mod.

Scary as it maybe but I agree with Mal if the server would only allow the players to use the addons that are for that specific map.  Any other files would be disabled or if a player was forcing a file to be used it would autokick them.

It would also be sweet if you could set the default graphic by the server that way you could turn the graphics up but you could only goes as low as the server will allow.  Because though its not a cheat, turing your graphic down to get 2D bushes and trees has ruined the MP world as well as cheating.

As for the Anti-Cheat SDK, that could have a good effect, or the complete oposite, it could (and probobaly would) make making cheats easier. Then the admins would have to make improved anti-cheat, then cheaters would make better cheats etc etc... crazy_o.gif

If you meant this then you simply did not think about what I wrote there.

It is a SERVER SDK which will only be available to the local system on the server. So the server admin is the only one who has control over that! Therefore it is not important if any cheater is developing something for that because he will never get it on the server machine... This SDK is meant server side!!! So the ingame connectors are only available there. In future the community could develop the client side system and than easily connect to the server via the SDK after uploading or sending the data over a self chosen way to the server machine.

There is no chance for cheaters to use the SDK for cheats...

Yeah give us something for avoid cheaters, if not dont loose your time, because in less of 1 month the same guys who fucked OFP will do the same with ArA.

Many of us will not buy the game if you do nothing, you can be sure of that. I will be the 1st.

Let's have another go at keeping this thread ontopic without it turning into accusations about people....

As squadleader of the BEF clan I would like to share our 4 years of eperience in the ofp community.

We are already playing the game from version 1.0. I can truly say that cheating has destroyed the community. We are Currently only able to play with other people that we really know on closed servers.... this is not really what it was or what it was meant to be...Extra anti-cheat features have to be added or BIS has to provide the community with longer support and more updates.

In fact it is truly sad how cheaters took over the community and how things are going right now on the public servers.

The compatiblity with previous addons is great but it makes me also quite worried about how easy it will be to port current cheat technologies to the new version because it is in fact more or less the same game.

One more thing!(OFFTOPIC) Gamedevelopers almost always make the error to release only a windows server. As a result there arn't many servers/good servers and the community dies. PLEASE RELEASE A LINUX SERVER WITH THE RELEASE OF AMRED ASSAULT!

I really do hope that they will think about these things

xmas_o.gif

Well by the looks of it, BIS needs to act fast against the cheaters, because apparently a certain OFP cheat community has just released an ID changer that can specifically use any persons ID number!!!!!!!!

This is the worse news for true OFP fans, especially those who participate in a league like my own (TNT League) because now we will not be able to tell the difference between players purely by seeing their IDs on a screenshot. Any malicious person can now go onto servers and use their cheat files whilst using a legitimate players ID number.

This is a very sad affair which should have been nipped in the bud by BIS way back around 2 years ago when these cheats started surfacing. The situation has got so bad that I dont even play OFP any more  because Im fed up of the bickering and cheating that goes with this game.

Its a real shame because I played OFP hardcore for 4 years solid. I hope BIS are listening to its community about what we want as they may find that more people will go the same route as I have.

Im now seriously thinking of putting my league on hold until AA is released because of this latest ID changer - because it will make an admins life very hard to judge a situation if you cannot even prove who a person is by their ID number - how else are we supposed to identify players now?

Marshal Law

TNT League Owner

http://www.tntleague.com (temporary site at http://www.tntleague.tk)

PunkBuster can help get rid of these "ID" problems...

because PB GUID is generated from CDkey ... so if You ban that GUID his accounts "linked" to that CD key are out of order for Your server ...

same goes for PB global GUID bans ...

and best is HardwareUID bans are based over this so he is globally banned + his machine is banned ...

and all this fear about "PB" limiting "moddability" of game are nonsense ... it can be easily configured to work ...

best combination for cheat free enviroment :

- any important operation must be calculated OR/AND re-checked at server (preventing speedhacking, animation skipping, unlimited ammos, position cheats etc)

- correctly programmed client (preventing easy bytehacking and memory editing)

- some inbuild anticheat solution from developers (like file checksums , remote game variables control/checking etc)

- support for external but tied to engine anticheat (like PunkBuster), this will prevent D3D hooks and any advanced low level crap ...

- SDK support for 3rd party anticheat solution (ideally written in way to be able cooperate with PB (ie game module for client and server which is "COVERED" by PB against modification)

this way ... it will be close to perfect

I vote for dynamic code encryption!

- Don't share unencrypted data with the server!

- Use different encryption methods on the client to prevent fast memory read outs.

But the easiest of all:

Make the executable unrenameable (what a crazy word  crazy_o.gif ) and make it possible to check the executable for us!

I totally agree with Dwarden! This way we have many possibilities to engage cheaters. PB or any other solution can be used from the release until support is slower than cheats are spreading. If PB/other solution isn't up to date or we experience cheats which are breaking the PB/other solution engine we could make our own ones. Updates then could easily be made because the makers are in the community themselves. Therefore fastest support is available...

Watch also the Common Anticheat Enhancements For All BI Games thread...