Sign in to follow this  
Sovietzug

1970 vs 2010

The time, and the units...all are what i´ve been waiting for. US Army, USMC, SpecOps and all of them in a modern combat environment biggrin_o.gif

I´m very happy. To say the truth; i don´t like vietnam era games, but that´s because i´m a lover of modern warfare.

ok, i had lost all interest of OFP2 if this is the USA strike against "terrorism" or another inventios to make war in this days.

If OFP2 not have vietcong, africans guerrillas, koreans soldiers, soviets armys, olds copters, i think it will not my game.

I wait a great game with "comanche vs hokum" gameplay system in a complete conflict between 2 powerfull armys. But i will not pay to play with USA or OTAN forces doing the world police, simply.

I dont like 2010 idea, i think it's boried. I have my dudes about new ammo or modern aircrafts. I supose i can see Abrahms sad_o.gif and Colts, anything new.

Is more futurist projects of 80's era than a infantery game of 2010, when the most important at war now is the logistic capacity, nuclear weapons and sattelites GPS.

As long as it's not yet another arab or gook shooter.

I would prefer to see a Soviet vs Nato scenario again as thats where all the exciting weapon systems come from.

My problem with 2010 is the integrated battlesystems.

I suspect that after Vbs 1, Bia have great intelligence about Australian and American Weapon systems........

but will they know much about Soviet systems and be able to simulate them well within the game?

In my paranoia, I forsee a game overbalanced by an Uber USMC. Which will bore me.

1985 was fine by me.

Give me more of the same please.

How about China & North Korea and allies against the USA & Allies? .... The fight for the superpower of the 21th century smile_o.gif

Do you know the books of Patrick Robinson? His first book was placed in 2007 and his actual one (Hunter Killer, really great biggrin_o.gif ) is placed in 2010 and there are no cyborgs marching around and so on, so I expect the whole thing to be really cool smile_o.gif In my opinion it doesn't matter if you shoot with an M16 A2 or M16 A4.... it makes bang and that's it smile_o.gif

Thumps up BIS, I like the new "topic" smile_o.gif

@ May 21 2005,23:43)]How about China & North Korea and allies against the USA & Allies? .... The fight for the superpower of the 21th century smile_o.gif

Which side would Russia fight on? With USA, with China (not likely) or on it's own? rock.gif

I choose 2010, leave all the early wars for mod teams, they will be the secondary developers

I dont understand our

You prefer combat with a Comanche, Cobra, Apache and Abrhams against ż? palestine childrens with rocks ? AK-74 chinesse soldiers ?ż  Missile Scud of 80' age ż?  Iraquis with home bombs, AK-74, RPGs ż? Chechen warriors and arabs combating with AK-74, M16, and Stingers ż?

It is different of Flaspoint1985 Resistence Mods rock.gif??

I prefer a total war, for example. Vietnam.

Because at Vietnam you can combat with vietcong, Vietnam army, Soviets vehicles, copters and tanks against eeuu soldiers in a total war at jungle smile_o.gif

Why at OFP and not at BF or another game?

Because i wait can to play with a complete IA doing resupply, base reparations, recon, coverture, rescue, etc etc etc

The OFP editor has limits to can do it, but a OFP2 was my illusion.

Really i think the best game about a war conflict is "comanche vs Hokum" but yo can not play with infantery sad_o.gif

The most atractive to play a OFP2 is a newer gameplay system, but do you can not enjoy this combating with a Great army against little groups or little armies (with 80's weapons)

I dont understand why it can be fun

sorry by my english, i speak spanish ! tounge_o.gif

Unfortunately Vietnam was already extremely overdone in computer games. Also Vietnam setting will mean additional vegetation which will impact framerate dramatically.

Yeah, imagine the fun of vietnam warfare, you get M16's, cobras, hueys, jets and armor, artilery, napalm, etc against poorly armed VC and NVA, isnt that fascinating ?? Now imagine the great MP fun it would be like, you get to play VC hidden in the jungle with a simonov rifle and a couple hand grenades against the US military, unless they turn it into another BF vietnam, ewww...

Do you see the waste of technology already rock.gif . We need decent oposition, and by that i mean well equiped military forces for balancing sakes, thats where the ruskies were perfect in OFP smile_o.gif .

I am sure BIS will balance the forces, be it by shear numbers or you are part of a group that has been cut off due to factors beyond your control.

2010... I am thinking nukes!!! That should even things up.

Besides as the prevous post mentioned I am sure the mod teams will come up with something to your liking. They will probably cover from 0 to 3010.. biggrin_o.gif

year 0.

I call this the Jesus mod

Mission One. Turn the water into wine.

Mission two. Have last meal

Mission three. Cary cross across Jeruselm

Mission four. Reincarnate in cave.

And thats all of the bible I remenber smile_o.gif

Actually, Jesus was born 4-8 years before he was born ( rock.gif ), and he died around 30 years... So that's about year 20 or so... Maybe 25?

I prefer 2010 because I love all the new and hightech military "toys",besides if again is an fictional USA vs Russia conflict I wouldn't be worried about poor equipment for opposing side,Russia proved many times that is capable to produce good military hardware.

Future wars can be fight by a simple push of a red button..

you guys want that in ofp2? i dont!

..so i think we will need all the old stuff in this new thing.

i like the new Technologie but the classics are always classics like Vietnam. Ill be glad if Nam is in OFP2 also if Gulf war style is in it too.

if we advance too much in Technologie we will only use guided missiles and no guerrilla!

so .. dont advance too much in time.. or the magic will disapear. wink_o.gif

Well it depends,with today's military hardware it's possible to press a button and wipe out a city,country etc. but we still see on news tanks,apcs,warplanes,gunships and soldiers.

If it's in the near future it doesn't mean we'll fight with mechwarriors and ufo's.Remember it's 2010 not 2800 or so. tounge_o.gif

In the near future the military will not change so much that conventional weapons like tanks and warplanes will be obsolete.

And from the screenies Ofp2 conflict will not be resolved with a press of a button.

smile_o.gif

I agree the Nam and WW2 were classics but like someone said it's easier to make mods with those conflicts because there is enough material to start with,while if you want to create a modern mod with all the latest "toys" it will be somewhat difficult to find enough material or pics.

The point is that 2010 is not that far away and i real life there might be little or no changes to armed forces of different countries by the year 2010.

I don't really think that 2010 is a great idea either, especially with "conventional" warfare. A lot of the current U.S. technologies are superior to Russian counterparts in a convential warfare scheme, especially with stealth technologies and such. If there was a 2010 US vs. RU conventional war, I believe it'd go a bit like this:

1 - Stealth Fighters (F/A-22s and/or F-35s) gain air superority and eliminate most SAM threats.

2 - Non-stealth aircraft move in and destroy the majority of Russian armor. Abrams mop up the rest of the armor.

3 - Mechanized infantry forces and remote-controlled robots take out the rest of the infantry.

"Stealth" doesn't work I thought I'd let you know. It can be picked up on 70's Soviet radar, and when it rains it doesn't work (at least on the F117's). Even the F-22's and F35's. I'd really REALLY love to see an air campaign without using nukes and WMD's take out "most SAM threats". Russia has the most dense AA field on the planet. Why do you think NATO has so many "advanced" aircraft?

It'll be next to impossible to destroy the majority of Russian armour. They have more tanks than ALL of the NATO nations combined. The only way it'd be feasable would be again, to use nukes.

Three letters... E.M.P. Set one off big enough and most American "superior" technology no longer works. Only "stealth" technology vehicles are able to withstand EMP because EMP's are on a similar wavelength to radar. That and it was first developed to deliver a nuclear warhead into enemy territory and they give off a HUGE EMP.

The USA could never take Russia without using WMD's. A ground war would be suicide against all their armour and infantry, an air war would be suicide with all their AA batteries, and a Naval assault almost impossible because of the lack of places to attack. As big as Russia is it doesn't have much of a coast line.

year 0.

I call this the Jesus mod

Mission One. Turn the water into wine.

Mission two. Have last meal

Mission three. Cary cross across Jeruselm

Mission four. Reincarnate in cave.

And thats all of the bible I remenber smile_o.gif

I think there was a five...that mentions sometime about hell and how batdog is on the road to there ;-). lol

By 2010 the USA will probably have more advanced drone's that cut down greatly on the needs of humans to wage war ,there are already airborne drones with limited weapons onboard and tracked ones armed with MG.

But then i think Ofp2 will just offer a wide range of comparable vehicle's on both side's just like it did in Ofp1 ,even in Ofp1 BIs balanced out the unit's for gameplay reasons ,T80 and Abrams had about same value's ,then there was M60 and T72 counterpart ,BMP2 and M2a2 ,vulcan and Shilka ,su25 and A10 and etc. ,if Bis understood the value of balanced side's in the past why wouldn't they implement it in the future?

By the time Ofp2 comes ot Btw most of the major mods wil have seen completion ,they wont probably take much work to Ofp2 ,so well probably be able to play practicly any time period by the time Ofp2 has come out for some month's.Ofp2 will also give more potential to those mods due to more soldiers being able to be on field at the same time ,deffinatly for infantry big wars like American civil war or WW1 this will be great.

So in the end i do not care to much about the game period ,I'm confident that Bis will make it balanced and that the modding capabilety's and community progression will be there to allow us play Ofp2 in a wide variety of time periods.

"Stealth" doesn't work I thought I'd let you know. It can be picked up on 70's Soviet radar, and when it rains it doesn't work (at least on the F117's). Even the F-22's and F35's. I'd really REALLY love to see an air campaign without using nukes and WMD's take out "most SAM threats". Russia has the most dense AA field on the planet. Why do you think NATO has so many "advanced" aircraft?

It'll be next to impossible to destroy the majority of Russian armour. They have more tanks than ALL of the NATO nations combined. The only way it'd be feasable would be again, to use nukes.

Three letters... E.M.P. Set one off big enough and most American "superior" technology no longer works. Only "stealth" technology vehicles are able to withstand EMP because EMP's are on a similar wavelength to radar. That and it was first developed to deliver a nuclear warhead into enemy territory and they give off a HUGE EMP.

The USA could never take Russia without using WMD's. A ground war would be suicide against all their armour and infantry, an air war would be suicide with all their AA batteries, and a Naval assault almost impossible because of the lack of places to attack. As big as Russia is it doesn't have much of a coast line.

And i dont think the marines are that happy about landing in North Siberia wink_o.gif

To all that dont like the seting this is for you, Make a mod of ya favorite period wink_o.gif

I love the idea of 2010, US & Russia. Although I don't like the idea of US vs Russia, the game can be easily modded into numerous modern conflicts...Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya.

And even some fictional but very possible conflicts.. like a Flashpoint in North Korea, Taiwan, Georgia, and whatever else.

With a little more work it can be modded into past conflicts, like Vietnam and WW2.

I wonder what the scenario is going to be though... its tuff thinking up a realistic way in which the US & Russia can become involved in a conflict together in this post-cold war era.

I just really hope they have a Resistence side included... and more countries on East and West than just US & Russia.

I also hope they include some weapons/vehicles in the game that are only prototypes now... because 2010 will most certainly bring some new goodies to the war scene and it will be disappointing if they're not included in the game.

I agree with Kin Hil. I think a US with Russia would be great.

It's actually not that hard to come up with conflict with the US and Russia. Take the current situation.

Putin is consolidating power and increasingly becoming more of a dictator. This has caused tension in Russia. A civil war is not too unlikely. Especially if it's triggered by outside forces. Take the Ukraine as an example of the political divide that could arise in Russia. Perhaps the Balkans heats up again. Serbs go on the attack. Half of Russian backs them, half doesn't. There you go instant conflict in Eastern Europe.

I would like to see some other conflict than US vs Russia but I think from a gameplay point of view it might not happen. After all, what equipment is the US likely to come up against in a conflict? You guessed it Russian. Since you'll most likely be shooting at Russian made equipment why not go directly to the source. At least that way you get to come against the newest equipment smile_o.gif