Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

Vietnam: The Experience OFP

Vietnam: The Experience OFP

This mod, Vietnam: The Experience (VTE) has been long in the making. Basically all started when SEB NAM Pack 2.0 (NP2) needed an expansion. First came inside version of NP2 with JAM weapons which SelectThis (original maker of NP2) created, after that NAM Pack Air Module (NPAM) was born.

NPAM however got stuck little bit during the development and after some discussions SelectThis nominated me to lead the project forward, from there we formed VTE as you see it today.

Today we are announcing the next step in OFP Vietnam scene, a what we have, small future plans and of course those ever wanted screenshots.

VTE does have now the good old NP2 units, its based on these. We have added tons of new models from different authors including aircrafts, ground vehicles, ground objects and many new weapons.

But maybe few screenshots are in order (click thumbnails).

Trenches

VTE_promo01t.jpg

Airfield

VTE_promo02t.jpg

Harbor

VTE_promo03t.jpg

Pier

VTE_promo04t.jpg

City

Airstrip

Another city

Bunker

Hut

Watchtower

Airfield

Hmm

There will be several old and new islands, these include the good old NP2 object islands like SEB Ia Drang and Ilo Ilo along with our new islands using the new objects featured in the screenshots above.

VTE will come packed with extremely devastating mission load. We will feature single missions, MP missions and campaigns. Yep, campaignS. For example we have a 14+ mission campaign for 4 islands in the delta and highlands, 50 mission campaign for old Ia Drang valley (whole project got started based on this campaign, some of you've seen this).

As the old NP2, we are using few addons as base. These are The Chain of Command Mines, Unified Artillery, USMC Markers and JAM2. These are four (4) additional addons required.

Official Vietnam: The Experience homepage

At this time we do not have idea when the first release will be out, but we aren't getting any younger so we want this out as quickly as possible.

Things are looking very good for OFP NAM scene at the moment.

Nice ground textures! Really fits well on that Island. blues.gif

theres some cool stuff on those screens.

but i must say that not everything is best quality, some bad mapping, some boxy sandbags.

dont remember who was making it, but there is an island with tons of BFV converted objects, The Unsung also has tons of addons.

i think that it wouldnt be a bad idea to share betwen mods stuff like that.

and make one huge, best quality with different Campaigns mod/mods

same addons content for different mods but 100% different campaigns.

Great. Simply great. And those trences will propably see lots of use in many other theatres too, at least if you don't put Vietnamese houses into 'em.

Would it be possible to somehow make tunnels? The "road of Ho Chi Minh" was a pretty important thing about the Vietnam war. No, OFP AI couldn't handle it very well, but look... Imagine a coop mission. You must check two tunnels with your team. You check the first one, and there are VC:s inside it. They won't move, but they still are there, in realistic positions. Then, the second tunnel is empty. No NLF guys in there. But as in real, it is boobytrapped and will kill unaware soldiers.

Why am I writing this? Philcommando or some "rule-breaker" is propably making this right now tounge_o.gif

Looking good, any chances of some really elite SEALs do?

(yes I have a thing for NAM SEALs, in a non-gay manner)

Nice promo pics, i'd really enjoy playing Nam missions again, IF:

- the jungles have good LODs where you can't shoot thru and the AI can't look thru (same for the bunkers btw)

- the nam weapons shoot straight this time (plz don't use HD mags as a default)

- everything is out before christmas. christmas i'll be playing Armed Assault i think.

Thanks biggrin_o.gif

The jungle LODs work fine. Jungle is really nice, and very...dangerous...if there are some VC there, that is wink_o.gif

As long as my Seb Nam pack 2 SEALs can walk through that jungle easy enough. I just hate AI totally deserting on me.

Aww nice airstrips, I love how someone finaly made some accurate vietnam air bases....

Looking good!

It has certainly come a long way since the last time me and VTE met wink_o.gif

Very nice looking island and buildings. I also really like those ground textures, top notch.

If you guys are using a new Ia Drang, it would be super if you could add huts that weren't invisible to AI, jungle lods that don't have invisible sections, and the config fix that allows the ambient sounds to play during the daytime. I think STT had some of those fixes already done, perhaps you could coordinate with him on that. (I remember him saying that the updated Ia Drang jungles were to be the tonal ones...)

Not sure if you guys are planning those fixes already, but those are my wishlist. Ia Drang is still my favorite Vietnam island due to its overall playbility.

Some good pilots would be nice. I wanna make a good bat 21 mission.

Another thing on my mind is generally making 'good use' of jungle details.

Which means: use details where it makes sense and more importantly the player sees it: on the ground.

There are so many great palm trees out, with lots and lots of details - you could count every leaf it seems. But what do you have on the ground ? Nothing, just a brown trunk. Shooting VC between some brownish trunks isn't real fun. What do ppl do ? Adding bushes. But if the palm trees already cause some lag because of their great details, bushes only make things worse.

Bushes are far more important, that's what i'm trying to say.

tounge_o.gif

That is what I wanted to see - the interest is still in there. After a short rather, but meaningful breakdown of interest in OFP Nam scene, all of us, Nam vets, can clearly see that things are finally looking up. Can't wait to download that stuff.

I hope that you guys are going to release it yet before the summer holidays - that would be great ... I spent most of the last summer in Nam and didn't complain.

more common than Willys was Mutt (such like in oryginal flashpoint)

GMC and M3 are a little outdated for this war...

better would fit

M35

M151

M110A2

ADDED:

do i see Vietcong game trees ? :-)

Maybe you could add a T54 to the NVA and a Patton to the US side smile_o.gif

I also see a centurion in the list, does this mean there will be Aussie vietnam troops?

Quote[/b] ]Unfortunately our SEAL models are the good old stock NP2 models. However we sure would consider adding better models if someone can provide them.

Well, some minor modifications could do the job in my humble opinion as the units were far ahead of their time. A better bandanna for example. Lasers bandanna is elite enough. Is it hard to take a bandanna from one addon to the other?

Is there any chance that you could improve Scuds O2 Skymaster? It would be good if it had better textures and a version with wp rockets.

O2SkymasterThumbnail.jpg

Sorry to hear that you cant make pilots. I guess i'll have to wait for some vietnam air force fighter/bomber pilots.

Cool Australians. and Aussie SAS or is that NZ rock.gif

Snake Man, I have made it clear to you in previous discussions that you are unwelcome to use the tag VTE which was registered by Lis.

Again, I will ask - please discontinue the use of the VTE tag.

Thank you for your consideration.

Para @ May 26 2005,12:04)]Snake Man, I have made it clear to you in previous discussions that you are unwelcome to use the tag VTE which was registered by Lis.

Again, I will ask - please discontinue the use of the VTE tag.

Thank you for your consideration.

erm not trying to put my foot in it but...........

VTE TAG

looks like [HC] para is correct

Bases and the river look great, but the colors and the jungles are lacking...some vegetation is not green enough and the jungle is way too sparse. I want to see some of this in flashpoint:

JunglePatrol.jpg

Like Dak seang trees with a lot of undergrowth smile_o.gif The only truly dense jungle I have seen in flashpoint so far is the one from tonal, but this vegetation style differs from that of vietnam.

Keep in mind you can make fairly low-poly undergrowth and grass, and with fog + proper lods lag shouldn't be a problem.

Its hardly easy to judge what kind of jungle the islands have from those few screenshots... considering thats only one of the islands.