Sign in to follow this  
VipHeart

Animated .paa textures..

There's one thing I'm wondering about since the very ealry days of O2: biggrin_o.gif

animated textures

Flashpoint uses animated paa textures to display the water and for almost all particle effects. I played a little arround with thos particle effects and flashpoint honestly doesn't even care how large the anmimated textures are.. using 512x512 worked fine.

Also the zasleh - the gun fire effects - work with animated textures

HOWEVER when you're trying to use animated textures in normal models it simply won't work!!

The strange thing is, that for example the fountains in OFP have animated textures applied to the model ( you can find them in the data.pbo) but those animations aren't diplayed ingame. Now why does BIS include animated textures for several models in the original game when they don't use it?? wink_o.gif

Has anyone any idea how to use those animated paa textures?? rock.gif

the water thing that u mean is simialr to teh setobjecttexture cmd

rudimentary

the flash is onyl one texture!

it appears to be diffrent

but infact onyl teh muzzle model is turned aroudn the weapns axis

im afraid u can implemet custom animated textures in ofp

even aniamted gifs dont work sad_o.gif

I'm sorry Nephilim, but I think you misunderstood me. I don't mean animated textures like animated gifs where you have all the frames in one gif file. Take a deeper look into the data.pbo - there you'll find several textures which are named *name*.01.paa - where the number is increasing.

E.g. the explosion or water textures. As soone as you give several image files such a name sheme the engine will display it as an animation. BUT it seems it will only do so if the texture(s) is/are used in an smoke or explosion effects. However, the engine always displays all frames it finds and the "frames" (meaning the single paa) are not defined anywhere - so setObjectTexture or anything similiar was definitley not used!! biggrin_o.gif

Now what I wondered about is the fact that the fountain model uses such "animated paas" aswell. There is even a "animated=0" setting in it's class description in the main config.cpp. Yet, if you watch the fountain ingame the water won't move - but why did BIS included those animeted textures then??? rock.gif Same thing with the bmps track texture - also animeted. There are several more examples of those textures in the data.pbo..

I'm even not quite sure wether the fountain was animted in one of the earlier patches.. I think I remember the fountains water to be animated in the early flashpoint versions.. but my memory could trick me..

Anyway: the engine seems to understand those animated textures!!! biggrin_o.gif

By the way: the muzzle flash doesn't rotate. It changes the texture - believe me. The "animted" zasleh texture has only three "frames" which are displayed when the weapon is shooting... wink_o.gif

Track textures are animated by changing the UV-mapping, and not through cycling frames.

As I remember BIS included a lot of things that aren't used in OFP. Take the AP-mines for example. You find in data3d.pbo models for US and Soviet AP-mines, but they aren't used in OFP.

Of the mini-Jetranger in O.pbo, textures are missing and it doesn't work at all.

It's all about time, and BIS had to finish OFP, therefore they probably didn't include all features they planned.

hope it´s no bs what i talk but:

once i found an animated water pack on ofp.info, it worked like all the other hisky packs with the exe installer.

a major difference was that it has thrice as much more_anim.xx.pac than a normal data.pbo which has seven of it.

it worked ingame, looked kinda funny though .. but this shoud be the method you guys are referring to, not ?

Quote[/b] ]As I remember BIS included a lot of things that aren't used in OFP.

Yeah, I know vektorboson biggrin_o.gif but some things which weren't fully implented worked after a little work on it..

Quote[/b] ]hope it´s no bs what i talk but:

once i found an animated water pack on ofp.info, it worked like all the other hisky packs with the exe installer.

a major difference was that it has thrice as much more_anim.xx.pac than a normal data.pbo which has seven of it.

it worked ingame, looked kinda funny though .. but this shoud be the method you guys are referring to, not ?

Burns, you're my man! That's exactly what I was referring to!! But how do I trigger these animated textures on a normal model?? There must be a way to do that - 'cause the engine definitley knows how to handle those textures (see what i said about the smoke or explosion textures..)...

allright, ill try to find it on one of my addon cd´s..sadly i deleted the extraxted paa´s just yesterday crazy_o.gif

edit: yay, found it.

here´s a link: http://www.tacticalblunder.com/~uploads/burns/addons/water32.rar

2nd edit: lol looking at the readme is see it´s the same guy who made the transparent water biggrin_o.gif

3rd edit: here´s voyagers contact adresses, he´ll know how he triggered it biggrin_o.gif

E-mail: voyager04@mail.ru

Tested the addon and I like it biggrin_o.gif

However, my question how to use or trigger those animated paa's in normal model still remains unanswered! tounge_o.gif

Anybody any idea??? Maybe some of the BIS folks?? biggrin_o.gif