Sign in to follow this  
Homefry

New Engine

Yea what ever did happen to Colonel Klink's Dynamic Interactive Buildings system?? Ive never seen it be put to use in any OFP addons sad_o.gif

But is this video featuring Colonel Klink's Dynamic Interactive Buildings system inside VBS1 , or is it something completely different only in VBS1 ?

Bit strange that he used to call it Dynamic Interactive Buildings (DIB) and suddenly a VBS video named dynamicBuild_a.mpg appears, not? From this point we never heard about his "OFP" project again, so think about it (and about what is possible in VBS1 and also in OFP) wink_o.gif

And besides, FW200, they didn't say 100kmË› but 100km^2, being the same as 100km*100km maps as I understand it. And AFAIR we don't have any (playable) detailed 100x100 maps yet.

that techs defintly possible in ofp kenji from rhs after seeing that video managed to run a quick test to see if he could do the same and well he could i think there pics on his site

Hmm well if some one could replace all buildings on the original BIS islands to use these 'dynamicly' destroyble buildings... biggrin_o.gif now that would be damn cool

Like i said before im pretty sure that Armed Assault Uses the same Engine as VBS2 (stated above as VBS Upcoming module ) ;)

And i guess that we would not have AA if it wasnt for the VBS2 developers, so i think we should be greatfull that vbs was invented cuz the vbs2 guys did the work for AA smile_o.gif (lol now vbs price complaning threads should be history ;))

Like i said before im pretty sure that Armed Assault Uses the same Engine as VBS2 (stated above as VBS Upcoming module ) ;)

And i guess that we would not have AA if it wasnt for the VBS2 developers, so i think we should be greatfull that vbs was invented cuz the vbs2 guys did the work for AA smile_o.gif (lol now vbs price complaning threads should be history ;))

Proof?

Hmm, no response from someone official. We still don't know what was added to the engine to make it 'new'.

just a thought, but someone u know thinks the same way, aka komuna ;).

Im pretty sure ..., how would they get time to start a new engine diferent than xbox, also vbs2 havent been confirmed or "talked", it has only been talked "a new upcoming module".

i based this on E3 Ralps report, he says that xbox is diferent to AA thats why it makes me think of vbs.

Guess well just have to wait and see ... wells its worth it tounge_o.gif

You guys think AA is OFP 1,5 engine, and only a step in the direction of the orginal sequel planned for mid 2006?

yes i think that, but when they say new engine i automaticly think of vbs engine improvements (like in that video).

Its still ofp with improvements.

Bah. 102.4km*102.4km (that's 10485 and 76/100ths sq km) is where it's at, now if they'd do something about the CTD's at that level, loosen the buffers, and gimme streaming terrain... oh and I need at least 24bit objectID's just for the maps...
Quote[/b] ]* Map covering over 100 sq. km, in extreme detail

I'm really thinking they have put in streaming terrain, as they said they were working on it a long time ago and we could expect it for future titles. Why else would they say 'extreme detail' on such a large island unless they were sure it would be lag-free for everyone? Streaming terrain, ofcourse! smile_o.gif

My personal wish list:

-More control over the AI (scripting).

-Record function for cutscenes (optional in editor)

-Abiltity to walk in/on vehicles while moving

-Ability to shoot from vehicles

-Ability to set knowsAbout values through scripting

-Damaged/destroyed models instead of collapsing when vehicles/objects are destroyed.

-SWIMMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Modern physics (Deus Ex: IW, UT2004 style)

-on-rails option for vehicles in editor

-original scripting commands kept

-control over AI communication (i guess that would go with the knowsAbout control...)

-As much control over every game element as possible!!!

- IMPROVED CLIPPING and CQB!!

Well... I guess that's it.. for now. lol. All I can think of right now anyway.

*/EDIT

umm.. i think i put this in the wrong thread? Moving to development suggestions.*/

Just to set some things clear about VBS1: there is no upcoming VBS2... those announced modules are just that: additional modules that you can purchase for your VBS1.

so I don't think BIA does the work for BIS in developing a new VBS2. It's rather the other way round: BIS developing a new, or updated engine for OFP (1.5 as in OFP:XBOX) and VBS1 profits from that. So since features like destructible buildings und multiple gunner positions become possible in VBS1 (in what quality remains to be seen), I guess that must also be possible and available in OFP:AA.

Can someone explain what the 'terrain streaming' optimization means exactly, and what other optimizations would be obvious to add to the age-old OFP1 engine?

Terrain streaming means the terrain ahead of you is not rendered by the cpu yet until you get near it, and the terrain you leave behind dissappears unless you head back towards it. OFP renders the entire map, so it drains cpu power for objects and models you cannot even see.

Quote[/b] ]OFP renders the entire map, so it drains cpu power for objects and models you cannot even see.

Then how come turning down view distance increases frames per second?

it decreases the immediate load on your GPU

your CPU must, however, track every change on the island ( X building was blown up by Y helicopter ) and the positions of each unit.

i think at least.

I think it just defaults everything outside the view distance to its most distant LOD, so it eats up less processing power than it would with a larger view distance. A smaller view distance is more efficient on the CPU, since everything within the larger view distance isn't being rendered at closer LOD's

Terrain streaming means the terrain ahead of you is not rendered by the cpu yet until you get near it, and the terrain you leave behind dissappears unless you head back towards it.  OFP renders the entire map, so it drains cpu power for objects and models you cannot even see.

Wrong. What you describe is frustum culling, not terrain streaming.

Terrain streaming means, that only a small portion of the terrain is loaded in memory. As you advance the terrain is loaded ("streamed") dynamically into memory. Streaming means, that only small portions of terrain are loaded per frame, so that the game is not blocked while loading terrain.

It doesn't save CPU, but memory, and XBox doesn't have a lot of memory.

Terrain streaming means the terrain ahead of you is not rendered by the cpu yet until you get near it, and the terrain you leave behind dissappears unless you head back towards it. OFP renders the entire map, so it drains cpu power for objects and models you cannot even see.

Wrong. What you describe is frustum culling, not terrain streaming.

Terrain streaming means, that only a small portion of the terrain is loaded in memory. As you advance the terrain is loaded ("streamed") dynamically into memory. Streaming means, that only small portions of terrain are loaded per frame, so that the game is not blocked while loading terrain.

It doesn't save CPU, but memory, and XBox doesn't have a lot of memory.

Nor CPU tounge_o.gif

But streaming its just that, and I thing that what BIS will use on AA.

Frustum culling, is an alternative too, if the AA engine was design from the begining to the PC, something I realy dont belive, but I truly hope so.

hey err. i knwo what i want.. propper weapon reloading .. i mean no wave your hand over the weapon crap... i mean like mag out new mag in cock, and safety catch ,,then fire..

Weapon loading will be in ofp2, i know that much, probably not in AA though.

I would actually love to see improved CQB, most of the cqb problems with the game lie in collision detection/geometry and poor ai. If they can improve these that would be awesome.

With the new rendered waves etc do you guys think that they will have improved the boat class at all?

I would hope so since they act much like cars with lots of mass and a small engine in OFP1...

Would be awesome to see a boat actually bank while making a turn or dig the stern into the water while accelerating... wow_o.gif

Anyways...I should prolly stop dreaming now sad_o.gif

For CQB id love to see that it actully matters what gun you got in tight spaces. As in realife having a long rifle indoors would mean youll catch it on doors and walls and stuff whiles turning round, where as if you got a smaller SMG or hand gun it would be less of a proplem.

How to implement this would be by possibly having collision detection on rifles, so if you face a wall with your rifle drawn, or try turning round in a tight corridoor your rifle would lift up to avioid any objects and walls in the way then take a few split seconds to come down again and steady for shooting, where as if you have a small SMG or pistol it dosent happen and thus giving you an advantage. This would make players think twice before running into a building with a massive long heavy m60 equiped and also give a perpose for SMGs and pistols rather then just as last resort and hardly ever used weapons.

Guys ..

There is a lot to do in the new Game. Nearly everything has to be rewritten.

(3D, Netcode, &&& ...)

But i dont see any answers about the new engine by BIS here :/

The screeshots look very good. I love the feeling in it smile_o.gif