Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Armed Assault - should the name be changed?

what about Operation ThunderBolt

too late wink_o.gif

shoot! :P

(nice search/look up anyway, thx)

ppff then what about Operation Flashlight?? xmas_o.gif

who gives a shit really?

it could be called "the fairy land war' for all I care....its gameplay, gameplay, gameplay thats important, then graffix, then a bunch of other stuff.

name duznt matter at all.

armed assault, ive grown used to it, I hated the name at first as It sounded like a "budget shoot em up title" banghead.gifinlove.gif

Armed Assault is a horrible title. I am really disappointed of this name, and to be honest- it will make it less enjoyable for me to play a game with such an unsuitable name for a game which has a pretension to be realistic, dramatic, full of atmosphere tactical simulation.

Let me just suggest:

"Distant Storm" or even "Operation Distant Storm"

y, ArmA is a bad name. at least as one of that it the first once read has. One can become accustomed to this name, many would think have that also.

Name change? No, thats too late. Late mistake.

We have read much of the makers OFP.

Name change = wasted work and time and no image. For Bistudio, for the newspapers, for the Fans.

Armed Assault. The makers of Operation Flashpoint. That is in the world.

lalala

Armed Assault is a horrible title. I am really disappointed of this name, and to be honest- it will make it less enjoyable for me to play a game with such an unsuitable name for a game which has a pretension to be realistic, dramatic, full of atmosphere tactical simulation.

Let me just suggest:

"Distant Storm" or even "Operation Distant Storm"

I really can't see how the title of a game can influence how enjoyable the game is... its just a name, nothing more.

Armed Assult might not be a great name, but it sure could be a lot worse. If you don't like the name, its not the end of the world. As long as you like the game, thats all that matters.

I didn't like the name at start too.game

But the name sounds much better now.

I bet you will get used to it wink_o.gif and finally like it.

I know OFP is an name that will keep in our lives forever but you will see ARMED ASSAULT (ArmA) isn't so bad.

Keep the spirit, that's what's matter! smile_o.gif

Edit: thumbs-up.gif <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>IMPORTANT</span> thumbs-up.gif <ul>I think its important BIS keep the text (<span style='color:BLUE'>A GAME FROM THE CREATORS OF OPERATION FLASHPOINT</span>) in the bottom of ARMED ASSAULT name.

The same way they have in http://www.armedassault.com

I think that's most of those who don't like the name feels, otherwise this post wouldn't have been created.

I really can't see how the title of a game can influence how enjoyable the game is... its just a name, nothing more.

Well, Think of it as a girl with great personnality that looks very bad, or a pretty girl with a bad breath sad_o.gif

Well, Think of it as a girl with great personnality that looks very bad, or a pretty girl with a bad breath sad_o.gif

peppermint wink_o.gif

What about a name that has something to do with the anme of the american forces on the island? in the images I keep seeing the image of a bull on jackets / vehicles smile_o.gif .

Armed Assault is a pretty poor name. Like someone said way earlier in this thread, it is one of the most redundant names I have ever heard. Armed Assault, as opposed to Unarmed Assault, or Suicidal Assault. Operation Cannon Fodder could work also.

Now I've seen it said countless times, 'the name doesn't matter'. Well of course it doesn't matter to you, your fans and buying this game is a forgone conclusion for almost all of us.

But for those who might see 'Armed Assault Review' on the internet, the title doesn't hold much promise because as someone said, its generic and it sounds like a bland silly shooter.

For BI's own good, I'd suggest a name change. Armed Assault is okay as a name, but a title has to be more than okay for people to not simply dismiss it.

Also, I'd imagine it's not too late yet either, no publisher is confirmed therefore everything in the game could be considered work-in-progress, title included.

The average Gaming public seems to be confused enough as it is about the differenes between, "Operation Flashpoint 2","Armed Assault" and "Game 2". If they changed Armed Assaults name at this point they'll be shooting their other foot.

its easy to see that this game needs to be called

Free willy (william)

and game 2

free willy 2

makes sense to me. whistle.gif

I was primarily with the portion who don't really care, but those of you who have argued the importance of a quality title present a good argument. I don't think Armed Assault is that bad, but if BIS is open to suggestions I might as well make a few:

Chain of Command

No Man's Land

[insert appropriate adjective here] Opposition

or

The Elderscrolls V: Oblivion but with Assault Rifles and Tanks

In all honesty, given that none of us really know the plot details of the game we're all a bit limited to come up with anything truely fitting. But that's my input.

“Operation Peppermint Schnapps†- Only the north produces it and they won’t share (those bastards), so the south has to take some with force! pistols.gif

I still think the name should be focused on the engine in some way, because that will not change very much, but what is done with it may.  Just like CWC and RES were still Operation Flashpoint.

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance

ArmA: An Island Divided

Arma: Ideology Idiosyncrasy

ArmA: Taking It Back

ArmA: Guerillas In The Mist

ArmA could be that name that really means something (I know, 'weapon'wink_o.gif ), and also would be a word that held far more unsaid meaning to each person that was introduced to it.

It's short, sweet, and to the point. Good marketing.

P.S. I don't care what the name is, except to get good sales for BIS.

I don't care about the name. Armed Assault works for me. smile_o.gif

Armed Assault could mean anything, just as vague as OFP was in it´s day. But that one came out ok did it not? At this I´m just waiting for the game to be released.

although i think its too late to change the title (considering release date is less than a few months away), i dont believe Armed Assualt is such a bad name, unfortunatly it does sound like a bad game but if they can advertise how good the game really is to the mainstream it could still do well.

i also think this confusion with AA (Anti-Alising/Americas Army) is a bit lame, just use ArmA!

people suggesting to put flashpoint in the title is slightly out of place considering flashpoint was the operation name of the origonal.

Operation Armed Assualt is a good tie in i think. also abbriviates to OAA/ArmA.

but whatever im happy with Armed Assualt, dont judge a book by its cover  thumbs-up.gif

edit: and who says we cant use operation? just because codemasters owns the name operation: flashpoint doesnt mean that no game is allowed to use the word operation :P its like saying no game can use call or duty because 'call of duty' is a registered trademark.

I remember: In one Video it was shown that the first(?) mission was called Operation Flashpoint wink_o.gif

On the 15min video (made by SimHQ I think) it's "Flash Point", not "Operation Flashpoint".

It may very well be that this wont be the final game name...it says on demo screenshots that this is a Working Title...

either way i don't care, it's a fine simple name. I mean if you look at it, Operation Flashpoint was a dumb, cliche and corny name. Armed Assault is short and sweet, unlike the previous name.

I don't see any point in duscussion. Two press releases already happened. Name is well know now, therefore, there is no need to change.

Imho, Armed Assault - perfect name for military game. nener.gif