Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Armed Assault - should the name be changed?

ArmA is the official short version of Armed Assault smile_o.gif

ArmA is the official short version of Armed Assault smile_o.gif

Not bad, still the unoficial ARAS we came up early sounded better, just like i always liked OPF better than OFP i will stick with aras tounge2.gif .

edit: got used to Armed Assault name already but i still dont really like it much...

I prefer ArmA, when you say ARAS it sounds like "our ass", not the kind of marketing you wish to give a game wink_o.gif

I do agree with you about Opf though wink_o.gif

I prefer ArmA, when you say ARAS it sounds like "our ass", not the kind of marketing you wish to give a game wink_o.gif

I do agree with you about Opf though wink_o.gif

haha.. our ass.. :P

personally i prefer ArmA to.. smile_o.gif

i will use armed assault as "shortcut" ! nener.gif i can not use armass or arass or arma or whatever its call! crazy_o.gif

I like the name "Armed Assault" and the shortcut too! :P

But I'd buy it even if it's name would be "Kiss my ass", just roll out it already! biggrin_o.gif

Aras rofl.gif

I though here in spain (or spanish speakers) we will use another short name, jeje because if you say "ArmA" in your school or college, police will be ... well an example ->

Spanish

Tienes el "ArmA" en casa ?

Translation to english (more or less)

Do you have your "weapon" at home?

Doesn't sound pretty good, and I have more examples in my mind with the words "ArmA" (Weapon in spanish) and the verb play jeje.

I suposse we will use only the first word of the title .. Armed or maybe ArAs, as doesn't have any meaning in spanish.

Of course you can always change the title rofl.gif j/k

Seriusly... I think that the title is not so important, the important thing is the content, the game itself.

"Armed Assault" sounds good to me.

Flaber.

P.D. I haven't read the hole topic, only a few.... to many pages talking about the game title smile_o.gif.

name it BIS wink_o.gif Battlefield in the System

usually word "the" wont go in shorter version of name

or if you want it then "BITS"...remings me the word....... "bites".....aaaaaaaaaah...my ear!

how about "BRUTAL ENGAGEMENT"? its armed assault like, but no aras ,armat ,armas..........! BTW can the publisher change the name?

BTW can the publisher change the name?

Sure, but it'd be more likely if the developer/published teamed-up from before the game was started. www.armedassault.com is already bought, and lots of people know the name, theres been press releases etc.

Also, isn't there a good chance BIS will publish the game them-self?

- Ben

Im pretty much happy with armed assualt, at first i was like 'oh god no!' but now its grown on me. And i like calling it ArAs, any way i dont think the names much of a proplem 'Armed Assault' pretty much sums up what the games about and also a bit more main stream then operation flashpoint, which will attract a lot more players which is always a welcome appearnce on the multiplayer secen. pistols.gif

Following the line of the latest first-person shooters we could go for something like:

In the Glorious Company of Bands of Heroic Men, who are Also Brothers, which would also give us a purdy nice tag contracting it into "ItGCoBoHMwaAB" or "IGCBHMAB" for short.

Still, and now that you mention it, Armed Assault does sound like a Hollywood first-person shooter, quite particularly Medal of Honor, given the fact that Allied Assault, Pacific Assault and European Assault are already a reality. Then again, this "problem" might not be a problem at all.

Those of us who know OFP well will buy (probably preorder) ArmA no matter what. On the other hand, your average CS player or CoD fan will see "Armed Assault" on the shelves and will run to check it out, as he probably wouldn't do with a cool title like "Operation Flashpoint: Red Hammer".

And yes, in Spain "ArmA" means weapon, but as far as I've seen we don't call games by their acronyms here (Madrid). For Counter-Strike people say "Counter", for "Medal of Honor" people say "Medal", for Star Wars Galaxies they say "Galaxies", etc.

So "Armed Assault" would be "Armed".

"Tío, żte has bajado ya la demo del Armed?"

"No, no hay"

"Mierda"

Which translates to:

"Man, have you downloaded the Armed Assault demo yet?"

"No, there isn't one"

"Oh bugger, how amazingly inconvenient"

Agreed with most points, the rest are somewhat random tounge2.gif

Armed Assault is an accetpable name, and will draw others accidenetly into the game, which is good from BIS's eyes, as it's more sales, and from the communitys view as theres more people playing OFP, thus more chance of updates etc.

To the people the name isn't important (People who play OFP, and will buy the sequel even if it's called Attack Of the Moderatly Big Pink Rabbits..), and to the poeple who it is important to, people who haven't heard about OFP (Or haven't played it, more inportantly), it's an interesting name, sounds "exciting", and doesn't sound dull "Operation" tends be hint long, slow process, also similar to a word for surgery ("Having an operation") which isn't a pleasant experience.

"Armed Assault" has a cool sound to it, so if it attracts more people, then I'm not bothered by the name

And as I keep saying, it's too late to change the name anyway tounge2.gif

- Ben

Avon Lady is most certainly correct. Forums are intended to provide meaningful feedback to those who make decisions like selecting a name for a game. It really makes little difference whether "AA" for Armed Assault might be confused with or mistaken for "AA" America's Army. Confusion might inspire my branch of the service to go back to the drawing board and remake America's Army into something that resembles actual combat. I will however, admit that their graphics are fairly good. BIS deserves the Nobel Peace prize for setting the gaming community on fire for the last four years. So whatever they call the new one, I will buy it no matter what, and so will my fellow Vietnam Vet brothers who own and play OFPR as I have for four years. Thanks BIS! Semper Fi whistle.gif

They can call it Armed Ass if they want I don't care. The name of this game is the least of my worries.

marcus

Personally, i don't like the name either.

As Armed Assault (ArmA) looks like one of EA Games' Medal of Honour games.

Although i will buy the game, no matter it was called.

My favourite is still: The Flashpoint Conflict

- Viper

A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Or in this case An RPG by any other name would still take out that damn Tank.

My favourite is still: The Flashpoint Conflict

Flashpoing Conflict => FC => Far Cry.... icon_rolleyes.giftounge2.gif

As I keep saying, it's far far to late to change the name

But, I don't think the game's name will affect the sales. I didn't buy OFP (when I never had heard of it) because of the name, I bought it because of what was on the back of the box smile_o.gif

(About being able to fly/drive any vehicle and huge islands etc..)

Another thing, (as an example), PG Gamer still mentions OFP quite a bit as their favourite soldier sim game, and a update to the engine/content (helped hugely by the fact it's not just 6months after the first game before they made a sequel, but 4 years..), I can see good reviews, which will help sales..

- Ben

Just tell Codemasters to get a life and call it Operation Flashpoint 2 mad_o.gif . And btw, I am not even waiting anymore on the game. I like OFP very much even with it's limitations. So I will just goodnight.gif and see what happens. But the avonlady is right to say ArmAss isnt a good name. Call it Global Strategic Conflict (GSC) or something wink_o.gif

Just tell Codemasters to get a life and call it Operation Flashpoint 2  

Actually Armed Assault is just an upgrade for the orig.

I like the name "Armed Assault"

1. it's short and simple (only two words)

2. everyone has get used to it by now (changing the name again would add to the confusion)

3. i don't care about it's abreviation (if you came with any other name, i will show you another game with the same abreviation, so this doesn't matter - this battle you can't win anyway).