Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Armed Assault - should the name be changed?

Guest Ti0n3r

ArmA is better. Makes me think of Arma Automatika. tounge2.gif

But there's something else they IMO should change, the faces of the main characters. Afaik Guba & Angelina are the only characters in ArmA that are improved versions of the ofp1 faces. Others, like Armstrong and Gastovski are completly different from what they look like now... mad_o.gifsad_o.gifbanghead.gif

Indeed ArmA means weapon. (at least in spanish and portuguese)

After reading this entire thread from page 1 to page 17 and all of the title suggestions, I think Armed Assault sounds like a winner. I personally could care less what BIS calls it, as long as it plays like OFP and has an editor included for all of the great add on and mission makers to create with.

TThor

Indeed ArmA means weapon. (at least in spanish and portuguese)

Also it means War in latin IIRC.

Hope new abbrev won't affect community's creativity (Inter arma silent musae). tounge2.gif

Edit> I've just looked, it actually means weapon/armament too

Even better, it doesn't just mean war in Latin, it also means war-equipment! So Armor, weapons, etc. are arma, so it even reflects on the full name of the game. smile_o.gif

Hmm maybee armed assault isn't such a bad name after all. ArmEC, in stead of OFPEC, that even sounds ok. wink_o.gif

From the open letter: "Armed Assault (working title, aka ArmA) will be our next title for PC with an expected release date prior to the end of 2005."

doesn't this mean that Armed Assault is a project title like xenon for xbox 360 etc? so it probally will change smile_o.gif i hope

I guess the future publisher will be the one who decides the final name for the game as they will propably own the name just like CM owns OFP.

...but honestly the name doesn't mean a shit. I wouldn't mind if they named it Barbie and Ken Joins the Army as long as the content is good.

I guess the future publisher will be the one who decides the final name for the game as they will propably own the name just like CM owns OFP.

...but honestly the name doesn't mean a shit. I wouldn't mind if they named it Barbie and Ken Joins the Army as long as the content is good.

lol, off-topic but,

i had a clanwar against CiA like 2 or 3 years ago in ofp :P

i just visited the site and recognized it, i think my clan was called SOC or EMS smile_o.gif

i sure do miss those times smile_o.gif great fun

I think Armed Assault is fine. OFP to me was never so much a game as a generic combat simulator. The name doesn't need to be flashy.

Furthermore. I like the idea of being able to mention "AA" and have some moron say "Adurrrr. Y'mean America's Army!"" and I can say "No why would I mention a piece of shit game like that?! Do I look retarded? Why would I be playing that?!"

That's just me though.

Same with when BIS was also known by the RPG-types as Black Isle Studios. I used to pull that shit with them too.

Now I just laugh at them and conveniently mention that Black Isle Studios went under.... Just to put a little extra stank on it.

Operation Virtual War : Armed Assault

whistle.gif

Naming suggestions from a BI forum noob....  biggrin_o.gif

Strike Force: Beyond Diplomacy

Strike Force: Extreme Prejudice

Vanguard: Fury Unleased

Vanguard: Urgent Response

Vanguard Force: Iron Fist

Invasion Force: Sledgehammer

Devil Dogs: Locked and Loaded

Devil Squad: Lock and Load

Yeah, I think Armed Assault is kinda generic. I thought a title like 'Operation Flashpoint' was excellent, you should try going in that direction again.

Erm, isn't it a little late to change the name? huh.gif

- Ben

I'm skipping over most of the posts here, however, Publisher Codemasters has the rights to the Operation Flashpoint name, but Bohemia is no longer working with Codemasters.

If thats right then I guess the game can't be named OFP in anyway. right ?

Quote[/b] ]JackBoots Posted on July 09 2005,18:20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm skipping over most of the posts here, however,  Publisher Codemasters has the rights to the Operation Flashpoint name, but Bohemia is no longer working with Codemasters.

If thats right then I guess the game can't be named OFP in anyway. right ?

Correct.

I know the name 'Armed Assault' (or 'ArAs', 'ArmA' and such), is not as sophisticatedly understated as OFP, but I believe the name will become absolutely legendary after it is released due to it's content.  History is laced with seemingly common names that have had the ring of fame injected into them after their owners do something phenominal: Just ask any third world country what they think of Jimmy Carter.  I'd never guess he was that famous.

Can only imagine what our demographic will think of ArmA in 2 years. yay.gifyay.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I have to say that since I started to call Armed Assault "Arms" the name has just got better and better. yay.gif

It doesnt really matter what the game will be called as long as the name has something to do with the content of the game. And Ofp has always been about Armed Assaults, right? wink_o.gif

Hi all!

I don't like the name so much too.

I think the name is a little bit to simple for a real ofp sequel game.

But i think too it is now to late to change the name, if BIS change the name now... Many peoples will get confused. See the good old game Codename Outbreak etc... They all changed the names just some months before release, and the consumers stayed away....

I don't like the name but shit happens... the name is simple but ok.

greetings 23-down

and sorry for my bad english. huh.gifband.gif

I was talking to friend of mine, who likes RPG's rather than military simulations, and mentioned the new name for OFP's sequel and the problem regarding Codemasters owning the game's name rights. He came up with this:

Operoint Flashation

rofl.gif ... hmm

Why not call it..

'Chain Of Command'

'Unarmed Assualt' tounge2.gif

or

Raid codemasters and steal the documents with the coprighted name of Operation Flashpoint 1,2,3,4.. so on LOL

Well you are away from the forums for a while and everything changes, this is the first topic read about after being over on the CM forums and 19 pages later well my first instalment, anyhow it's a shame CM hold the name rights, I can mind on the row with microsoft and the Lindows OS.

Anyways even though it is way late my contribution to names never to be used Op Flash : Armed Assault still to close for the legally thingy cowie but what we'll probably call it at the LAN nights anyway.

Well will go and catch up some more.

i have a dream !as Marek Spanel say, armed assault its just an "working titlle" ,so maybe **BEYOND THE FLASH** has a chance! yay.gifyay.gif just joking! biggrin_o.gif but armass drives me crazy ! crazy_o.gifbanghead.gif I have dream!

HEY one little thing.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I put it in here.

I haven't read the whole thread so I am not sure if it was dicussed before, but what is about the shortname/nickname for Armed Assault huh.gif

I for myself call it ArmA.

AA is to similar to "Americas Army" or how it is called.

sometimes I read ArmASS huh.gif

In the community it may be called OFP AA or whatever.

hm perhaps a POLL would be good... I thing there was none yet.

but in the end ... maybe there is a different name

smile_o.gif

we will READ it, then !