Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Armed Assault - should the name be changed?

I really don't like the name. It's bland, generic and its acronym - AA - will only get confused with "America's Army". Unless we call it ArmAss, which I don't recommend, BTW. crazy_o.gif

BIS, is the name open to suggestions by the community? Or is Armed Assault final, no ifs and no buts about it? rock.gif

I don't like the name armed assault too, but that's not going to stop me from buying it. smile_o.gif

Armed is a bit rough combined with Assault, maybe some linguistics experts could detail that further, and there will be confusion with AA. I personally don't mind, then again, if Armed Assault is the engine name that leaves mod names open.

Question is how available is just the "Flashpoint" monniker. That would be nice, even as just a AA mod.

kinda hard to choose. there is another name that was consdiered for what we now know as AA. but that one was a bit arcadish.

Welcome to the AA meeting crazy_o.gif

I have seen better titles, sorry BIS but this is not a good name.

I don't like the name armed assault too, but that's not going to stop me from buying it. smile_o.gif

That wan't the point. I never suggested not buying it.

Afaik Posiedon's still available correct? Use that for the platform (aka Source) then see if "Flashpoint" is ok for a mod, but in any case stay far away from n00b titles like all the other manufactured OIF/OEF games.

I'm surprised that few so far care about the name.

I thought Operation Flashpoint and Resistance were well chosen. Even Red Hammer is good.

I care what good things are named. None of my boys are named Sue, for example. tounge_o.gif

Cant they keep part of the original name, Operation or Flashpoint?

I don't really like the name either. Just as been said already, it sounds way too mediocre. Like just another FPS. The name doesn't stop me from buying it but it might affect new customers. I'd like to see something more original and ballsy but even more I'd like to see the game ready so the name shouldn't be maken a too big of a deal.

As far as I'm concerned they could call it 'Shit On a Stick' and I'd still buy it.

Armed Assault sounds flat chested. Just like another shooter out there. Anyway, what is it supposed to mean? No shi.t.. they are armed during an assault? Wow, thats incredible

Do you have any suggestions? Here are mine. These are no fantasy terms and I guess many of you are familliar with those

1.   Operation R.Y.A.N

2.   The Placebo dilemma! tounge_o.gif

3.   COLD WAR SCARE

4.   ABLE ARCHER 83.

As far as I'm concerned they could call it '**** On a Stick' and I'd still buy it.

We're not talking about buying or not buying. This discussion is only about the quality of the name chosen and to find out if there are better alternatives and will BIS consider them.

Putting myself in BIS' shoes, I could imagine they are extremely frustrated a this point with the copyright deal and losing their name, which was beautifully original. Maybe we shouldnt all jump on them for the name, Im sure its temporary anyways.

Anyways, what Im trying to say is let them call it whatever they want, the name will have no effect on it being the greatest game ever. "A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet" or something like that biggrin_o.gif

Maybe we shouldnt all jump on them for the name

I think feedback is important to them. And maybe they'll take up our suggestions.

Our goal is to contribute - not to detract.

Quote[/b] ]Im sure its temporary anyways.

All the more reason to suggest alternatives. smile_o.gif

Agree with Avon on the AA confusion issue.

After reading a whole load of threads the copywrite issue still confuses me a bit but it would be nice to keep a bit of the old name e.g.

OFP: Armed Assault

Operation Armed Assault

Are BIS able to write on the box "from the makers of Operation Flashpoint" or something?

Beside this though, the Suggest the name thread from not so long ago threw up some excellent (and some not so serious) names. Perhaps BIS didn't want to copy one of these and so got left with Armed Assult tounge_o.gif

I don't care really about the name, but it should be something that reminds me on OFP...

My first idea was something like Operation Flashpoint: Reloaded, but that's way too arcadish and would only attract the kiddies... rock.gif

I really depends on the topic, is it still based on the CWC conflict?

Haha! ArmAss just rulez!  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Aha!

We found the lone voter, fellas.

Take him away. blues.gif

I really depends on the topic, is it still based on the CWC conflict?

The German Gamestar article says it's NATO against Russia, all over again.

At least I'm hoping that this will be a more modern conflict. Maybe they should call it Glasnost Lost. tounge_o.gif

Haha! ArmAss just rulez! tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Aha!

Take him away. blues.gif

I voted that I dont care. mad_o.gif

Haha! ArmAss just rulez!  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Aha!

Take him away. blues.gif

I voted that I dont care.  mad_o.gif

Oh. One of them, ay?

Take him away! tounge_o.gif