Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Armed Assault - development suggestions to BIS

The problem with submitting addons would be that it might turn out to be a very large task for the Dev's to manage if the flood of addons is even just a portion of what we have in ofp now.

... hmm ... what is is with VoIP, i guess it would be more practic then use a Team Speak .

voice over ip its not bad ! biggrin_o.gif but think about all non english spokers, it will be another babel? rock.gif

let say what i wan't see in AA

ok i hope for vastly improved server for both windows and linux

(to be able utilize top notch server hardware of fall 2006 to maximum)...

seems like models are really updated, i hope they will now allow complex and fluid animations and lot of combinations...

i hope that physics gets improved (at least to match Havok3/Meqon/Novodex quality level and maybe some PPU support as ASUS already annouced they will be producing these)

game should support 64bit CPU, utilize massive ammount of memory (4+GB) and dualcore CPU and multi CPU configs.

Graphics should be at least fully utilized DX 8.1 or DX9b/c? (this depends on what improvements can be done for 1.5 engine and if that can happen in this year timeframe) , qualite support for NVIDIA SLI / dual GPU and ATI MultiGPU should be included (as in time of release these will be "normally" available at market), full support for dual and tripple (and more) display output (ATI, Matrox) ...

support for modern 3D audio(EAX1-4,OpenAL), 5.1/7.1 etc ...

improved and optimized netcode (JIP was said is in

MP SECURITY: implement qualite anticheat system at least as effective as PUNKBUSTER

forget about gamespy query (unsafe, problematic, costy) use OGP (see my signature) ...

ability to be able play OFP:CWC/OFP:RH/OFP:R within new engine with all or most improvements (yes i hope compatibility with community created content means also ability to play old official campaings smile_o.gif

like it was numerously mentioned multigunner positions and 3D ironsights ...

improved and optimized grass allowing hideup (not unlike some pseudo FPS where grass is just eye candy cluttering Your view but not helping ur cover)

improved trees and foliage (match or superceed SpeedTree including branches and leafs moving by wind effect and supporting e.g. geometry instancing (when DX9 supported)

fully workable rivers, streams, lakes etc smile_o.gif

structure of building should be more complex and allow dynamic/partial damage and destruction (physics)

all these neat visual features which we needed to add into OFPR as addons (ECP, GMR, FLashFX) should be already in smile_o.gif)

better custom files management (unified filename and ID architecture for all addons to avoid colisions, will need repack old content, ie unique FILENAME/ID for each addon maker)

Complex AI control interface to manage any aspect of AI life smile_o.gif

that's my hope and vision for AA ...

and in the end ... i want Linux port smile_o.gif ...

wink_o.gif

Mine would be:

- New weapon models, please, because the new human models look nice but the old weapons should be improved to match them, also new nvg and binoculars.

- Sound engine, improving the sound so it works like how it should, also better weapon sounds, explosions and vehical sounds.. no more crackling crazy_o.gif .

- Water damage depht, im not asking for the ability to swim but it would be nice if we could cross a river or make a beach insertion without becoming injured or die.

- New animations.

- New voices for the command radio interface, more "human" voices, also better choice of phrases, "oh no, 2 is down" is a bit cold, even for cold war tounge_o.gif .

- Artificial lighting improvements (vehical lights, fires and street lights), i like OPF sunlight but sources of artificial light should be much improved.

- A.I. behaviour inside forests, for them the forest isnt there and they see, run and shoot thru it, behaviour improvements in forests and towns.

- Realistic loadouts for infantry and armed vehicals, magazines, grenades, rockets, rounds, etc.

- Realistic weapons and characteristics, no more reloadable LAW/RPG, no more burst mode AK's, realistic fire rates and recoils, no more sniper MP5, realistic detonation of grenades and AT rockets, realistic hand grenades, gameplay is fine but the equipment should match...

- Some animals, please, you already made them, i think a sheep, fox, rabitt and dog would be very nice, some birds wouldnt be so bad either!

- Better flight model for helicopter and airplanes, realistic vehical speeds especialy for cars, apc's and MBT's.

- Better weather efects, rain, fog, thunder, snow.

There, not much to ask i think, ofcourse this is coming from top of my head, i can come up with a much larger list of realistic/possible improvements that could be made but for now i think its a decent list tounge_o.gif .

edit: Uh oh, remember guys this is not OPF2, its a improved version of the old OPF engine, i mean Speed tree? Lol, i think the thread would get more atention from BIS if the requests were somewhat realistic and possible, theres a OPF2 sugestion thread there wink_o.gif .

To sum up this thread heres what we desire:

- Dump all the improvements done to VBS1 in AA :P

- Look at all the improvements the community has tried to do and wants further and add them or add the capability for them to do.

- RELEASE IT

blues.gif

What I don't want:

unrealistic, laggy, ugly 3d ironsights(if Ironsights should be used there should be a focus ability in the game so the rear sight would look all blury - like it does when you focus on your target.

Seperate weapon and hands model for first person view like all other fps (world and camera models). Unrealistic the way its done in ofp is much better and more realistic. But it would be nice if you could do so you could animate the arms and hands seperatly so you could make a corect grib, and make individual reload animations - ofcause there should be a standard grib and reload anim.

Sombody demanding what specifications you need to release and addon.

What I want:

Much more settings for guns to make them as realistic as posible and ammo:

mag reload time- faster for M16, slower for Ak47

posiblity to set the sight so yoú can have different zeroes not just two.

Ability to set ammo so it hurts less after a surtan range.

Aable to have Night vision sight on on guns.

more realsitisc recoil - add sideways movemt.

(don't have to be in AA)ability to have a left handed shooter- soldiers should be left or right handed so the gun would sway more when hed in the weak side should also affect reload time.

STGN

how about when an error comes up during an intro to a mission...... Which occurs to me alot. When you press the ok button, the intro to the mission still plays.... That would make me really happy, and how about in the mission editor itself... Having a command reference so you can copy and paste... Or maybe just click on commands, and they appear on Init field in unit... Or being able to open scripting files while in the mission editor, so you can work on a script ingame... Preview it then tweak it... All while still being in the editor.  biggrin_o.gif

let me know what you think

I know what iron sights are, but what are 3d iron sights, i don't think it sounds so necessary really  tounge_o.gif  the one's that are in ofp are great the way they are, they fill my needs  smile_o.gif

anyways i agree with what everything else people have said so far  smile_o.gif

also I hope that they won't over do themselves so that there won't be any suprises left for ofp 2  biggrin_o.gif

Im not much a scripter myself , i just put in other peoples nice scripts sometimes, but it would be nice with a ingame script editor, maybe it could be like a console in other games have? wink_o.gif

or like a notepad.... That opens up within the editor, when you want to open a script and edit it. You edit the file then save.... And the edited script is saved in the directory you chose and when you preview it, the edited script is run. For mission editing this would be a big plus, as well as having a command reference with-in the editor. Afterall making missions in OFP isn't easy, they are often complex pieces of art. And it takes time to master the art of mission making. smile_o.gif

rain should look like rain and all around get wet and shiny smile_o.gif and different ammo(FMJ, SP, HP.....) wink_o.gif

oh, ... and i would like to know at least basic specifications and hardware requirements,

to start economize my money supplies tounge_o.gif

Ohh, and seperate weapon and hands model for first person view like all other fps (world and camera models)

=3d sights/reload anims/better handpositions

This is what I DO NOT WANT! It kills my suspension of disbelief and looks completely out of place. I like that I have a body and everything isn't coming out of my face.

--Ben

Ohh, and seperate weapon and hands model for first person view like all other fps (world and camera models)

=3d sights/reload anims/better handpositions

This is what I DO NOT WANT! It kills my suspension of disbelief and looks completely out of place. I like that I have a body and everything isn't coming out of my face.

--Ben

I think he meant that the player has better self-models with more detail so things are a little prettier. It's not that bad, and I'm sure BIS knows that the "physical body" perspective of OFP1 was popular among fans would got used to it.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"Fired" string:weapon,string:muzzle,string:mode,string:ammo

You know, this is a famous "Fired" event hander, which detects an event when you fired some armaments. It also tells you informations of weapon, muzzle, mode and ammo.

I hope Armed Assault upgrades this "Fired" event handler. I want to know one more information; object:whoIsLocked.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"Fired" string:weapon,string:muzzle,string:mode,string:ammo,object:whoIsLocked

Let's think of the case when you fire a missile. If you can get the object:whoIsLocked, you can also know where it is. Then you can control the missile maneuver.

A famous anti-tank missile Hellfire first hops when fired, then it drops and hits the top of tanks: a top armor is often weak and Hellfire just hits that part. But OFP can not handle such missiles. It just only guide missiles directly to targets. Object:whoIsLocked information must introduce new missile maneuver to OFP. smile_o.gif

i think we need:

Realistic Enviroinment(underwater, air, and terrain)

Realistic Grafics

Realistic Fisics

the rest was been posted before, but these 3 topics are essencial to be real so the missions can be real and therefore the game real and the gameplay real :P

well i think the onscreen text shoutld be a different colour

the widescreen style black border should be 2mm thinnier IMHO

each soldier should be given a small bottle of choclate milk at the start of a mission

AT's should fire backwards and have a frontblast effect.

and other such silly requests..

silly thread really tounge_o.gif

I won't suggest anything major, since that would have to be for OFP2. I mean, come on, there is no way BIS is going to work a radical engine-change into AA between now and autumn. AA should be mostly done by now; it is all just touch-up and polish from here until release. What I would like to see:

In-game script editor. Preferably one that is in color, like CHOFPSE. I might still use an external program, but it would still be handy to have for smaller scripts.

Missions in mod folders. I want to be able to put all my 'nam missions in my 'nam mod folder, so they only load when I load that mod.

Folders for MP missions. I also want to be able to organize my MP missions into folders, like SP ones.

Sounds fade realistically. Right now you can hear explosions from the other side of the island...

All VBS scripting commands added. Possibly some new commands, such as "enableAI" or others (just see the OFP2 thread for suggestions).

AI react to incoming fire in a better way. Instead of just dropping to the ground; take cover behind nearest object, according to where the fire is coming from. I want surpression, for christ's sake! You can't have a military sim without this.

Okay, that last few might be rather major, but I can dream...

Some scripting commands that are absolutely necessary:

- rpm unit - returns the rpm of a unit

- selectedWeapon unit - returns the selected weapon

- lockedOn unit - returns what the unit has locked on

- unit switchLight boolean - turns light on/off

Also an event handler "flaps" and the possibility to remove hard-coded action menu entries like flaps, light on etc.

Possibility to define diferent reloading times, so a M60 doesnt reload has fast has MP5 maybe rock.gif .

I would like to see a function that would set 'owner' for camcreated/createvehicled ordnance/projectiles/whatnot..

So that you could setOwner (yeah I know, stupid name...) with something like unitname setOwner camCreatedStuff...

This would make kills registered in the statistics with camCreated/createVehicled ordnance/projectiles/whatnot.....

And of course those already mentioned VBS goodies smile_o.gif

Well, I´m back, I´d like to leave my opinion.

I think the important thing is that you focused in improving the gameplay and AI rather than graphics, I still think that the grafics and effects should be at least up to this date.

What I also hope is that this time, the game turns out to be mission-based rather than addon-based. Addons at Ease didn´t work, so you must think something else. I think this is important so this time we don´t have 1000 one-man MODs that never get finished. Don´t get me wrong people could do what they want, but I think that mission-making should be more important than doing your countries army mod (that BTW wasn´t involved in any significant conflict)

Collision-detection should be flawless this time.

I think there is nothing more for me to say that hasn´t been mentioned already.

Being able to shoot with your personal weapon, when sitting in/on a vehicle.

-The planes diving when they shoot at tanks or infantry (in OFP1) must be fixed for AA.

-A soldier unit must be able to carry 2 primary weapons example M16 and a AK47.

-Also i want animals in AA like in VBS1.

-Better AI smarter

-New nightvission goggles and Thermal goggles.

-soldiers medics with branchards to carry their wounded teammates.

If those are in AA and the other things that the others have said I would be happy  wink_o.gif