Sign in to follow this  
DFP-Tim

BIS broken with CODEMASTERS?

"sore loser camping" is a tried and true tactic of spawn-camping publishers, best thwarted by end-runs.

Would actully see Bohemia do publish the upcoming titles them self, So they will be easier to release patch/server files or other kind of stuff related to the games, so thay don't need to wait for authoraztion.

It would be SO much more expensive if they were to publish it themselves. Think about it, mass pressing machines, paying for new employees to do the work, etc... It may be better in the short run, but defiantly not in the long run.

My thoughts on BIS and Codemasters splitting:

I think it's a good move on BIS's part. I was never a fan of Codemasters. I believe they would rip developers off, and it takes them such a long time to release games to major countries like the USA and Canada, as opposed to European countries.

If I were Codemasters, I would be SO upset because with BIS releasing 3 new games within the next year and a half that are guaranteed massive popularity and results, I would be missing out on MILLIONS of dollars. But hell, they deserve it IMO.

Good move, BIS. Not so good move, Codemasters!

The biggest issue I see will be the structure of fan-sites that support both (or all three) games.

Depending on how hard CM chases the community about their trademark, sites labelled "Operation Flashpoint something" will not be able to carry the "Armed Assault" or "Whatever OFP2 is called" content as well in their site branding.

So sites will either:

- Become generalised sites supporting all three but using none of them in the site names/branding; or,

- Split their content and have two visibly seperate sites, one supporting OFP and the other supporting BIS's other games; or,

- Will stop supporting OFP altogether and start supporting BIS's new games exclusively; or last but not least,

- Won't support BIS's new games and will stay supporting OFP only.

Either way, the structure of the sites in the community is going to experience a "shake-up"...

so you mean if there is some car site out there that writes about volvo and let say... BMW, they would go crasy if both cars was named on same site??

i dont think so

Depending on how hard CM chases the community about their trademark...

Re-quoting the point you completely missed... wink_o.gif

The biggest issue I see will be the structure of fan-sites that support both (or all three) games.

Depending on how hard CM chases the community about their trademark, sites labelled "Operation Flashpoint something" will not be able to carry the "Armed Assault" or "Whatever OFP2 is called" content as well in their site branding.

So sites will either:

- Become generalised sites supporting all three but using none of them in the site names/branding; or,

- Split their content and have two visibly seperate sites, one supporting OFP and the other supporting BIS's other games; or,

- Will stop supporting OFP altogether and start supporting BIS's new games exclusively; or last but not least,

Either way, the structure of the sites in the community is going to experience a "shake-up"...

There are plenty of gaming websites that cater for rivelling products (Clanwars, Jolt) and these aren't even community websites, they are paid services. So I really doubt anything of the sort will happen.

So sites will either:

Yeah. AAEC dosnt have a ring to it  sad_o.gif

AA CZ dosnt ether

niether does AAbase.com

I have already had a lenghty discussion with myself concerning my website (Flashpoint2source).

The outcome will probably be that I register a new domain, set up a new site dedicated to the 3 new BIS games... but keep some general info on the "old" OFP games - and still have news and info on VBS1.

Flashpoint2source will probably be closed down after a while... unless Codies really pulls off a big one with OFP 2 (which I doubt...but...). My heart is with BIS and not Codies.

(Ok...I can't contain myself... I have already registered a domain name for the new site wink_o.gif stay tuned for an official announcement from me in the near future)

This is propably irrelevant for most of you out there, but Cenega (the publisher of OFp in Middle/Easter Europe [Poland, Czech rep. etc] closely tied to BIS) has been bought by major Russian publisher C1.

I just imagined what it would be if Flashpoint 2 was released only in Eastern Europe. :evilslavicsmile:

Hmm, Codemasters claim they are gonna publish OFP2.

At least that's what the community officer posted at their forums.

yes here:

Quote[/b] ]Operation Flashpoint 2 will be published by us and will not be a dumbed down arcade shooter as many fear. Flashpoint stands for military sim gaming and veering off that track is something we don't plan on doing.

There are indeed many plans for the Flashpoint Community, of which I know you will all be excited by.

Alas I can't say much more yet, so keep your eyes peeled and your ears open.....

very confusing... crazy_o.gif

well, even if they're gonna publish some game with the title OFP2, whatever BIS has in the making will be the true sequel to our beloved OFP!!!

but i'd like to have some clarity in this, too.

Will Wright's a genius, but integrating multiple geniuses on a project who have radically diverse long-range visions is rather dangerous. Maxis would be a good farm though.

*OFFTOPIC*

While your at it, why not implement the features of the sims in ofp? :P like a couple of new features for the civilian side. haha.

If that what CM wants to publish isn't the real OFP 2, I would become really angry, because that's somehow .... can't find the words.... sad_o.gif

This is propably irrelevant for most of you out there, but Cenega (the publisher of OFp in Middle/Easter Europe [Poland, Czech rep. etc] closely tied to BIS) has been bought by major Russian publisher C1.

I just imagined what it would be if Flashpoint 2 was released only in Eastern Europe. :evilslavicsmile:

Which Cenega? Links? I count 4 distributors plus a publisher under the parent holding corp.

-edit-

www.ferrago.com

Quote[/b] ]

Bohemia split with Codemasters, Operation Flashpoint's original publishers, a while back so legal issues meant that a change of branding was in order.

rock.gif

Xbox

Armed Assault

PC (2)

Quote[/b] ]

* OPERATION FLASHPOINT IS THE US REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF CODEMASTER SOFTWARE COMPANY LTD. THE ORIGINAL PRODUCTS MENTIONED ARE SOLD AND DISTRIBUTED BY BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE STUDIO S.R.O., WHICH IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH, AUTHORIZED BY OR RELATED TO THE TRADEMARK OWNER.

So what did we miss, and when? Last time there was any rumbles was when there were rumors of Ubisoft looking to buy out CM. Thought that was just rumors, no fallout.

But from CM...

Quote[/b] ]

Operation Flashpoint 2 will be published by us and will not be a dumbed down arcade shooter as many fear. Flashpoint stands for military sim gaming and veering off that track is something we don't plan on doing.

There are indeed many plans for the Flashpoint Community, of which I know you will all be excited by.

Alas I can't say much more yet, so keep your eyes peeled and your ears open.....

Miker_CLO

Community Liaison Officer

Action/Strategy Games

Codemasters

Well my eyes and ears are open I think, and what I'm seeing is absolute silence from BIS regarding them developing "Operation Flashpoint" branded material. They're even taking great pains to make legal distance, which is not usually a sign of a cozy relationship with a publisher.

On the other hand, we knew BIS was in the process of making a next generation PC game and an intermediate Xbox game. Well now we see something fitting those profiles, but BIS is staying "arms length" from the brand name. Of course you could make the vague remote theory that this is a product line mirroring the Flashpoint line, but what sense is there in making reboxed versions of essentially the same thing?

Pretty much the only news of late out of Codemasters is how they effectively got bought out by a venture capital firm (40% has a bit of clout I would think, especially when you've already got the intial shares farmed around). Secondly, the CM boss was 'promoted' to Chief Creative Officer. Riiiight. A new CEO and COO got brought in from outside, two survivors from the Acclaim train wreck. That and they came in at the same time the money did too. You would think that money would equal increased game dev, but now BIS is doing their own thing? More befuddling confusion.

Unlike the stock OFP smoke grenades, this one has so far befuddled my AI search-bots. I'm at a loss here trying to connect the dots over here with the dots over there. Unfortunately, it's probably a little too late to call up Gamespot et al (they owe BIS big time now wink_o.gif pwn'd in public too) and have them go over to CM's booth and grill them back and forth with BIS.

Might be an option for post-E3 followups, as they say on TV, "The truth is out there"... crazy_o.gif

CM couldn't have been grilled at E3 'cause AFAIK they weren't even there.

Well, since there wasn't any statement about the splitting of BIS and CM explaining why etc. we can only guess what the cause was. Now it seems like CM wants to make profit out of the name they own. Seems quite naturally since they must have paid at least some money for it... but if there comes any good out of it........... rock.gif After BIS showing pictures etc. at E3, if CM wants to do anything that is noticed by the community, they should show something soon.

we will stay loyal to BIS anyway, that's for sure.

@ May 20 2005,17:34)]
Quote[/b] ]

If they choose to work with any developer other than Bohemia Interactive Studios for OFP2, than there won't be a ''Flashpoint Community for them to have plans with as far as I am concerned smile_o.gif

It wouldn't be irrational to assume that Cenega is going to publish the game in Western Europe. The Czech Republic for example even borders on Germany so why should there be a hurdle?

@ May 20 2005,17:34)]
Quote[/b] ]

If they choose to work with any developer other than Bohemia Interactive Studios for OFP2, than there won't be a ''Flashpoint Community for them to have plans with as far as I am concerned smile_o.gif

Exactly

Well the 1C deal should help nicely, they did the Russian publishing of the RES pack and they've got a lot of experience and size from other projects. That will help a lot in markets that have been underappreciated by western publishers, a very interesting move by the powers that be.

Not seeing a whole lot of details yet, mainly because this is still the announcement state and the documents haven't trickled into the online disclosure systems yet. That and I haven't found the background on the dutch Cenega holding firm yet. (All public records btw.) But the announcement posted above is sufficently vague enough to leave lots of questions unanswered.

What this deal is not helping (or hindering) is the US and elsewhere distribution. Go into a Gamestop, Bestbuy, or Walmart and ask if they have any Cenega games. They know of BIS - if you mention Flashpoint.

As for Codemasters though, same goes for what everyone else has said. If they try to pull off an OFP2 without BIS, they're missing the entire reason for the name, the reputation, and the success of the franchise.

a "roundtable discussion" got published on ofpec, mainly about the publisher question.

It's not that you actually get married to a publisher, this is mainly about trademark and distribution rights. And the situation has changed alot since 2001. Back then, development studios would propose concepts to publishers, and the publisher would then cofinance the actual development (Red Hammer being a good example of that). Nowadays a publisher is just a publisher. Also the internet has changed: a good webshop can save you the detour, no? (see VBS) Also CM is no longer what it used to be. Nowadays it is mainly present by means of budget titles and weird concept games (actually, OFP might fit into that niche too tounge_o.gif )

What is the exact purpose of a Publisher? Because OFP got game of the year and most people I know have never even heard of the game but they have heard of Half Life.

SO when I show people the game (even now) they go out and buy it. I have been able to get 8 people to buy it this way. Are the publishers in charge of advertising?

Also who released the Classic version of the game to be OFP but not Resistance? That is annoying. Most people have to back order the product as the usual outlets stock the so called "Classic Version" of OFP ...but not the GOTY Resistance version.

This does not seem to be the most efficient way to maximise the return of a product.

Is it then possible for BIS to be the Publisher and sell the product only on-line? I.e. let you download it but not let you play it without a key/activation. This is one area I agree with activation is when you do not receive a disc and download the entire product from the net. Before everyone starts saying that it would be too much data for everyone. They should allow you to download it and burn it to DVD for other people to install (and backup) but then they have to buy the key/activation from off the net. Might be the way of the future and a way to stopping large companies syphoning off small programming companies hard earned cash. Maybe even get a PC mag to supply it as a cover disc for people with out a good connection (or friends) to the net.

It might speed up the process for the end-user....

Just a thought.

tounge_o.gif

Maybe BIS distributes Armed Assault as a digital download version on their own, w/o boxes in the shelves. In this case they wouldn't need the big Codemasters overhead and could go with a smaller specilized partner instead.

And Codermasters is back on board for the big OFP2 distribution.

This is how publishers 'normally' work...

A dev studio drafts an idea, maybe puts together a little tech demo, then takes it around to (supposedly) mega-corp's with buckets of money. "Rio Grande" and "Dawn of Flashpoint" are exhibits A and B respectively.

A business proposal is also included, involving who is going to make the product, how they are going to make it, and when they are going to have it done by, generally timed to meet a designated holiday market.

The publisher will then - if interested - present a counter-offer, demanding the first-born children of all the Dev Studio's people, 95% of the gross revenue, exclusive copyrights, trademarks, and IP ownership to the brand name and data, in exchange for the following minor considerations...

A) Multi-year financing.

B) Internatational marketing and spreading of FUD/Spam.

C) Packaging and disc pressing.

D) Technical writing of obtuse user manuals.

E) Product channel distribution.

BIS is in a rather unique situation where they already owned a lot of the dev and material from the aborted relationships prior to CM. Unfortunately they weren't able to hold on to the Operation Flashpoint name in the US in the deal brokering.

Online distribution systems like Steam are a novel way to reduce C and E, but they do not eliminate it. There's Standees to be made, shippers to be contracted, obscure legalese drafted in a multitude of languages, slaves to be pressed into stuffing boxes, beta testers abused, fanboys fed with non-commited vagurities, etc.