Sign in to follow this  
DFP-Tim

BIS broken with CODEMASTERS?

I don't think online publishing is good for BIS, because OFP has disappered out of many minds anf in the actual situation, only members of the community would know AA and buy it... sad_o.gif

Although I'm for this system, because pubisheners are in most cases toxic for the developers, and so they can decide when they release their game. The whole money goes back to them and they can maintain support for a long period of time. I guess that would make the games much betteer with less bugs smile_o.gif

BIS should look into Ubisoft, or they could Publish their own games :P

This is BS. According to the article at ofp.info, CM will publish a game called "Operation flashpoint 2" SEPARATE from the current BIS sequal. This angers me quite a bit...so basically it seems they have dumped BIS and are trying to profit off the name. This is going to cause a lot of problems and community division if it is true, and who knows what the game will turn out to be. If OFP2 is developed by a different studio, what changes will this sequel bring? Will it just be a prettier ofp or will it truly complete with BIS's title for the changes we have been looking for?

Discuss here.

Operation Flashpoint fans are hardcore military fans....they are the people that love realism, decent core gameplay and an involving storyline....we know that. Now to make a BF42 clone for the Flashpoint community which has built up over the lat 5 years would be the most inappropriate thing a company could do, plus insulting to top it off. Flashpoint 2 will be a Flashpoint game for Flashpoint fans, period.

We want to bring the game on to the next generation of realism and immersiveness. We have alot of feedback from the community about what they want to see in the game and this has been incorporated in our Design and Development process and we will deliver on the promise.

I personally cannot comment on the BIS game and won't start a playground argument about it. I have a good relationship with Placebo and wish to maintain that.

rock.gif

Yeah right who gave them feedback? We only give/post feedback here and the forum is BIS's not Codies. Who are they to steal this franchise and use the credibility built by BIS's workers. OFP was BIS's vision their work not yours , you just did the donkey work of publishing it.

I for one boycott this game or plaguirazied (sp) whatever it turns out to be for sure.

lol. if they can make a game as good as ofp2 is gonna be then i'll buy it. I'll also get BIS next-tactical-game-as-yet-to-be-named-but-we-all-know-its-the-real-ofp2 game.

its WIN-WIN for consumers. a bit maddeining for BIS im sure tho... imagine someone took your name and used it to make money. crazy_o.gif

Codemaster pisses me off really bad, basiclly they will just create a new game, with new Dev. called OFP2. I have extreme doubts that I will EVER buy anything without BIS trademark (OFP related). Codemasters is using the name to fool people and get them to buy OFP2, they care shit about community and are just after money. This angers me, and I agree totally with what Lt. Hunter said. I can't believe they would do this. BIS should just ignore those assholes, and keep moving forward, some of the stuff they have planned is AMAZING, just read the articles published (I saw a really good one, ill get the link later). Im buying BIS stuff, and shame on Codemaster. They'll never get OFP fans...i rather die! :P mad_o.gif

Yeah, people will get confused sad_o.gif

I tried to explane this to a friend of my and he got confused when I told him that OFP2 isn't the OFP he knew about.

The positive thing about that talk is that he also hate Codi now.  smile_o.gif

Anyway, I think BIS and/or the community could have bought the name if we had the money. I really don't want to lose the name now.

Well... first of all hi y'all and thx to placebo for sorting my activation problems wink_o.gif

Its not that I hate CM for splitting with BIS... I think we all have way too little insight on what went on behind the scenes.

And well... from a marketing point of view, it makes perfect sense for CM to keep the name OFP. At the end of the day, its an industry which wants to make money out of the games being released. So far... so good? NO!

SHAME on Codemasters for never telling the community what went on. That is actually bugging me to no end. We had to read an official press release by BIS to start GUESSING what happened. That is just outrageous.

If it hadn't been for the press release, we would all still think that over on the Codemasters forums, the game they talk about there is being developed by BIS still.

That is total disrespect towards a unique community that still keeps the initial game alive with utter passion and dedication, towards ppl like me and many others who to this very day talk ppl into buying a copy thus filling some pockets out there.

The info we got on OFP 2 was for the longest time only the odd new release date... then suddenly all hell breaks loose.

So to just add a little more to the ongoing conspiracy theories - maybe CM and BIS parted ways long ago already and the delays came from CM's new croonies having to start from scratch?

Who knows?

Funny thing is - while CM are only doing the talk atm, BIS does the walk with 2 games for PC and one for Xbox in the pipe. And first of all Armed Assault is gonna keep me entertained until "Game2" comes out for sure, and that new game looks and sounds so awesome that, had I only seen a features list for it without previews, I woulda been like: "Yah right, keep dreaming ^^!"

So once that game hits, until proven wrong, I believe that CM's OFP2 is gonna look like a sad excuse next to it.

So I hope the publisher situation clarifies soonish, which HOWEVER makes me think a little ...

CM hasn't said anything about WHO the devs for their game are ... neither has any BIS official clarified the Codie situation yet.

How about CM and BIS are currently negotiating a new deal? Its a possibility at least.

Then again, Zzzzz's post on the CM forums makes me believe its in deed over. Now ... it just doesn't make me believe in CM. Wouldn't be the first time that promises aren't being lived up to.

So to sum it up - this whole mess could have been avoided b4 it even started... just one side would have had to step out of their corner and say something about it.

So all in all - keep up the good work BIS and find yourself a decent partner, you deserve it.

As for CM - prove to me that any game labelled OFP without BIS being involved might be anything I would remotely consider buying.

But we'll see about that - if its good I am getting it for sure, and eventually will own both titles.

I think it's time for a united artists in game publishing and developing. BIS and other independent developers should get together and publish their games without CM, EA, VU and all the other bigshots.

The time has come for a decent publisher that releases only the quality stuff leaving the creative decisions to developers and concentrating only on publishing (that and ONLY that is their job, nothing more, nothing less).

I'm really fed up with all this bad politics and missbehaviour coming from the big publishers lately.

What comes out in the end? Bad games, hundreds of cheap sequels and bankrupted developers.

I say - NO MORE !

I say lets all boycott the bladdy thing! Let codem see what we think of this whole mess.. I cannot believe this is really happening, ANOTHER dumb little kids, lets shoot everything up wargame in the making...

Battlefield Flashpoint mad_o.gifmad_o.gif Yaaay more l337 !1111!11!!!11!!!!! kiddies to keep happy! URRRGHHHH makes me sick!

LETS ALL BUY VBS SO BIS GOT MONEY TO OUT PERFORM CODEM! biggrin_o.gif

I think we all should restrain our comments and calm down a bit, at least until we have an official statement about CM and BIS.

We do not have enough information about what's going on yet. Thus, no point in getting worked up over specualtions and rumours is there?

I'm just hoping some kind of official statement is released from either CM or BIS in the near future... before things gets way out of hand. Threads and posts being made both on this forum and the OFP2 part at the CM forums is heating things up, and could potentially be very ugly if this draws out too long.

But now I've been the voice of reason long enough in this thread - you don't have to agree with me, just calm down a bit folks! smile_o.gif

who wants to come with me to cripple codemasters forever.. we will shut the evil company down....

Everyone whos tried to make an OFP style game has failed.. who says codemasters can make OFP2 the same as OFP..

BIS all the way!

Codemasters' Operation Flashpoint 2 vs BIS' 2006 Sequel - Round 1

Quote[/b] ]The Codemasters' Community Liaison Officer has unoficially confirmed that they will use the Operation Flashpoint 2 name for an upcoming game published by them!

This upcoming game has nothing to do with BIS upcoming Sequels and is (or will be) developed by an unrevealed development studio.

That's not very surprising to see that Codemasters wants to make some profits using their "Operation Flashpoint" registered trademark, but we can sincerely wish them to find a very skilled development team, else there'll be some flamebaiting in the air soon...

You can read the Codemasters' Community Liaison Officer full post that he posted on the Codemasters forums in this thread.

Operation Flashpoint fans are hardcore military fans....they are the people that love realism, decent core gameplay and an involving storyline....we know that. Now to make a BF42 clone for the Flashpoint community which has built up over the lat 5 years would be the most inappropriate thing a company could do, plus insulting to top it off. Flashpoint 2 will be a Flashpoint game for Flashpoint fans, period.

We want to bring the game on to the next generation of realism and immersiveness. We have alot of feedback from the community about what they want to see in the game and this has been incorporated in our Design and Development process and we will deliver on the promise.

I personally cannot comment on the BIS game and won't start a playground argument about it. I have a good relationship with Placebo and wish to maintain that.

Quote[/b] ]unervealed development studio...

I really wonder what's going on behind the scenes...

What is CM thinking? While there have been some examples of other sequels being developed by different developers and having success anyway, I doubt this will happen when the original developer has an own sequel that seems to fully comply with what the community of that game wants and even exceeds all expectations. The only thing I can imagine at the moment is that CM copies somehow the concepts of BIS or tries to make something different which, because of their wich for money etc., could end up more arcadish, even though they keep repeating

Quote[/b] ]Now to make a BF42 clone for the Flashpoint community which has built up over the lat 5 years would be the most inappropriate thing a company could do, plus insulting to top it off. Flashpoint 2 will be a Flashpoint game for Flashpoint fans, period.

Until I SEE something by CM, that is just a very hallow statement.

Quote[/b] ]Now to make a BF42 clone for the Flashpoint community which has built up over the lat 5 years would be the most inappropriate thing a company could do, plus insulting to top it off. Flashpoint 2 will be a Flashpoint game for Flashpoint fans, period.

when they say that.. i say to myself.. i dont want a flashpoint game from CM but from BIS... non of us will care if CM make a Flashpoint game, we want a BIS game! so how can it be for us.

Some poeple will be like, i heard OFP was a great game.. oh look OFP2 lets get it.. soon after.. this is crap.. so now BIS are going to have to work hard to find a real good publisher and make sure they put in big letters Creators of Operation Flashpoint

*Searches his destruction-plans for the CM HQ*

Ah, that cannot be, that is just ridiculous, the most stupid thing CM could do, suche a waste of money and people...

OFP belongs to BIS and everything else is theft mad_o.gif

Just because of one single stupid name... unbelievalbe mad_o.gif

Any BIS stocks on sales? ;)

BIS s.r.o. is a limited-liability corp.

BIS a.s. is a private-stock corp.

That means there's privately held stock representing ownership and investment. That doesn't mean that it's for sale or anything. That doesn't mean there can't be an IPO or such later on, but the dangers of that is becoming another EA where the stockholders demand the Sports 200x churn-and-burn. Google's got a bit of a free rein atm, but things will settle down in a few years, and once you set foot in that market you find out it's not you who controls your destiny, it's the Warren Buffett's and Kirk Kerkorian's. Although I'm sure BIS could find plenty of willing volunteers to spawn-camp their mansions to 'convince' them to not meddle with the stockholder's meeting.

Even IF CM fubar OFP 2 ... who cares? If they make it a good game even better ... but if they ruin it ... in all seriousness - its just the name of the franchise that gets a dent.

The BIS game is gonna get a fresh title totally unrelated to CM's game and anything that CM fails to accomplish is not gonna have any impact on the BIS game.

Is there an Offical BIS statement on what the split was or is it a case of none of my business smile_o.gif Which is no problem, was just curious. Codemasters have joined the ranks of EA with spaming sequel titles out one after another. I hope they do the name Operation Flashpoint justice.

Not much info on what happened. Whatever it is,here's thanks to BIS and Codemasters for ofp1 - its been a great collaboration, but we all gotta move on. Operation flashpoint 2, flashpoint 2, or flash in the pan, heck!...i will buy it if it is an improved version of ofp1. I still cant find any present game that can measure up to ofp1 in terms of playerability. About time to upgrade ofp1 to keep in pace with newer tech developements. All the best to all that made ofp1 happened. smile_o.gif

U can read this at bis site:

Operation Flashpoint 2 a true sequel to the million-selling military simulator, is in design and development by Bohemia Interactive. Focussing on another theatre of modern-historical warfare, Operation Flashpoint 2 will introduce 2nd generation Flashpoint Engine for the ultimate military gaming experience with even more realism, freedom and immersion than the original Operation Flashpoint.

So the name of the ultimate war simulator from bis will be operation flashpoint 2

The new game from CM will have other name smile_o.gif

U can read this at bis site:

Operation Flashpoint 2 a true sequel to the million-selling military simulator, is in design and development by Bohemia Interactive. Focussing on another theatre of modern-historical warfare, Operation Flashpoint 2 will introduce 2nd generation Flashpoint Engine for the ultimate military gaming experience with even more realism, freedom and immersion than the original Operation Flashpoint.

So the name of the ultimate war simulator from bis will be operation flashpoint 2

The new game from CM will have other name smile_o.gif

No, because CM owns the name "Operation Flashpoint", so BIS can't use the name unless CM allows it. And I don't think CM will allow BIS to use the name unless CM is the publisher, which they most likely won't be. So if BIS uses the name Operation Flashpoint without CMs approval, they will be in shitloads of problems tounge_o.gif It's like, what you think would happen if Apple made a OS for Mac called Windows? I guess it says that because BIS don't really give a shit about changing it.

I've followed the fortunes of CM and the Darling brothers since thier Spectrum days, and it might be fair to say Operation Flashpoint wouldn't be where it is today without them. It is sad to see this ongoing confusion about the future titles. On the one hand we have CM stating claim to the OFP title saying they will publish without BIS, and on the other, BIS are distancing themselves from CM altogether. CM, like many once excellent small time companies has turned into a behemoth populated by bean counters and law sharks. The heart seems to have been lost.

The disclaimer on the bottom of the page, and the official Flashpoint 2 site (Hint: turn it on) led me here to find out what was going on. I'm still very confused, and as a long time fan of Operation Flashpoint (right from the very first demo) hope that this whole thing is resolved pretty soon. It will not do anybody any good, BIS, CM, or the loyal following, for the current lack of information and rumour mongering to continue.

If it is true that the split is final, then perhaps BIS could self publish. Valves Steam model might work, but this seems to have driven as many away as it attracted. Another method might be to use Live For Speed's distribution policy. Wriiten by Scawen Roberts and Eric Bailey, both formerly of Lionheads Black & White fame, together with a third guy named Victor van Vlaardingen. They have a system where you can download the files, or purchase a CD at cost, and then buy a licence online to activate the full content fro Demo. It has a very loyal following, much like OFP with many buying licences ahead of the next release.

Whatever the outcome, a total split, renegotiation, new publishers, or self publishing, I hope that it will be for the better, and won't fracture the following Operation Flashpoint has grown.

Some poeple will be like, i heard OFP was a great game.. oh look OFP2 lets get it.. soon after.. this is crap..

How do you know it will be crap? Seriously, no one has even played it and they are judging it... That's like saying a concept car will have bad fuel economy even before the design is unveiled.

I, personally, will buy both. If the CM one turns out to be awful, hey, at most it'll be $50, not exactly a substantial blow to the wallet.

Some poeple will be like, i heard OFP was a great game.. oh look OFP2 lets get it.. soon after.. this is crap..

How do you know it will be crap? Seriously, no one has even played it and they are judging it... That's like saying a concept car will have bad fuel economy even before the design is unveiled.

I, personally, will buy both. If the CM one turns out to be awful, hey, at most it'll be $50, not exactly a substantial blow to the wallet.

I might be getting both, get BIS 100% but 50% about CM's game