Sign in to follow this  
Cpt. FrostBite

OFP2 and "armed assault" - what's up?

I think BIS or codemasters should stop keeping us in the shade about EVERYTHING to do with the new games.

If CM aren't the publishers for BIS, they should say so.

If it isn't made by BIS, it's not Operation Flashpoint.

If you look at what's been said over E3 we still know very little. For one, they could at least say yes or no to the commander MG issue.

BIS has very loyal fans, it should remember that... sad_o.gif

I full and completely agree. Good point.

I think BIS or codemasters should stop keeping us in the shade about EVERYTHING to do with the new games.

If CM aren't the publishers for BIS, they should say so.

If it isn't made by BIS, it's not Operation Flashpoint.

If you look at what's been said over E3 we still know very little. For one, they could at least say yes or no to the commander MG issue.

BIS has very loyal fans, it should remember that...  sad_o.gif

Yep, but maybe they dunno yet...

Maybe they're still negotiating.

What I mean is that who ever developes this "OFP 2" (not BIS) it will be a suicidal project to their company. I think I can speak for all of us when I say that it won't be nearly as successful as OFP was, or as well as the true OFP sequel will be (the unnamed project from BIS).

I certainly will not buy (boycott) this "OFP 2" that Codemasters is claiming they will "publish" simply because it is NOT OFP 2, because it wasn't made by BIS at all. The company that will make OFP 2 will prove to us that they are idea stealers and can't think up a game on their own so they rely on an already made game (OFP) to gain their ideas from and then continue with it in a completely different game and then call it a sequel. It will also certainly diminish Codemaster’s credibility completely, if it hasn't already, with the OFP community.

lol. And how does the all mighty you know this as fact?

You are asuming that OFP2 will suck for the simple reason that it is not developed by BIS, then somehow you know nobody will like it, and that developers will die of starvation because it is doomed to failure. And furthermore you are already calling them unoriginal for developing the sequel they will be paid to develope.

You are ridiculous. Codemasters has stated that it will not be a dumbed down arcadeish version of OFP, even if they don't follow through on this, I don't see how you can already claim otherwise.

Your mewling is unnecesary, why don't you just relax and wait till we really have something to judge by. We might infact end up with 2 great ofp inspired games instead of one.

Lets face it, however happy BIS may or may not be with this community, they can't just give out information on demand when the community ''demands'' this. They have other people to focus on as well, such as Codemasters (if CM is going to publish it, than they can prevent information from being released).

It's already more than enough for me that they have decided not to comply with CM's demand for easier gameplay (less realism) and have listened to opinions from the community on how to improve the game. Haven't seen anything like that happen for BF2 (but than again there is as much realism in BF2 as there is money in the average 3rd world country tounge_o.gif ).

What I mean is that who ever developes this "OFP 2" (not BIS) it will be a suicidal project to their company. I think I can speak for all of us when I say that it won't be nearly as successful as OFP was, or as well as the true OFP sequel will be (the unnamed project from BIS).

I certainly will not buy (boycott) this "OFP 2" that Codemasters is claiming they will "publish" simply because it is NOT OFP 2, because it wasn't made by BIS at all. The company that will make OFP 2 will prove to us that they are idea stealers and can't think up a game on their own so they rely on an already made game (OFP) to gain their ideas from and then continue with it in a completely different game and then call it a sequel. It will also certainly diminish Codemaster’s credibility completely, if it hasn't already, with the OFP community.

You are asuming that OFP2 will suck for the simple reason that it is not developed by BIS, then somehow you know nobody will like it, and that developers will die of starvation because it is doomed to failure. And furthermore you are already calling them unoriginal for developing the sequel they will be paid to develope.

You are ridiculous. Codemasters has stated that it will not be a dumbed down arcadeish version of OFP, even if they don't follow through on this, I don't see how you can already claim otherwise.

Your mewling is unnecesary, why don't you just relax and wait till we really have something to judge by. We might infact end up with 2 great ofp inspired games instead of one.

You are correct. This is just speculation and how I see this going down. Although, you have pointed something out to me: The fact that publishers can hire people to develop a sequel to a game already made by another developer. I didn't know that. I thought a developer could make a game, submit it to their publisher and then say "I want that to be the sequel to Operation Flashpoint" (if the original developer is out of the picture, of course).

How I see this is that no one besides BIS can make a sequel to a game THEY made. Any form of "OFP 2" in not the "true" OFP 2 in my eyes even if it is named "OFP 2" and SO many people have said that in this forum and in forums elsewhere. Read around, you'll find that to be true I guarantee it.

On another note, I think the publishing world is crap, at least with Codemasters. Look at the OFP/R box... There’s a huge "Codemasters" label on the front, and then you turn it over then you see the "Codemasters" label again on the bottom, then right next to it you see a small "Developed by <BIS LOGO>". Really the only thing Codemasters own is the "Operation Flashpoint" title, that’s all. Yet they get the huge logo in the front like the name is somehow better than the game.

i have a simple (endangered to be considered stupid) question:

why BIS doesn't publish the game (or any next game) on their own?what do they need in order to make this happen?

why BIS doesn't publish the game (or any next game) on their own?what do they need in order to make this happen?

Believe it or not, there's actually a lot to publishing games. The company has to advertise the game, has to have the equipment (huge pressing machines, LOTS of employees), etc.. It takes quite a bit of money to publish games. A small company like BIS couldn't do it financially.

But yes, it would be fantastic if companies would publish their own games.

Believe it or not, there's actually a lot to publishing games. The company has to advertise the game, has to have the equipment (huge pressing machines, LOTS of employees), etc.. It takes quite a bit of money to publish games. A small company like BIS couldn't do it financially.

But yes, it would be fantastic if companies would publish their own games.

Such companies already exist. The most recent is Eagle Dynamics but you can also look for Bethesda Softworks. The first uses online paying systems to sell the game as well as other online portals. The second publishes the game on its own but signs co-publishing contracts to increase profit.

Then they can always go with the whole online distribution system like Valve did. Just make sure it is actually better than Steam. smile_o.gif

You are correct. This is just speculation and how I see this going down. Although, you have pointed something out to me: The fact that publishers can hire people to develop a sequel to a game already made by another developer. I didn't know that. I thought a developer could make a game, submit it to their publisher and then say "I want that to be the sequel to Operation Flashpoint" (if the original developer is out of the picture, of course).

How I see this is that no one besides BIS can make a sequel to a game THEY made. Any form of "OFP 2" in not the "true" OFP 2 in my eyes even if it is named "OFP 2" and SO many people have said that in this forum and in forums elsewhere. Read around, you'll find that to be true I guarantee it.

On another note, I think the publishing world is crap, at least with Codemasters. Look at the OFP/R box... There’s a huge "Codemasters" label on the front, and then you turn it over then you see the "Codemasters" label again on the bottom, then right next to it you see a small "Developed by <BIS LOGO>". Really the only thing Codemasters own is the "Operation Flashpoint" title, that’s all. Yet they get the huge logo in the front like the name is somehow better than the game.

lets see, when soldner is still under develop many ppl is trying to know how good it is when put it with OFP, and the developer and the publisher say so too, but then see happened after the game released.

i wouldnt say that the OFP2 made by codie and someone else is "crap", but aslong as BIS is not the developer and not using the engine we know as the backbone of OFP today i have to wondered if it could match the OFP name we used to have, remember, words from the publisher are not always that accrate(or they mean to be inaccrate).

This isnt a game, its all about <span style='color:DarkRed'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>BUSINESS</span></span>

Remember 90% of what you see posted and press released is more about either party trying to better there position at the negotiating table. Not just between these parties, BIS would no doubt be looking to attract the attentions of a better deal from other than CodeMashers. Lets face it, we'll still buy it even if it isnt called "Operation Flashpoint".

Gnat @ May 22 2005,08:09)]Lets face it, we'll still buy it even if it isnt called "Operation Flashpoint".

The point is that we won't buy something called OFP2, but which was not made by BIS.

Exactly.

Plus if CM are pushing for this vietnam/70's/80's era theme they mentioned once, who the wants it anyway? rock.gif

What I want is flashpoint modernised, and without all the limitations of OFP.. who's going to give us this?

Random game maker #43568?

Yeah they can keep it.

Only BIS understand what people want from the game, which is how they got it so right in the first place.

I guess the upside to all of this is that the fake OFP2 can attract all the CounterStrike lamers and they can go calling themselves "l33t m0f0's" thinking they're playing a military sim, while we can have a mature and sensible comunity again playing the only proper mil. sim to come out in years. biggrin_o.gif

Exactly.

Plus if CM are pushing for this vietnam/70's/80's era theme they mentioned once, who the wants it anyway? rock.gif

What I want is flashpoint modernised, and without all the limitations of OFP.. who's going to give us this?

Random game maker #43568?

Yeah they can keep it.

Only BIS understand what people want from the game, which is how they got it so right in the first place.

I guess the upside to all of this is that the fake OFP2 can attract all the CounterStrike lamers and they can go calling themselves "l33t m0f0's" thinking they're playing a military sim, while we can have a mature and sensible comunity again playing the only proper mil. sim to come out in years. biggrin_o.gif

Well said. That's basically my point also.

I am glad BIS have taken the decision to set OFP2 in the near future. Not Vietnam/70s/80s. I certainly trust BIS to make a very good game. smile_o.gif. I am very pleased with how it looks so far and what the gameplay has been stated to be like. In my opinion BIS did a very good job with OFP and have supported the community well and i cant wait to see what we get from OFP2

Quote[/b] ]Only BIS understand what people want from the game, which is how they got it so right in the first place.

- I agree with this totally! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Most users ever online was 252 on May 16 2005,20:29

Lol, I would have never thought we would be able to break the existing record!

Don't be such a pessimist, better and busier times are ahead of us! smile_o.gif

Don't be such a pessimist, better and busier times are ahead of us!  smile_o.gif

Like ArAs release and "game 2" release.

I don't think we can get a new record when the xbox version comes.

So... Armed Assault is from BIS, but Operation Flashpoint 2 is from Codemasters and has nothing to do with OFP, or am I missing something here?

So... Armed Assault is from BIS, but Operation Flashpoint 2 is from Codemasters and has nothing to do with OFP, or am I missing something here?

Correct, BIS is working on a OFP1 sequel, but they dont have a name yet. wink_o.gif

But, the game from which I saw pictures... they were from the BIS sequal to OFP1, right?

Right. I think nobody knows how the codies "ofp2" will look like,  unless the upcoming enemy in sight is that codie "ofp2"  biggrin_o.gif

But, the game from which I saw pictures... they were from the BIS sequal to OFP1, right?

Well, you saw pictures from xbox game, ARAS and "game 2" so i hope you wont mix'em tounge_o.gif .