Sign in to follow this  
Gadger

World Hockey Championships

So what you are saying is that unlike swimmers,skiiers, runners and other "real sports men" hockey players have other priorities rather than defending their nations colors each year?

Let's hope the strike continues then so they can learn that smile_o.gif.

I think this short sightedness is doing little to promote hockey as a world sport.

BM

First of all, the players are LOCKED OUT. Its not a strike.

Second of all, you are calling hockey players "prima donnas"?

Obviously you never played the game, to say they are inferior athletes to runners, and skiers is just ludicous. With the exeption of Football players ( North American ), they are quite likely the toughest athletes on the planet. I'd also have to add Rugby, and Lacrosse players too. Also tough athletic breeds.

How many athletes do you see get their faces stiched up, on the bench?? Or get their teeth knocked out, and don't miss a shift. Prima Donnas, give it up.

And thirdly, only NHL players that are NOT in the playoffs are eligable to play in the tournement. They don't have a choice. They play for their NHL team, and for the Stanley Cup, which means alot more to them .

Besides, the Olympics, and the World Cup are superior tournements anyway.

And who gives a crap if Hockey is not growing in popularity. It is for the people who understand it, and have had the balls to put on a pair of skates and PLAY the game. If you never played it, you won't get it. You won't understand what sacrifice, heart and disipline is. Would you dive in front of a puck risking injury, even to your unprotected face?? Many players do. Why? to win the Stanley Cup.

Would you dive in front of a puck risking injury, even to your unprotected face?? Many players do. Why? to win the Stanley Cup.

Or to get that fat, 12 million USD paycheck? tounge_o.gif

Sadly - I won't be home to watch any of the quarterfinals tomorrow. Sweden-Switzerland could be an interesting game! smile_o.gif

Not to mention Czech rep.-USA crazy_o.gif

So what you are saying is that unlike swimmers,skiiers, runners and other "real sports men" hockey players have other priorities rather than defending their nations colors each year?

Let's hope the strike continues then so they can learn that smile_o.gif.

I think this short sightedness is doing little to promote hockey as a world sport.

BM

First of all, the players are LOCKED OUT. Its not a strike.

Second of all, you are calling hockey players "prima donnas"?

Obviously you never played the game, to say they are inferior athletes to runners, and skiers is just ludicous. With the exeption of Football players ( North American ), they are quite likely the toughest athletes on the planet. I'd also have to add Rugby, and Lacrosse players too. Also  tough athletic breeds.

How many athletes do you see get their faces stiched up, on the bench?? Or get their teeth knocked out, and don't miss a shift. Prima Donnas, give it up.

And thirdly, only NHL players that are NOT in the playoffs are eligable to play in the tournement. They don't have a choice. They play for their NHL team, and for the Stanley Cup, which means alot more to them .

Besides, the Olympics, and the World Cup are superior tournements anyway.

And who gives a crap if Hockey is not growing in popularity. It is for the people who understand it, and have had the balls to put on a pair of skates and PLAY the game. If you never played it, you won't get it. You won't understand what sacrifice, heart and disipline is. Would you dive in front of a puck risking injury, even to your unprotected face?? Many players do. Why? to win the Stanley Cup.

Have you ever jumped from a 90 meter cliff with skiis? So let's not "jump" to conclusions here, you could actually die for real if you fail badly smile_o.gif. And Rugby is way way tougher than Hockey.

Not only that but all those answer when the nation calls for them. They don't first ask themselves "What can the country do for me" but rather "What can I do for the country".

This is what makes them real atheletes and Hockey Players mere Circus actors in my book. Who also happens to have their teeth broken now and then ;).

Lastly. Football(soccer) players also makes loads of money. Yet they wont hesistate when the nation calls for their services. No bs like "my club needs me". This is what real athletes/sportsmen does, they pull their weight for the big team, namelly the country. So I don't know exactly how those hockey players "sacrifice" themselves, other than crying and whining when they dont get that extra buck. Not even boxers are that whiny.

Btw, I think most in this country has tried hockey at least once or at least Bandy smile_o.gif. It's still not as tough as Rugby(which also isn't particulary big here)

marcus

NHL players are under contract to play for their teams. If they are still in the play-offs, they are obligated. So you are obviously ignorant in many areas about hockey.

If hockey is a Circus act to you, I don't care. If you feel swimmer and runners and skiers are more your type of athlete, good for you. I don't agree.

You obviously are draw to individual sports, where you wear spandex. Whatever floats your boat.

I like team sports.

Now back to the hockey talk.

I think Canada is gonna have their hands full today with the Slovaks.

Sweden looks very good. Even without Mats Sundin and Peter Forsberg. Well there is no Tommy Salo this year wink_o.gif

This tourney is too tough to call. Should be very entertaining, now that the games are do or die.

16:15 CET - CZ vs USA. Whoever wins this will win the tournament methinks. biggrin_o.gif

NHL players are under contract to play for their teams. If they are still in the play-offs, they are obligated. So you are obviously ignorant in many areas about hockey.

If hockey is a Circus act to you, I don't care. If you feel swimmer and runners and skiers are more your type of athlete, good for you. I don't agree.

You obviously are draw to individual sports, where you wear spandex. Whatever floats your boat.

I like team sports.

No I'm drawn to sports where they act as sportsmen (ie loyal to their country). Whether they wear spandex, armor or are naked doesn't matter. It's acting like a true athlete that coutns.

Like football and rugby players for instance who also happens to have contract with their clubs, but they also remember that they are citiziens of a country. You are forgetting my key statement here. The country (in this case USA) participates in a championship, it doesn't matter if it's a boring one or a crap competition. It is still the nation participating. Then imho it should be a matter of honour for clubs/players to do that too if they are the least patriotic, it's about defending your nations honour(unless you are flag burning type) and that is not a payment or contract issue you can neglect. If it means you compete in spandex then that's what you should do.

It's a bit like soldiers saying "Nah I don't like this war in country X, i'd rather go to Fiji and fight". You wont hear a true soldier say something like that.

You may have noticed that I criticise hockey players and not hockey as a sport. The lockout should continue for awhile more and then they will learn more about sportsmanship. You are probably right that maybe this competition is too often or too "unserious" or whatever, then they should change that but until they do they still participate as it is. You also misunderstood the thing about popularity, i don't give a flying f about tv ratings. I talk about the sport getting new talent and more players. In order to achieve that you need to make the sport attract new people.

BM

You just don't get it do you. They are LEGALLY bound by contract to play for their NHL clubs. Besides the Olympics and the World cup are what matter.

Just stop giving your advice on how to improve hockey, because you don't make sense. You should not give advice on a subject you don't have good, or full knowledge about. You are obviously extremely ignorant on the subject.

Now this thread was about the World Hockey Championship...not what do you think of hockey?

16:15 CET - CZ vs USA. Whoever wins this will win the tournament methinks.  biggrin_o.gif

It should be a very good game. Unfortunately it doesnt appear that it's going to be televised in the US.

16:15 CET - CZ vs USA. Whoever wins this will win the tournament methinks.  biggrin_o.gif

It should be a very good game. Unfortunately it doesnt appear that it's going to be televised in the US.

Are you serious?? Damn, up here in Canada every game is on tv, including all the round robin games.

Are you serious?? Damn, up here in Canada every game is on tv, including all the round robin games.

Here in the UK no matches are being shown, luckily I can -just- about get access to tv3 from Sweden. I'm pretty much reduced to only being able to view the Swedish matches, although there's always the highlights. Unsuprisngly my grasp of the Swedish language has improved somewhat over the past few weeks.

You just don't get it do you. They are LEGALLY bound by contract to play for their NHL clubs. Besides the Olympics and the World cup are what matter.

Just stop giving your advice on how to improve hockey, because you don't make sense. You should not give advice on a subject you don't have good, or full knowledge about. You are obviously extremely ignorant on the subject.

Now this thread was about the World Hockey Championship...not what do you think of hockey?

I tried to put it in as plain English as I could but you refuse to listen. In other sports contract is not an ISSUE when it comes to international competitions. They are obliged to take part.

And I've got info for you. Watching sports on TV with a six pack doesn't make you an expert on a sport. Having actually played it makes a difference. I've tried most sports at least once. And yes I know the rules of hockey perfectly well. And yes I have the right to issue opinions of the state of hockey and the players with their greed destroying a sport I actually happen to like. Nevermind their choice of equipment(since that apparently is important to you). I also enjoy boxing as well, with the only equipment being a pair of gloves and shorts smile_o.gif.

Can I make my statement more plainer? You can choose to disagree but no need to insult.

marcus

No need for insults??

But you say watching a sport on tv with a 6 pack does'nt make me an expert? I never claimed to be an expert. Your just on a mission to p#ss me off. What makes you think I don't play?

I've been playing hockey since I was 4 years old. You don't need to know how long ago that was. But its a long time.So once again, one of your statements is false. You just shoot your mouth off blindly.

Now obviously you are impressed by players who don't honor there contracts. If you are an owner, or a fan. What would you think of a player who leaves your team at the most important time of the year. The Stanley Cup play-offs are what you play for all season. You don't leave to play in some minor tournement. The players DO play in the Olympics, they DO play in the World Cup.

This is not a big tournement. Get it?rock.gif

What would you think of a Football (soccer) player who left his team to play in some minor tournement, during the World Cup? Is it getting clearer?rock.gif

I fully have understood all of your posts, but you are just on a mission to bash the players, that much is obvious.

Now I'm holding back insulting you, in the hope you will go away. You insulted a game I love, by calling it a circus, and degrading the great sport. This is going nowhere, I am sure as hell, alot different than you...thank God for that. I'm done wasting my time.

CZ beat USA on shoot out, w0000t.  biggrin_o.gif Come back from 0-2 in 3rd period, omg!  biggrin_o.gif

Canada edge past Slovakia 5-4.

Woot!! Canada is still alive biggrin_o.gif  5-4 over the Slovaks. Whos next, Russia or Finland? Both are good teams.

Bye bye USA...

Sweden has to beat Switzerland.

Sweden 2 - 1 Switzerland

Sweden is really playing well this tournement.

Canada vs Russia

Sweden vs Czechs.

Canada Sweden final?

Sweden is really playing well this tournement.

Canada vs Russia

Sweden vs Czechs.

Canada Sweden final?

cz - canada final. wink_o.gif

cz - canada final. wink_o.gif

I do hope so aswell - I'm tired of Sweden getting beat by Canada in the finals every bloodeh year tounge_o.gif

Yeah I'd prefer a Sweden-Russia final, Canada is scary. But that's not gonna happen. I think we can win over Canada one more time though.

Yeah I'd prefer a Sweden-Russia final, Canada is scary. But that's not gonna happen. I think we can win over Canada one more time though.

THINK AGAIN  biggrin_o.gif

team Canada all the way

ca.gif

They need to remake the World Cup.. It would be better if the WC was every fourth year so it would be a big tournament every second year with the olympics added. They also need to get a deal with the major leagues so the best players will be available for the tournaments.

The WC is nothing but a b-tournament with the current setup..

Mentioning that Sweden having the slightest chance of beating cz later tonight is treading on thin ice in these parts. wink_o.gif