Sign in to follow this  
Gadger

World Hockey Championships

First I hope this topic is not too O/T. There seems to be a fair precedent for it, with the footie champions league thread and last years hockey world cup being allowed.

Second, kinda suprised I'm beating the donk and Denoir to starting this. tounge_o.gif

http://www.ihwc.net/index.ihwc

Lucky lucky Swede's. But, can't really take anything away from the Tre Kronors, beating Canada is no small feat.

Czech Republic 5 - 1 Slovakia, haha. Wait, hahaha. That's all I have to say on the matter, anything more and flame-wars will break-out. biggrin_o.gif It was great to see Jagr played after all the umming and arring after the past few days too.

After the Swede's performance against Canada its gotta be a cz - se final now, bring it on lyckas!

Sweden - Canada was definetly the best game so far..

It was great to see Jagr played after all the umming and arring after the past few days too.

Off-Topic: IMHO Jagr hasn't been really good after getting transferred out of Penguins. Or maybe it was just Mario's magnificent playmaking skills...

About the current championship games, I hope Finland would win, but that's so unlikely to happen biggrin_o.gif

I wondered why no one ever started this thread this year but I didn't bother doing it myself.

It's been good so far smile_o.gif To copy off of my sig:

Sweden 3 -- 2 Ukraine

Sweden 7 -- 0 Denmark

Sweden 5 -- 1 Finland

Sweden 5 -- 4 Canada

Tonight's game against Canada was real nice... from 0-2 to 5-4.

...and it really wasn't luck imo.

I thought it was going to be a thread on Field hockey, i'm disapointed.

Does the UK have an ice hockey team?

So did I... sad_o.gif

Field hockey is much more interesting then Icehockey smile_o.gif

Oh please, hockey is sooo the 90´s. Formula 1 is the way to go!

tounge_o.gif

Amen brother! biggrin_o.gif

This is the only hockey we get to see in the US because of the labor dispute. I really hate these greedy athletes and owners. The entire hockey season and the NHL draft have been cancelled because they could not close a $2 million gap. Now all those people who work at the arenas got less money because they didnt have the same amount of events being held at the venues and the upcoming college players who were looking forward to starting their NHL careers are all screwed.

@ May 08 2005,02:38)]
It was great to see Jagr played after all the umming and arring after the past few days too.

Off-Topic: IMHO Jagr hasn't been really good after getting transferred out of Penguins. Or maybe it was just Mario's magnificent playmaking skills...

About the current championship games, I hope Finland would win, but that's so unlikely to happen biggrin_o.gif

Actually, I think he has sucked ever since he signed that $90 million contract.

Just like Yashin. They get the big contract, and go into semi-retirement.

Hockey is a timeless sport. Skill and toughness. But the lockout has left me quite withdrawn from hockey this year. But I know as soon as my Maple Leafs are back in action, I'll be there.

Formula 1, please...give me NASCAR anyday. I want passing on the track, not pit row.

Crappy game Sweden vs USA (1-5), although Sweden got better and better as the game progressed, after starting off really bad.

Now, if both Canada and the USA beat Ukraine, and Sweden beats Latvia, Canada & USA will have 7 points each and Sweden 8 in (and thus winning) our group?

Canada is gonna shine in the Medal round. 2 good reasons, Martin Brodeur, and Rick Nash.

Even if I watch. I could never understand why they had to put it that late in the season. I mean it's spring(almost summer) outside. I have already put the hockey season behind me(thank you VFHC for the gold). Now it's football(soccer) all the way in my mindset.

Hockey World Championships should be in eg. February when it's still winter.

Any good reason why it's so late? I'm assuming that US/Canada too is more focused on other sports this time of the year.

(btw I know it's normally NHL playoffs now but would it kill them to have a 1 week pause for this?)

bm

This tournament is always at this time of the year. Its just that nobody usually really cares, because they are watching the NHL playoffs.

I guess it is suppose to be bigger in Europe. But I hear ya. Its Summer weather now. Besides the whle Lockout BS has curbed my deire for hockey.

NASCAR is what I follow now.

This tournament is always at this time of the year. Its just that nobody usually really cares, because they are watching the NHL playoffs.

I guess it is suppose to be bigger in Europe. But I hear ya. Its Summer weather now. Besides the whle Lockout BS has curbed my deire for hockey.

But that's why it should be put eariler as not to crash against those.

It's about a nations honour after all. Who could not be interested in that?

BM

BM

This championships isn't all that prestigious, its played every year, and the countries who participate don't necessarily have their best players available to play, only those that are not playing playoff hockey.

Yes, I do agree that this time of year isn't really hockey season. But the owners aren't going to stop for two weeks now in the middle of the playoffs so some (not all), of their players can play in the tournament. That’s only done for the Olympics, every four years, and that’s been only for the past 2 winter games and the players may not be there in 2006. The Olympics are a much better venue to have the best players of each country play for their nation's honor.

BM

This championships isn't all that prestigious, its played every year, and the countries who participate don't necessarily have their best players available to play, only those that are not playing playoff hockey.

Yes, I do agree that this time of year isn't really hockey season. But the owners aren't going to stop for two weeks now in the middle of the playoffs so some (not all), of their players can play in the tournament. That’s only done for the Olympics, every four years, and that’s been only for the past 2 winter games and the players may not be there in 2006. The Olympics are a much better venue to have the best players of each country play for their nation's honor.

But this year most teams have all the players there they wanted. Most playoffs are finsished by this time of the year anyway and the one tournament that mostly isn't, the stanley cup (NHL) isn't taking place this year so most teams have their finest players available.

So what you are saying is that unlike swimmers,skiiers, runners and other "real sports men" hockey players have other priorities rather than defending their nations colors each year?

Let's hope the strike continues then so they can learn that smile_o.gif.

I think this short sightedness is doing little to promote hockey as a world sport.

BM

what? I say that the argument that the best players are playing in play offs doesn't really apply this year. This year the national teams are in "full strenght" at the World Championship. That's all I say.

SPORT-10s01-faxxet-4_368.jpg

"Save us, Sweden!"

(Not sure if I translated maaleja right.)

We need to draw against Latvia tonight to win the group; and if we do, Finland will be better off. Rare thing they want us to win smile_o.gif

p><p>We need to draw against Latvia tonight to win the group; and if we do, Finland will be better off. Rare thing they want us to win [img]<a href=http://forums.bistudio.com/oldsmileys/smile_o.gif' alt='smile_o.gif'>

The headline says "Goals, Sweden"

Anyway, I might watch the game but i predict it to be boring. Btw, I like Finlands new goalie, not Norrena but that other guy we have right now.

what? I say that the argument that the best players are playing in play offs doesn't really apply this year. This year the national teams are in "full strenght" at the World Championship. That's all I say.

Sorry, didn't mean to jump on you smile_o.gif.

It was more criticism of the hockey players. They are more like primadonnas in a circus than real athletes.

Thankfull there's allways "real" winter athletes to watch such as ski jumping and downhill smile_o.gif.

BM

Sweden - Latvia is about to start, but I gotta study physics at the same time. One eye up on the tv and one down on the papers. I'll let the eyes switch now and then so that they don't get stuck like that.

Sweden 9 - 1 Latvia

It wasn't a thriller obviously, but it was entertaining. As I was studying at the same time I probably missed about half the game in total, but in my opinion Latvia weren't as bad as the score suggests; but they were probably worn out from the game against Finland yesterday, just like Sweden was against the USA (1 - 5) after playing against Canada (5-4) the day before.

Czech Republic 5 - 1 Belarus

The result pairs the Czechs with the USA in Thursday's quarterfinal in Vienna. Russia will take on Finland in the other quarterfinal, which will also be played in Vienna earlier that day.

Aww godammit. sad_o.gif