Sign in to follow this  
combat-agent

Network Problem

I have (had) a network set up using two computers. Both computers are now xp. I had put one computer away for awhile because I didnt need it. Recently I hooked it back up and installed xp on it. Also, I set up the network again. The network is composed of 2 computers hooked via a hub using 2 cat5s. But this time round the network doesnt seem to want to work. The network cards are detected and installed properly. All equipment is in proper working order (hub, cat5s). I believe the problem is something to do with IP addressing. When I check the Network status it says invalid IP address sometimes, sometimes it says autmatic private address . Also It has a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP. Which i read about these are something to do with DCHP. This goes for both computers. When I try utilizing the repair option it says "The following steps of the repair operation failed: renewing your IP address."

I have the IPX/SPX and TCP/IP protocols installed. Also the windows network client and file and sharing system installed. I have tried setting up a IP manually in the TCP/IP, but it didnt work. I set a IP for default gateway and the DNS server, but im not sure what these are so maybe thats why. The Subnet mask popped up automatically so i assumed it was correct.

Ive tried changing alot of options and uninstalling and reeninstalling, and reading alot of tutorials with no success. Anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a router of some sort set up?  If you have a router, then make sure the DHCP server option is turned on.  It will make things much easier.  You will also want to make sure and turn on NAT(Network Address Translation) if for some reason it is off.

Try to release and renew the IP with ipconfig(Start->Run->cmd->ipconfig/release, then ipconfig/renew).

How was your network set up with just one computer?  And is/was that computer connected to the internet, or should it just have access to the other box?

You might also check the cables if you haven't used them before and especially if you made them yourself.

I presume your just using a normal hub and not a router?

Are your ethernet cables that connect both computers to the hub the same speed? Both 1/10 or 10/100?

Have you tried launching internet connection sharing or a shared folder? If the other computer can connect to the net via your computer or either computer can see atleast both shared folders it rules out a series of problems.

Have you booted up in sync each time? Shut down the "host", when thats off shut down the second computer. Boot the host back up when the second has finished shutting down, log into windows, boot up the second computer when this has completed and, providing its not a hub/network card/driver/cable problem it should be working.

wink_o.gif

I understand your problem. It does have everything to do with DHCP. Only, in this case, you do not need it. Hubs are a pain. I recommend a router/switch combination. It is much easier... BUT on to fixing your problem:

First, assign an IP address manually for each computer using the same subnet (the first three sets of numbers are the same - 192.168.1.xxx) Use different numbers for the last set:

example - 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11

For the subnet mask use 255.255.255.0

The gateway address is for accessing devices outside of your network (such as the Internet) -- more on this later. Leave blank for now.

The DNS addresses are IP addresses of name servers from your ISP. -- again more on this later. Leave blank for now.

At this point, try repairing your connection OR go to START --> RUN --> type in "CMD" and hit enter. You should get a DOS console. type in "ipconfig /release" and hit enter... after it is finished.. type in "ipconfig /renew"... If you still get an IP address that you did not specifiy... repeat this process. Sometimes it is fussy.

At this point you should have a nice internal network working. If not, please post what your IP address and other information is according to what Win XP says it is.

If you are not using broadband... skip the instructions below.

IF you have a broadband connection to the internet, you must either use a router OR another network card in one of the PCs.

If you must use another network card, you will set it up as "Assign Automatically" for everything and allow your cable/DSL modem to assign an external IP address.

If you are using a router. The gateway address on both PCs should be set to the router's INTERNAL IP address. The DNS addresses can be taken right off of your router's configuration (it receives them from your ISP).

EDIT: Also, remove the IPX protocol. Unless you are playing some really old games that do not use TCP/IP, you will NEVER need it.

Thanks for replying guys. I got file transfer set back up, but there are still a few more problems. I guess i messed with some option dealing with the Network adapter and got it changed back correctly.

My set up is 2 computers, both xp. Their linked together by a five port hub. I have dial up. But the computers are linked for gaming mainly.

The remaining problems are that the secondary computer doesnt read the internet connection when dialed. And the second is that I do want to play really old games (C&C TS) so i do want a ipx/SPX protocol. Thats the second problem, they did not read eachother in the game.

Make sure that the IPX/SPX Network is the same on computers.

If you leave the gateway blank on your network card's setup, it might fix your dial-up problem.