Sign in to follow this  
Shabadu

OFP2 system specs.... speculation

Hi all,

basically the thing is this...

I'm currently running my crappy old 1GHz celeron, 512MB RAM, GeForce Ti 4200 (64MB) graphics card....

recently got a small windfall of Å280 from my employers, for some vague 'holiday pay uplift' thing, probably just trying to keep us on the old contracts happy because they screwed us over so much recently.... but I digress

I'm considering a P4, 3GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM with relevent motherboad, upgrade....

but I'm at a loss as to whether I should wait until I can afford a PCIe graphics card, or stick with my trusty Ti4200 and go with the agp motherboad, since the Ti will be fine for everything I want it to do (including play CS:Source, I hope)

the *only* concern is whether or not I'll be able to pick up a decent AGP graphics card when OFP2 comes out, to be able to run it comfortably enough... or if I'll need to wait and get me some PCIe action.

Any suggestions, comments, insults are welcome  biggrin_o.gif

edit: I just re-read this and I'm not sure it's very clear lol So basically what I'm asking is: do you think I should get the upgrade, to be able to run OFP now, with the chance of getting an AGP graphics card later on that will run OFP2? Or should I wait until I can afford to get a system with PCIe?

OPF2 will use DX9c, so SM 2.0b or SM 3.0 will be used for sure, one thing u should consider is, when it comes out if u want to play it in all his glory u will need a good grafic card.

but again we dont have a clue when OPF2 will be relesed so if I where u I dont bother with that. wink_o.gif

OPF2 will use DX9c, so SM 2.0b or SM 3.0 will be used for sure, one thing u should consider is, when it comes out if u want to play it in all his glory u will need a good grafic card.

but again we dont have a clue when OPF2 will be relesed so if I where u I dont bother with that.  wink_o.gif

So you think I should just wait until OFP2 comes out?

Sorry, didn't quite understand what you meant smile_o.gif

What I mean was: U want to buy a new Grafics Unit now, buy one with some power and full DX9 compatible.

if u dont want to spend much money on it Ill sugest the nVIDIA 6600GT, AGP or PCI-E, if u dont bother to spend a "litle" more money, u have many cards from nVIDIA an ATI.

but again, we dont know when OPF2 comes out, so minimal specs r a hard gess.

I wouldn't worry about sys spec just yet.

OFP can kill the best equiped PC today. Just drop in some quality addons and put it on high.

One might assume OFP2 will be similar in that segment.

The original point was... I only have Å280 to go with... I can't afford a new graphics card and processor/RAM/motherboard...

I've already stated what I've currently got.

Dont upgrade now, the game is supposed to come in 2006 and that could be close to 2007 so new hardware will come and current HW prices will drop, if you really want a new system to play current games in decent quality you should go with pci-e so you can upgrade graphics in the future without replacing the mobo, i have doubts that the next gen video cards will be agp compatible so my advice would be to keep saving smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]I'm considering a P4, 3GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM with relevent motherboad

Don't consider, just buy.

OFP is more CPU & RAM oriented that VPU.

Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800pro 128mb is good and cheap, not top-notch, but OFP and other games run very well with it (I got it for 180 Euro and am very happy). That way you are able to play newer games without spending too much money.

Edit: ATM it costs around 150

Dont upgrade now, the game is supposed to come in 2006 and that could be close to 2007 so new hardware will come and current HW prices will drop, if you really want a new system to play current games in decent quality you should go with pci-e so you can upgrade graphics in the future without replacing the mobo, i have doubts that the next gen video cards will be agp compatible so my advice would be to keep saving  smile_o.gif .

You have a good point, but I'm trying to see what people think of what I'm looking at here smile_o.gif

I'm only interested in OFP2 as far as future compatibility is concerned... do you think an Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB DDR will be a sufficient base to put an AGP card on, later on?

It'd be enough for what I want it to do now, with my old card, I'm just considering if there will be any AGP cards that will cope with OFP2. Especially given that OFP2 isn't going to be an overly graphics-heavy game, as compared to games like Doom or Half-Life. As far as I'm aware.

forgot to add, that It is better to upgrade the PC's core elements first (CPU, RAM, MB). Only then you can think of up to date VPU's and other costly crap.

AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included. 079189 210 Å104.79

Abit AV8-3RD Eye Skt 939 K8t800pro 8xAGP ATX Gigabit LAN, SATA150 RAID, IEEE1394, 6ch Audio, Ä›Guru USB2.0 Retail Box 066708 130 Å68.07

Corsair (VS1GBKIT400C3) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, Unbuffered, CL3, Memory Modules With Lifetime Warranty 054472 295 Å59.01

Cart Total: Å231.87

What do you think of this little lot? Been looking at AMD vs. intel and as far as I can see, Athlon 64 FAR outstrips the P4 biggrin_o.gif

AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included. 079189 210 Å104.79

Abit AV8-3RD Eye Skt 939 K8t800pro 8xAGP ATX Gigabit LAN, SATA150 RAID, IEEE1394, 6ch Audio, Ä›Guru USB2.0 Retail Box 066708 130 Å68.07

Corsair (VS1GBKIT400C3) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, Unbuffered, CL3, Memory Modules With Lifetime Warranty 054472 295 Å59.01

Cart Total: Å231.87

What do you think of this little lot? Been looking at AMD vs. intel and as far as I can see, Athlon 64 FAR outstrips the P4 biggrin_o.gif

Well, yes. But only of you have a 64 bit apps that can use this.

On the other hand, AMD 64 will be changed several times before decent 64 bit OS and apps will appear.

I don't think WIN 64 is a good choice for now.

i think your ti4200 will feel bad surrounded by all that biggrin_o.gif .

lol it'll certainly feel inadequate biggrin_o.gif especially after lording it over my current specs.... that Celeron is choking on the GF's dust lol

Well some sites have run trough few test on games available now and top hardware on 32 and 64 every test recorded similar results with both 32 and 64 only problem is that games and programs are not yet exploiting 64bit technology and are based on 32bit and actually you might have compatibility issues with games and programs since in Windows 64 it has two Program Files

1. Regular Program Files - For 64bit apps

2. Program Files (x38) (Not sure about the number) - For 32bit apps

And I.E. you can't run Splinter Cell 3 - Chaos Theory on Win64

Wohoo! Radeon X800 XL with 512 MB has come, good bye Ti 4200!

OFP2 will be so awesome with this card biggrin_o.gif

Well some sites have run trough few test on games available now and top hardware on 32 and 64 every test recorded similar results with both 32 and 64 only problem is that games and programs are not yet exploiting 64bit technology and are based on 32bit and actually you might have compatibility issues with games and programs since in Windows 64 it has two Program Files

1. Regular Program Files - For 64bit apps

2. Program Files (x38) (Not sure about the number) - For 32bit apps

And I.E. you can't run Splinter Cell 3 - Chaos Theory on Win64

Yeah, but I'm not talking about running Win64 since it's not neccessary for running on an Athlon64.

Since 64bit PC's aren't entirely prolific yet, it'll take time for the extra scope to be fully utilised.

Until then, I'm (relatively) happy with regular winblows.

I beg to differ.. ive got 1.5gb ram, 3ghz proccessor.. 128mb graphics card. and on NORMAL graphics levels OFP runs slow

Just wanted to add something about 64-bit CPUs.

Microsoft's Longhorn is to be released next summer, that will say maybe before OFP2/"Game 2", and I hope that OFP2/"Game 2" will be compatible with this. I'm not sure if you have said anything about OFP2/"Game 2" been compatible with a 64-bit CPU, but I hope that it will be since it may happen (and will) that people after a while will start updating there OS'.

Here is a link to the article I saw:

LINK to article

Guest Ti0n3r

Are you sure you're going to buy that card? When OFP2 is out you might be able to get a card twice as good for the samer prize.

I dont mean to be rude or anything. Just think you should think twice. confused_o.gif

Are you sure you're going to buy that card? When OFP2 is out you might be able to get a card twice as good for the samer prize.

I dont mean to be rude or anything. Just think you should think twice.  confused_o.gif

lol, it's been a while since I desided not to buy it.

But I seriously need a card that can hold until OFP2 arrives,

I don't want to spend almost $500/€400 on a high-end card that is.. not new when OFP2 comes biggrin_o.gif

I have already started saving money for this. And thats hard evidence that I am a real OFP fan notworthy.gifinlove.gif

EDIT: I was thinking of buying a SLI card but since Nvidia is working with SLI2 and that SLI isn't compatible with every game, I desided I should wait and see what the market could offer me when OFP2 comes. An option is to have a Crossfire card but there is a limit of motherboards that has the ability to handle Crossfire now, so that also gave me an idea to wait a while.

Guest Ti0n3r

I think that the GeForce 6600GT could be a good card for those who want a new card but dont want to spend to much money on it. The prize i somwhere over 300€ I think. Im not sure...

But I got mine for 100€. nener.gif I guees the guy who owned the store was crazy. nener.gif

Edit: stupid me. 100€, not 10€ rofl.gif