Sign in to follow this  
marcusjm

Mount & Blade: PC RPG.

Just got a bit into Warband MP lately. Dear how hard is that? I'm always, and I mean always late in the hits delivered, every other person is faster than me when striking, whatever weapon I have and they have. Even bots! I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Good challenge ahead :)

Just got a bit into Warband MP lately. Dear how hard is that? I'm always, and I mean always late in the hits delivered, every other person is faster than me when striking, whatever weapon I have and they have. Even bots! I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Good challenge ahead :)

I'm a pretty good duelist and I'm wondering what ping your playing at?

All pings being equal, the only reason a person swing will beat yours is:

-Whipping the mouse. It really does add speed to your swing.

-Turning into your swing. Also accelerates speed to target.

-Angle of attack. Think of trying to punch the other guy in the face with your sword as fast as possible.

-Weapon speed: Blazing fast scimitars will beat an axe (if done properly)

-Footwork: not directly related too swing speed but extremely important for timing the ins and outs of your range.

Dueling is immense fun and new strategies appear almost on a daily basis. Mastering the block really trumps all other skills tho.

@privateNoob: Why cant you get mods to work? Just stick downloaded file into Modules folder and you should be good to go.

I trained on a duel server at around 50ms ping, no better result (apart from the fact I slowly, slowly begin to get into reading opponent attacking move and getting the correct block on the correct side :) )

The thing is, once I'm in "block mode", ie going in a block frenzy and stopping the opponent, I don't know how to "get out of it" and attack back, since I end up being too slow all the time. The only solution found so far was to try a chamber parry, which I sometimes end up doing with success, but failure is high too! :)

I don't know what you mean exactly by "whipping the mouse"

Apparently with Fire&Sword is not made by Taleworlds, it's made by another company using the Warband engine :

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,155620.msg3749516.html#msg3749516

Anyways, Warband is an exceptionally great game, replayable to the extreme.

Even without using mods or even without going multiplayer, i have been having several campaigns for months with multiple character.

It's just plain brillant.

Whipping mouse means literally zipping the mouse as fast as you can in attack direction. Some people also raise their mouse sensitivity both ingame and/or mouse control panel to further accelerate this. This used to be a huge exploit but a patch put a limit on this effect.

50 ping is very good (the best I'll ever have) -and I wont notice any real disadvantage until hitting 80+

As far as getting stuck in block mode - a couple of things:

If your weapon is much lighter than theirs you can be literally "stunned" for up to 2 attacks -meaning, your reaction swing won't match their next attack so you must block twice.

Are you being aggressive enough? Use feints and misdirection -cancel attack with block and chamber your next attack in different direction.

Your relying on chambered (parrying) will get you killed :) While pulling off a successful chamber (attacking in same direction as they are 1 millisecond later) is very satisfying -the risk is too high and I only use them against high level opponents that I cant beat normally.

If you are locked in a rythmic batttle ie block/attack/block attack -change your timing to throw them off with again feints and delayed swings. I often get beaten by people who purposefully delay their swing as I was expecting to block/attack and they get the kill in my confusion.

If your North America, I'd love to practice with ya :)

@Sanctuary: 100% agree - I play everyday either MP or Prophecy of Pendor mod (shameless plug) which features a whole new tactical AI. The replayability and fun factor is unrivaled imho. For MP lovers, you owe it to yourself to try the amazing Vikingr mod - pure awesomesauce.

Edited by froggyluv

Awww, wait, when doing a right to left attack, I only "raise the weapon", ie LMB + mouse right, and let the game do the actual attack.

You mean I should also go right to left with mouse to go with the actual swing? :O doh!

EDIT : and no, euro guy here unfortunately ;)

LOL yeah!

4 attacks: Left swing; Right swing; Overhead; Thrust

Left swing is probably the most popular so learn your right block masterly. Many people love to move their body to your right and inside (cutting the angle) while left attacking you to the face. A very quick and off putting attack.

Right swing is basic and self explanatory. Still the primary swing.

Overhead: Master it. Especially with a feint pump (up + LMB depressed but NOT release) then cancel with RMB then hit it again. The actual finger pressing mechanics are so engrained in me I dont know how to explain it properly -just practice :p

Thrust: Very popular opener for duelists as it has the longest range and some people dont downblock well. One good trick is to have the attack readied (dont release LMB!) turn away from opponent, then whip back releaseing the thrust. They were expecting a side swing 50% of the time.

Euro, too bad.

@privateNoob: Why cant you get mods to work? Just stick downloaded file into Modules folder and you should be good to go.

Yea but it was some problem with one of the bigger mods, think it was 1257 AD or Europe 1200, just crashed on me. Dunno if has something to do with Win 7.

Currently i'm playing a mod called Mount and Musket online, it's about the napoleonic wars and it is great fun!

It might also open up the learning curve a bit because of the availability of muskets, which are pretty easy to use (though highly inaccurate) and can get you a kill before you have to enter melee combat (i am fascinated by the concept of the bayonet).

During last update they even added drum and fifers to the game, as well as a completely new Russian faction, on top of the British, the French and the Prussians, all in historically accurate uniforms.

The main server holds 222 people and every monday there is a line battle event where people stay true to Napoleonic tactics and stick to formations and fire away at eachother in volleys.

Also, M&M gets rid of the 'pay for equipment' scheme, which i like. You just pick a side, pick a class and there you go. What i dislike in M&B MP is that good players can get better equipment, making them even better artificially, putting a weaker (newer) player at even more of a disadvantage.

Er... wasn't this already relased? Polish hussars, Sweden, gunpowder etc...

a38f8ec4c6b.jpg

Translation: With Fire and Sword. I actually have it. I is confused:j:

Edited by Salvatore_Lee

Pretty sure that was their release for M&B -this one is for the expansion Warband.

The whole suubject is confusing to be honest. Its a Taleworlds game but different developers... Add to that there is also a free mod by the same exact name.

So the trailer is basicly for a standalone retail release of a mod?

Weird, I was hoping taleworld was going for a high budget release with cutscenes etc.