Sign in to follow this  
Llauma

CiA co-op night

It´s like the hunt for the holy coop grail.

I´m still trying to set up a scenario where 2 player controlled teams do their duty and have their objectives apart from stupid defend this, attack that scenario. Somehow a three sided objective based map with ai and 2 player teams on controversial sides. It´s not easy to make this realistic and not too overplanned as the teams should meet either by accident or when approaching their different objectives.

As I said it´s not that easy to make such if you want to go for something else than static objectives and positions.

Though... I´m working on it.

If you create the mission too open it can happen that both teams never meet. If you direct the teams too much it looks unreal. Not that easy to find a right setup.

@Albert: good idea, but imo not to take to reality, as people have private life and don´t show up on every occasion. And scoring again. Not my deal. wink_o.gif

yer alberts idea is pretty good but would take sooooo much organization and i think would only really be possible to do with clans due to the random guys/random numbers of players situation of these coop nights as a clan could put a team together even if some of its players didn't turn up

Hi, its og again.

If you guys are interested in actually playing what some of you are talking about, quoting King Nothing; "We should start making missions where are 2 teams (or actually forces), the russians and the finnish. Both forces have their own goals", youre all welcome tomorrow (sunday 29th) at 20:00 CET at the zeus addon server. Here we will play an A/D mission called "Bridge Assault". Check-in will begin at 20:00 and play will commence at 20:30. The mod is FDF.

Now, last thing I want to do is to mess up your regular coop night, so Id prefer if either all or no-one of you showed up.

I know most of you are weary of the CTF and TDM games and believe that all PvP missions will eventually deterioate into a hexenkessel match. Trust me, I feel the same thing, but there is a sparkling light at the end of the tunnel;

"Bridge Assault" was designed with coop people in mind. Ive already mentioned its main features so I wont repeat myself, but Ill say this;

To avoid it turning into a tdm it has a casualty rate factor implemented. Meaning that one cannot storm an objective and expect to take it by just chucking people and AI at it. If your team exceeds a certain casualty rating, say above 70%, your side lose.

There is team respawn yes (you might respawn say 10 times), but you are expected to fear for your life and not rush objectives like a madman.

There are random starting positions for the attacking side so things wont become predictable. Playing time varies between 45 to 60 min.

There are like 65 players (AI and ppl combined) on the map so expect a lot of fierce firefights. Some of these fights can drag out (like in RL) and with the BN tracers implemented they can look fairly impressive at times.

Keep in mind we're coop players like you and we still mainly play coops, but we wanted something different, something more unpredictable, realistic and challenging. "Bridge Assault" is now the most popular coop mission on the zeus server, and to be honest; going back to playing regular coop afterwards was a bit of a chore.

Its not a perfect mission and by no means the "Holy Grail", the AI can still be a pain in the arse to control and certain "gamey" elements might pop up at times (blame the ofp engine), but its pretty damn close to what one would expect a realistic mission to look and play like. In addition it puts you in a competive spirit; two commanders play it out to see who has the better tactical strategy and approach. The main objective is static yes, but that doesnt mean all the fighting takes place right beside it, at times quite the contrary happens. Sometimes the attacking force gets spotted way before it is close to the objective. Its then up to the defender to decide if he wishes to hunt down the spotted enemy or sit and wait. He can also use his artillery mortars to make things harder for the attackers. Ive played most of the Bridge Assault missions and they play differently every time.

Players makes mistakes, there is fog of war, unforseen things might happen that jeopardize your whole plan, you have to improvize... how would you do it? Is your character up to it? Can you make yourself understood by your subordinates? These are all things you might see in a regular coop mission but IMO its felt so much stronger in a proper A/D mission like "Bridge Assault".

Of course, we would like to see more human players involved. The way it is now one can play it with 8 humans, 4 on each side, so we dont really need that many to play it properly, meaning its not a disaster if the whole clan doesnt show up.

Down the road it could be fun to test the mission as a friendly match between two clans, so if you show up tomorrow Im not sure how we'll execute it. Maybe we'll just mix up teams or maybe have CiA vs Zeus. What do ya say ladies and germs, are you up to something different? Maybe youll hate it and go back to playing regular coop, no biggie, maybe youll get wasted early on together with your whole squad and feel left out, who knows? At least keep an open mind and try something new. The vets at zeus have pondered over the pvp coop dilemma for some time now and there has been a lot of trial and error. We believe we're headed down the right path and have found something interesting for mainly the coop fans. If anyone feels they have anything they want to see added to the mission please say so, its still open to new features. We want to keep evolving this type of gameplay and will consider everyones input.

If you sow the seeds of inspiration something interesting might come up.

I was the one who suggested a mission like this on zeus. The idea had been there before but the inspiration wasnt really there. Jinef together with Terox and LWLoozer from zeus decided to experiment with a "coop pvp" and "Bridge Assault" was the result. We have well known people in the community like Walker and bn880 from the CoC mod playing with us on a regular basis and they seem to enjoy the mission concept as well.

All necessary information not mentioned in the briefing will be explained to you when/if you show up on zeus TS.

ADDON SERVER IP: 62.146.60.190:2500 (or just put "zeus" in filter)

TS address: zeus.gotf.net:2500

Addons required (put them in your fdf addons folder)

http://www.ofpec.com/addons/linkstats2.php?ID=381

http://s92713009.onlinehome.us/OFP/BN_tracers1_22.zip

http://www.ofp-zeus.com/download/zcom_aas_coc_ua_divers_mines_ns.zip

Hmm, this sounds very interesting. I'd say go for it, but unfortunately I probably won't have time tomorrow evening.

Sweet, I'll be joining you guys hopefully.

in the server, waiting

Doh, I was hoping for some CIA Coop sad_o.gif

They're probably just running late... I hope.

They are often late on a Sunday, just be patient and they will arrive.

(I hope!!)

well, i'm on the zeus server... got a couple ppl waiting there too... if more join maybe we could get a game up

There's only two of us in the TS server.

Someone wake me up when they start.

u guys are welcome to join Zeus for a game until CIA comes up I guess.... IP is on page before this one look at orlo's post.

Downloading the FFUR pack right now, will get going as soon as it finishes.

Can't we play a couple of bridge assault mission at Zeus?

We can play normal co-op at CiA later

We'll start with the CiA server as normally.. We might drop by the zeus server later if that's what people would want.

Edit: The CiA server is up

Pics taken during the night

25732_p423514.jpg

Our picnic. The picnic van is on the back ground. Jinef made great muffins biggrin_o.gif

25732_p423515.jpg

Someone needs a construction worker?

My apologies for the racket I made towards the end of the second mission.

Four of my friends barged in, one was a little drunk. We all ended up watching Scarface.

Had a great time though, very fun. Enjoyed driving the picnic van biggrin_o.gif

I had to skip today because my internet was going crazy...

I had a ping of 1352, I finally did get it fixed, but by then it was too late.

I'll try next Sunday though smile_o.gif

I made some screens.. gonna post them this evening. Last mission was very good for me. Was tired and wanted to quickly end my existance.. ran into enemy camp and ........ cleared all without even being hit once. Very funny! When you dont necessarily want to survive you WILL survive! . Only the final tanks near gas station finished me off.

Thanks to all for the games last night

2905coop1.jpg

Joint action

2905coop2.jpg

Albert sniping

2905coop3.jpg

Fire support is being set up while the second group is advancing

2905coop4.jpg

lol?

2905coop5.jpg

Regrouping

EDIT: 400 posts, yay