Sign in to follow this  
Desert-Rat

Targeting cam

Is it possible to make a targeting Cam for an chopper cockpit display? i mean if you not have select a target then you see only where youre flying (like through a window but in a display in the cockpit) and if you select an target (example an T80) that the T80 appears on the display then.

bad english i know crazy_o.gif

Is it possible to check what unit has been targeted?

RED

AFAIK no, but there can be a workaround. It would be no easy to

make it, though, since it would require the modification of the

model, and will work only with the gunner using the gun.

In O2 place 2 cargo proxies on the gun, approximately one on

the location of the 'usti hlavne' and one on the 'konec hlavne'.

The points' locations are not so important, but they must be tied

with the otochlavne selection, and point in the direction the

gun is pointing.

Then in Init EH populate these two cargo spots with gamelogics.

In game a script continuosly running will check along the direction

pointed by the two gamelogics for suitable targets: if something is

found and the gunner 'knowsAbout' this something, 'maybe' the

gunner is targeting it.

Clever idea sa8gecko! Nice out of the box thinking smile_o.gif Desert-Rat's idea is in theory possible, the target infomation could be displayed as images in the same way the maps are in some chopper addons.

RED

Really this is the MCAR idea, and Unnamed (UNN) developed it.

The 'search' for a target can be difficult, because if the target is

moving and the velocity of the ammo currently used is not very

high, the gunner will add deflection on it.

Then there's the question of checking what may be a very long

distance with nearestObject, which in turn cannot be used at

the maximum of its radius cause you still don't know what you're

looking for: a plane, a tank (what kind? there are tens) and so on.

So the search must be refined (you don't want to target a tree).

It's not an impossible task, as MCAR demonstrates, but it sure is

not easy.

On some kind of vehicles a Laser Designator could be used instead,

it would need only to be made non accessible for the gunner (adding

and removing it) and it should be 'fired' automatically by the

script using it. Some trigger set on the whole map could then

return the position the laser is aiming at, and in this position

one simple nearestObject call should return the target.

There should be some script about it at OFPEC, I remember having

seen one, but don't remember its name and author.

so a targeting cam isn't possible , what about a rocketcam or something like this? (all for a helicopter cockpit display)

In kegs spectating script there's the 'missile cam' that follows lobbed grenades, fired rockets/missiles or dropped bombs. Would there be some way to do something similar that can be toggled to when ur in the gunners seat? i.e You aquire a T80 as a target then that T80 object becomes the equivalent of the "missile" in kegs' script. You could then use a key to switch to the "missile view" and get a look at ur target. You could apply a set of sights over the view to make it look like a camera view. Is the campos was fixed to the chopper ur in and centered on the target, that'd look like a target cam right?

That doable?

im not expert but for instance why cant you like make the apache cannon rotate all the way??? and check the stuff thrue the gunner view?

hmmz slightly different, I take it this is very possible?

You aquire a T80 as a target then that T80 object becomes the equivalent of the "missile" in kegs' script. You could then use a key to switch to the "missile view" and get a look at ur target

Wouldn't be possible, since you can't check what is targeted with locked missiles. You can only check where the turret is pointing as sa8gecko explained, but else there's not much possible.

I mean the missle or targeting cam for a display IN the cockpit of a chopper

I mean the missle or targeting cam for a display IN the cockpit of a chopper

That's a definite no.

OK how about this for outside the box thinking:

How about using the switchcamera command (Tutuorial Here) to use a hidden camera man as your targetting cam?

As i understand it in that tutorial, you can use switchcamera to look through the eyes of anyone in the vehicle, so could you have a AI bloke hidden in the hull of the chopper somewhere who has a dotarget command applied to him when you target the T80. Maybe force him to use binos too so you get the zoom effect biggrin_o.gif, then when he's looking at the target you can use the switchcamera thing to look through his eyes and use him as a targetting cam...

Wild idea i know, i know bugger-all about scripting but i thought this might get some greater minds than mine thinking along some different lines biggrin_o.gif

What you want to do Yssabem is possible with a normal camera that's kept in the right position via script. But what he actually wants is a view _in_ the view, means a display with the target displayed _inside_ the cockpit view, without having to change to some sort of camera first. And that is definitely not possible.

you could make the gunner OPTIC view, look like a close up of a MFD and then display it....

you would have to press a button and I know that isnt what you want but well if its not possible then something that comes close maybee?

smile_o.gif

manhunter09: how did it work? already done something like this? smile_o.gif

ok a targeting cam it not possible , what about a sight where you only see where youre flying in the MFD? like through a window or a cam? and then these map display thats already done , but how? what i have to write in the script? and how to intrigue it into my model? crazy_o.gif

How can i integrate a script to an addon , i have found a bullet cam and want to make it work for missiles so it is shown in the MFD of the Helicopter rock.gif

the only thing i have done ,that is remotely like this ,is as follows

1 use bullet camscript.and fire a tow missile from a heli or a man who is high on a hill.

2 film it with fraps

3. using a gif animator turn your movie into a gif.(keep it small as poss)

4. split your gif anim into 20 jpegs ( select the best 20 )

5 .define each pic as rsc in your mission descript.ext

now the hard part lol

at the point of firing (add event handler )

you must display the pictures at the right place and size in your heli cockpit .

totally for single player in my case and a laugh.

but maybe if redefined and incororated int an addon, it can become a little better .

make a movie for diff vehicles.

remeber that for me i use this stuff for making ofp vids.i dont expect it will be perfect for ingame , but simulation can be ok ,especially if there is no other way.

p.s i beleive create dialogues is even better for animations, havent got there yet.

For that, setobjecttexture would be a better idea, no?

I had the same idea (in heli screen thingy) here, but I dont think it's possible.

Basicly, the idea was to use something simliar to how DXDLL got it's relfections (Things you dont directly see, but are nearby, being rendered), but instead of laying them over the screen, with the DirectX hook, save it to a file, and setobjecttexture it to the screen.

Thats a nice idea, if you edit the images up a bit, so they're distoted (I assume the picture isn't perfect, from little clips of gunships, it looks like an dark, inverted image, heat-based thing), could look okay, as long as the view isn't to wide (I.e you only see the tank, or a person etc)

If it wasn't edited, but real colour, you could make an alpha-channeled image, and display that on a surface just infront of another, which is animated, it is a circle, which when the heli is over water, is rotated to 0*, which contains a water texture, when over snow, a snow texture in the middle of the circle thing, the cylinder is rotated to 180*, etc

Not exactly neat, but it's start

- Ben

good idea m8 , i gonna try it on a flag first lol, dont laugh easiest way to test i know.as for the pic quality ,there v good actually. the trick is the length of time between shots. etc.

if anyone knows how or if its possible withought modding the addon, to setobjecttexture of the heli vid display ,could ya post it pls. ty

ps copy the link and paste it to your media player, file ,play,url

tired it on a tv works very weel. not a tank or missile, but my gif animator trial ranout so grabbed a gif file from an avatar smile_o.gif

http://www.angelfire.com/anime6/deanosbeano/Movie.wmv

Nah, unless any heli has a screen setup for setobjecttexture, you have to modify one sad_o.gif

Flag, good idea for testing biggrin_o.gif

Might have a go with Viusal Basic with an idea I had, which I didn't get around to because I couldn't setup setobjecttexture sad_o.gif But now.. smile_o.gif

- Ben

Edit : The video, that stuff is done with setobjecttexture or CutRsc thingy? I.e if you moved the camera around, does the GIF stay with the screen? Going to have a go at this stuff tomorrow smile_o.gif

well the one you see is cutscene, but i disabled the move for length of film so cam cant move.but i have now done in heli and its perfect. night vision filter is automatically aplied over the animation smile_o.gif ,so it fits perfect with the vdu in the oh58.

update now tried on flag with setflagtexture and its fantastic quality smile_o.gif.

next stage is to open a addon and learn about setobject texture and see if its possible to apply a script inside ,maybe i have some help from anyone who knows about addon making here ?

well new update ,its now working on bas_uh60 ,in mapscreen, antastic quality and always same place ,even when flying .

video on its way in some hours. after i find out how to addevent handler fired in an addon script sad_o.gif