Sign in to follow this  
SpecOp9

Internet 2.0

I think that by the time this comes out, the way that computers work will even change. I know that there is research being done on quantum computers, and recently a scientest has found a way to "freeze" light, and she is exploring the application of it in regards to data storage. It's crazy how different computers will be in the next 15 - 20 years.

The reason we have IPv6 is because the internet is running out of IP addresses. Eventually, it will be for public use (IMHO). You can't just put everyone behind a NAT and expect the problem to go away.

Reggy

I heard about this about a year ago but it was still in development. Firstly, 10GB/sec wouldn't be worth it as most hard-drives can only store data at 500MB/sec and to a maximum of 3GB/sec with a RAID configuration. Secondly hardly any server of the planet would be able to give you 10GB/sec upstream to allow you to receive it downstream.

This co-insides with the release of ADSL2, which can offer speeds of around 20MB/sec through conventional phonelines. However in Britain we won't be able to receive more than 4MB/sec until our copper lines are upgraded to optical sad_o.gif

I heard about this about a year ago but it was still in development. Firstly, 10GB/sec wouldn't be worth it as most hard-drives can only store data at 500MB/sec and to a maximum of 3GB/sec with a RAID configuration. Secondly hardly any server of the planet would be able to give you 10GB/sec upstream to allow you to receive it downstream.

Assuming of course that all hardware data rates stay the same for the next ten years..... which I doubt will happen.

Assuming of course that all hardware data rates stay the same for the next ten years..... which I doubt will happen.

It is still extremely hard to imagine 10 GB/s being used by a home user for something useful... especially at this stage. Maybe in the future... but I can just see this being abused.

holy crap...that means it would take 4 seconds to completely fill my hardrive! crazy_o.gif