Sign in to follow this  
General Barron

AI indirect fire script!!!

Greetings all. Here is a script that is very cool, if I do say so myself. This script allows AI infantry to shoot ANY indirect fire weapon and hit a specific location on the ground. It works best with slow-moving weapons like launched grenades, 'mortars' (rifle grenades), etc; although technically it could work with rockets and even bullets. There is just one small catch: you have to do a little bit of work to let the script work with each weapon. However, I've made that process as painless as possible (instructions are included).

Basically, it is like CoC's UA, only for infantry, if you know what UA is. You can adjust the accuracy (impact radius) of the shot--the script can put the round within a couple of meters of the target every time, if you wish.

The base script (inf_IF_launch.sqs) only does the above. It is up to other scripts to determine where/when/who to launch the grenades, so the script is very flexible for other scripters/editors to use. For example, I have written a script that allows the player to order his squad's grenadiers to fire by clicking on the map, which is included in the demo. This script could also easily be used like an artillery barrage script, by having a group of AI target a pre-determined position via a trigger (example also included in demo). Or this could be used by an AI script (not included), and so on and so forth.

Included in the download is a demomission, the tool to acquire data for other weapons, and instructions for that tool. The demomission gives you a few targets which you can order your squad to shoot. It also has an AI squad behind a hill, which you can order to bombard a pre-determined location by using the radio. Instructions on how to use the script is at the top of the script.

This script is not quite finished yet, because it currently doesn't take elevation into account.

This script was made possible by Soultaker's Indirect fire with all kind of vehicles tutorial (although the process was slightly modified; ask me if you want an explaination).

The script requires Lester's Invisible Targets addon (which everyone should have anyway, since it is so darn useful).

DOWNLOAD THE SCRIPT & DEMO HERE

Here is a screenshot of the tool to acquire data for the script (for those of you visiting from the addon boards :P ):

firingDialog.JPG

General Barron, you're the James Brown of scripting: the Hardest Working Man in Show Business!!! biggrin_o.gif

(Perhaps you could be persuaded to tackle the towing problem, that of towed objects falling through bridges... rock.gif )

Whats it for? rock.gif

Looks good. Downloading now.

Whats it for?  rock.gif

Say you have a guy with a grenade launcher in your squad. Say you want him to shoot his grenade into an enemy base off in the distance. Normally, you can't really do that, unless there is an enemy that you can tell him to attack. Even if you tell him to attack an enemy, there is no promise that he will use his grenade launcher, instead of, say, charging the enemy with his rifle.

This script lets you select your grenadier, then click on the map, and the guy will shoot his grenades where you clicked. It is almost like calling arty support from your own squad, in a sense.

The script can also be used for much more than simply that. More experienced editors could use it so that an AI squad barrages an enemy position with grenades when you use the radio. Scripters could use it in an AI script, and make the AI use their grenadiers with maximum effectiveness. Addonmakers could include this script (and the invisible targets) in their addon, and could make their addon automatically use it in a script.

The screenshot is only a picture of the tool used to acquire data for the script. The tool is only needed if you want to use this script with 3rd party addons.

Try the demo mission, and you will see exactly what the script does. smile_o.gif

Will this be a part of the new ECP?

--Ben

Not yet. I still need to finish up the script (to make it adjust for elevation). After that, I'll work it into the ECP.

That's great.

--Ben

PS: I thought soldiers, using the Fire command, fired their weapon straight into the air making low velocity projectiles extend to their fullest range (i.e. grenade launchers @ aprox. 320 meters).

PS: I thought soldiers, using the Fire command, fired their weapon straight into the air making low velocity projectiles extend to their fullest range (i.e.  grenade launchers @ aprox. 320 meters).

Well, the 'fire' command does make the AI shoot up into the air. I've never measured just how high they shoot, but it always looked to me like they aim as straight up as they can. Shooting a grenade launcher, or any other weapon, in this manner would not result in the maximum range, I would think (firing angle > 45 deg).

This script does not use that command, however, because of those problems of not being able to control it. The script uses the 'dofire' command, which makes the unit shoot at a specific object/unit. It then uses Lester's invisible target for the unit to shoot at. In this way, I can designate exactly where I want the units to point their muzzles.

Would anybody who still has this script available post it here, please? It is not available at ofpec.com and I can't find it anywhere else.