Sign in to follow this  
General Barron

Aircraft holding pattern script

Hello all,

I don't know if you have ever used fixed-wing aircraft in your missions. But if you have, you may have noticed that there is no way to make the plane "stay at" a specific location. Instead, once the plane completes its waypoint/domove/player order, it will just keep flying straight forever.

What this script does is it makes an aircraft fly in a stable, circular holding pattern.

This can make it surprisingly easy for the player to command fixed-wing aircraft, without being in one himself. Normally this requires an endless number of "fall back into formation" orders or similar, but this script lets the player put them into holding, until airsupport is required.

One quick note is that if you turn up the time accel, the aircraft will most likely break its holding pattern. In normal time accel, the aircraft also has a slight chance of breaking its pattern eventually.

Try out the demo mission and let me know what you think.

Download link

Great!

One question though since I'm not sure ATM, how do planes act at the Search&Destroy? I've the slight memory that they keep flying around the waypoint if it's of this type?!

Great!

One question though since I'm not sure ATM, how do planes act at the Search&Destroy? I've the slight memory that they keep flying around the waypoint if it's of this type?!

Hmm.... that sounds likely, although you would prolly need to put a cycle waypoint in there as well. So that might be another way to keep a plane in some sort of a holding pattern (although not a circular one like this). However, this solution requires no waypoints, so it may be preferrable in many cases. And it makes a nice, neat circle (like an AC130), as I mentioned. And it works with the player's squad.

Hello all,

I don't know if you have ever used fixed-wing aircraft in your missions. But if you have, you may have noticed that there is no way to make the plane "stay at" a specific location. Instead, once the plane completes its waypoint/domove/player order, it will just keep flying straight forever.

What this script does is it makes an aircraft fly in a stable, circular holding pattern.

This can make it surprisingly easy for the player to command fixed-wing aircraft, without being in one himself. Normally this requires an endless number of "fall back into formation" orders or similar, but this script lets the player put them into holding, until airsupport is required.

One quick note is that if you turn up the time accel, the aircraft will most likely break its holding pattern. In normal time accel, the aircraft also has a slight chance of breaking its pattern eventually.

Try out the demo mission and let me know what you think.

Download link

AW i would SSOOO love this download but the link is dead :(

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

sorry i just realized this is for OPF not arma :(

any way you could get hold of the script so i can use it in arma ?