Sign in to follow this  
crashdome

OFP Course?

I came across this site searching for some tools:

http://www.cs.adfa.edu.au/courses/ACSC2019/coursework/

Click on the "Course Outline" and read...

Quote[/b] ]VBS & Operating Flashpoint

At least 1 assignment in the course will use the military game/simulator VBS, which is found in the labs used for MVE.

Those students taking the course in distance mode should contact Spike – the course authority (click on link on course page) – and a copy of Operation Flashpoint (the commercial sibling of VBS) will be made available for use on the student’s machine till end of course.

Or is this old news?

Is that a school syllabus? I didnt visit the webby but the website .edu.au suggests its an australian school website probably?

Hmm i wouldnt mind going to such a school/uni.Free VBS1 and OFP , wheres the dotted line biggrin_o.gif

I think is the Australian Defence Force Accadamy site wink_o.gif

unless you want to be in the Aussie denfence force as a officer smile_o.gif

do i get it right that adf officers are given the opportunity to learn ofp mission making during their education  rock.gif  let´s all enlist biggrin_o.gif

btw: they also got some example missions..

Quote[/b] ]a 3D gravity system inside VBS. Objects exert gravitation forces on one another in 3D - a whirling storm of objects is the result. Illustrates a number of scripting points as well as the versatility of the engine.

gotta check out if they just stole ofp´s tornado tounge_o.gif

maybe its training people to make training mission a the ADFA smile_o.gif I wouldnt know becuase I'm not planing on going there. 2RAR infantry for me wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Well, I have found mission making tutorials using Foxhounds [XDF] AusCam units, and yes it ADFA (australian defence force academy)

A school for Australian Defence Force (ADF). CS meaning Computer Science. wink_o.gif

Hmmm... I didn't look to what school it was. That is pretty interesting!

I've always been an advocate of using tools (such as computer simulations) to help practice what is learned. My instructor for a "Geography: Cities of the World" class keeps asking why us students do not do well on tests yet, we all do well in discussions and paper topics. I was quick to point out that I, myself, do well when we have good practice and first hand experience at seeing the concepts applied. For example, the term "gentrification" is used extensively in this class - for obvious reasons - but I know that it is a term I hear very little in any of my other non-geography courses. Therefore, terms and concepts to me must be used on a regular basis or in practice (such as seeing a simulation and interacting with it) for me to engrain the ideas into my memory. I understand everything within that class very well. I can discuss topics that we learn at that moment, but referencing said topics in a later discussion is always difficult because I need to re-address my notes all the time.

Long and short of it, the idea of using things like simulators and computer programs to help in learning has always been something I wish was more widely accepted and used. I know that I learned alot about paper and the characteristics of, how to make, etc.. from my previous job. I know more than I care to know! The fact that I dealt with it, even to a minimal degree, on a daily basis helps engrain that knowledge.

I know alot of military software engineers are turning to "of-the-shelf" software - even games - to help in training. I think that universities should take quick note of that and apply the idea not only to things like engineering, mathmatics, and lab work, but also things like basic studies in areas such as Political Science, Sociology, and such which are not usually thought of as needing "simulation" type study.

It would nice to be the instructor of the class... imagine what you do all day. smile_o.gif

It would nice to be the instructor of the class... imagine what you do all day.  smile_o.gif

Imagine scolding people for not playing properly biggrin_o.gif .

It would be something like this:

Placebo get back in formation , homefry reload your gun damnit its nearly empty if you two mess up next time again , i'll have you TK'ed the first thing next round and make you sit the whole round without even spectating tounge_o.gif .

They might as well play a coop with jinef or KS leading them on the zeus server.

Wow, interesting. I wonder if snYpir is teaching that course as well rock.gif. I see that he gave a lecture on OpenGL, so it wouldn't surprise me if he has something to do with the OFP portion of the class too...

That's it. I'm quitting school to go open up my own OFP university. biggrin_o.gif

*cough*cough*... follow that link back up to the top to get a redirect to the ITEE site... which links to some forums... in which this is posted... wow_o.gifcrazy_o.gifrock.giftounge_o.gif

Bahahaha..

Sounds like one of my Poli Sci classes! tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif