Sign in to follow this  
LtUlrich

A message to Catholic/Italian members

Theres already a thread about it here , how could you have missed it?

Then why bother starting a new one , which is pretty much discussing the same thing ?

Just wanted it to be a special note to anyone who can read it. I wouldn't guess that many Italians or Catholics are discussing the Pope's death on BI forums so I just wanted it to stick out. Sorry if the extra thread somehow affected you.

This day died Karol Wojtyła known as John Paul II. The son of chivalrous nation. Chivalrous in stature and actions. Maybe it isn't perfect english, but the most important words of this man I can't translate. He set free our country and all world from comunism, and for this all his countrymen will be thankfull for ever.

Did you know that:

In the autumn of 1989, the Hungarian government had delayed renewing it's agreement with the East German government to prevent East Germans from exiting into the West through Hungary.  Some East German couple realised this and tried to cross from Hungary into Austria.  A few hours later they succeeded and, when the news spread, hundreds began crossing.

The East German government protested and the Hungarians sealed the border again, but not before hundreds of thousands of East Germans had begun driving down to Hungary.  Refugee camps had to be set up because many feared they would be persecuted on returning to East Germany.  The crisis continued for several weeks until the Hungarian government finally decided to open the border again, freeing all the East Germans.

The East German government had lost.  And now the East German people started asking why they had to drive all the way down to Hungary and through Austria to get to West Germany.  The resultant protests opened up the Berlin Wall and that is when the Iron Curtain and East Block Soviet rule really fell.

I don't deny the role of the Pope along the way since his appointment way back in 1978.  However, the world will probably never even know the names of the brave East German couple who exploited a loophole and crossed into Austria in 1989.  What did the Pope ever do to bring down the Iron Curtain that can compare with what they started?

rock.gif

Just wanted it to be a special note to anyone who can read it.  I wouldn't guess that many Italians or Catholics are discussing the Pope's death on BI forums so I just wanted it to stick out.  Sorry if the extra thread somehow affected you.

If your looking for specific ethnic/national/religious groups then you better seek another forum i think. I am sure there are italians here and they will follow the one thread we have rather then opening another to so that 'italians' only can discuss it rock.gif .

What did the Pope ever do to bring down the Iron Curtain that can compare with what they started?

If you weren't such a ignorant about last few decades of Eastern Europe history you wouldn't have asked such a dumb question.

Read this and don't make a fool of yourself.

<sheesh>

It's not for Italians only, as you can see.

I'm not even religious!

And damn, what's it to you anyway?

Nothing just pointing out a common thing on the forums here , mods standardize most topics in to one. i dont see 3-4 threads about the same topic here when both discuss the same thing.

Okay, well, point taken. In the future I will consider lumping what I have to say with everything everyone else has had to say three or four pages back into a thread that I haven't even taken the time to read.