Sign in to follow this  
mrbean1112

Any good music programs?

hey, i wanted to start making music for operation flashpoint, (Computer generated) but i cant find any good programs. i need one with stuff that would be good to make songs like band of brothers, saving private ryan, stuff like that. any recomendations, btw, the program has to be free or have a free trial. thx. tounge_o.gif

Do u think u could give me a link, i tried to search, but i got some jesus loves you he is the magic music maker........ hopefully it is free. rock.gif

Pro-tools has a free tracker with 8 audio tracks and 48 midi tracks for free on their website here :

Protools for free

Personnaly speaking,THE tool for writing classical battle style music and such is Sibelius.The kontack player for the program has killer sounds.

If you can find some decent soundfonts or samples,you can use FL studio Demo as a host too.The demo works full but you can't save.You can still do everything you need to do.You'll have to test it,I have'nt done that in a long time hehe.

Reason Demo has the same principal.If you can find some good rex files or other samples that are supported,the program works for 20minutes and shuts down so you still have time to tweak your sounds and record what you need if you're a road runner wink_o.gif

The best and cheapest and fastest thing you can do is write all your parts in midi and open them in a trial program that has the sounds you are looking for and record what you hear in the protools program if your cpu specs can handle it.that's only if the 30day trial ins'nt full.

Like everything else,the best results you'll get are from trial and error,that's the only way to learn if you're not willing to cough up some dough hehe

So what's your background in music? It takes years and years of hard work and lots of luck and talent to make something like Band of Brothers.

Start with something simple. Even that it hard enough.

Ycan get a trial version of Adobe Audition. I have the full version, which works well for a lot of things. It has a large selection of pre-recorded sounds that you can use to mix into your own songs, kind of like a synthesizer can. Everything from drums to flutes to electric guitar and even Chinese Drums. It allows up to 128 tracks to be mixed at the same time, and has many other uses.

Adobe Audition 1.5 Full-version, 30-day trial use

I've got Cubuse SE, Reason 3.0 and Guitarport ( and a guitar off course).

Add a mic and a midicontroller and your set to make any music you like.

Maybe you could buy the magazine "Computer Music". There is a CDr included with free programs on it. Tips on making music and what you need to make music, can be found at this site: http://www.computermusic.co.uk/main.asp

Hope this helps.

Quote[/b] ]So what's your background in music? It takes years and years of hard work and lots of luck and talent to make something like Band of Brothers.

Llauma brings up a good point.

Having the best samples in the world can't really help you if your songs dont seem good in simple midi state.

Try using this first.( it's full and free )

Anvil Studio

If you can make some good songs out of this then you're on the right path and because it's midi, you'll be able to import your files so your songs will always be usable.

The link to Flashpoint is quite tenuous so I think this belongs in OT smile_o.gif

You can create pretty nice stuff with trackers, for example, Modplug. Modplug is free software. I use tracker to create the backing track (bass+drums) and then record the guitar parts with a multi-track recording software, Audacity. Audacity is free (open-source) and works on Linux (WIN32 version also), so it's kind of natural choice for me. When I had Windows, I used the Adobe Audition (although it was called 'Cool Edit Pro 2' then :))

Trackers may seem like ancient techonology, like 486 processors and such, but one can make pretty impressive stuff with them. For example my friend does really good sounding little songs with them. Of course it's lot of work to program every drumhit and bass slap. Here are two little riff-collections recorded by me: Clip #1, Clip #2 (can you name the influence here :D )

When you seriously want to get into music-creating you need a midi keyboard. With keyboard alone you will be toast. Basics in piano-playing don´t hurt also.

Fruity loops is a good start, music maker is too simple for advanced composing. It basically only allows you to make a song of predefined samples. Not very good imo.

Yeah I agree about fruity loops.  I have home studio myself but I don't do a lot of midi stuff.  I generally use Cool Edit Pro (Multitrack audio recording program) and real instruments  miced up and going into a Mackie 1202VLZ mixer which then runs into a M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard.  I do however use synths (Ensoniq SQ-80 workstation and Korg X-5DR sound module).   I play almost any stringed instrument (except bowed instruments), drums, sing, play keyboards, ect.. and yet while I do write lots of my own music, I know that I don't even have remotely the talent to make music like the Band of Brothers soundtrack.  That requires serious dedication to that genre of music and SERIOUS composing skills and talent.  Orchestral type pieces are amongst some of the most challenging types of music to compose in my opinion.  I tried it a few times and failed miserably.

So like others said...start off simple like with some techno stuff with sample loops and things like that (the Acid series of programs are good for that as is Fruity Loops).

At any rate, if anyone wants to hear my OFP mission (requires no addons) has an example of a intro song that I made for an OFP mission in my home studio.  It can be downloaded here:

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/HeavyAirAssaultFinal.zip

Recently I also just recorded a Middle Eastern style song where I recorded my Turkish Baglama Saz, my Indian Naal drum, and a little plastic flute using a pair of Marshall MXL-603S small diaphragm condenser mics going into my Mackie 1202VLZ mixer and into a Guillemot ISIS sound card.  Its my first recording with the Saz and I suck at playing drums by myself (I should have used a click track) but the results are this song which I will put into one of my upcoming missions:

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/Mo_Saz.mp3

Also just for the hell of it while I was at it I recorded this short little song (electric guitar through Line6 POD into Mackie1202VLZ into soundcard. Vocals- recorded through CAD 22A dynamic mic.  Its at:

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/MilesTeg_Melencholy.mp3

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

All you need is

a squencer(free on the internet, see all the links above)

some good samples ( free on the internet)

and a good mouse (cause you'll be doing a lot of clicking if you don't have a midi keyboard)

******************************************BUY it!!!

I can recommend Reason. You can allmost do everything with Reason (you can't record sounds).

I've got an old site (not been updated for about 3 years) with some music on it, all done with Reason 1.0:

http//users.telenet.be/the_moose

Quote[/b] ]Or just download a cracked version of a program and if you like it BUY it.
Quote[/b] ]

§2)No discussion about illegally obtained software

All discussions about warez, piracy or leaked software are strictly forbidden, such threads will be closed and will most likely result in a permanent ban for the instigator.

Don´t let this thread get locked because of such.