Sign in to follow this  
Fab.

WWIIEC : Caen 1944

Does it have an impact on accuracy? I.e. is it harder to hit something? I'm asking because in OFP (in Arma to) static weapons have no recoil at all which makes them very deadly weapons.

Anyway it's good to know that your mod is not dead. Cheers.

i'm afraid the recoil in this case is purely for display. But we'll try to compensate with more dispersion...

And indeed, we're not dead. we're a bit like cockroaches hehe biggrin_o.gif

The point of hooking a machinegun to a sustained fire mounting, in particular one equipped with a lock and a traverse and elevation (T&E) mechanism is to reduce the effects of recoil on the dispersion of shot. But, Lecholas, I understand your point: The MG-42 especially should smother a target in a "cloud of 7.92mm" out to about 1000m, going from historical references.

Beyond that the weapon would be less effective by far. The Germans did not demonstrate the kind of aptitude that the Commonwealth did with the employment of machineguns in the sustained fire role: Vickers guns were still used in WWII as part of barrage plans, for example.

Finelly finished the almost finished the brittish tanks the only one left is the churchill.

I dont know if they make it for the first release.

To large pics for a direct link so please click on links.

The british soldiers and weapons are Fab:s very nice work.

http://www.3dmodell.se/Bild/britt.jpg

http://www.3dmodell.se/Bild/britt1.jpg

http://www.3dmodell.se/Bild/britt2.jpg

http://www.3dmodell.se/Bild/britt3.jpg

http://www.3dmodell.se/Bild/britt4.jpg

They look beautiful. Do you plan to use any custom damage system for tanks (like the one Liberation mod has)?

about anims - i heard you used your own anim pack and i see guns do not fit to souldier's backs. will it be fixed ?

From what I can tell those are original OFP's animations, am I right?

@lecholas: you're right, these arent wwIIec anims but look like BIS originals.

@T_roc: nice work mate

the tanks/halftracks n bren carrier look awesome.

is there any chance of singling out some of the units n getting a good lok at those guys.

is there a release imernent or demo??

Dang! It's been a while for me on the WW2 scene in OFP, but these units and vehicles look so tasty! Me thinks i'll be heading to the front again soon enough! Nice work chaps! thumbs-up.gif

Things is kindoff slow right now, mostley everyone is busy with their lives.

As for my stuff for this is mostley finished but its up to Fab to get it coded.

well, this may not seem like much to the untrained eye, but getting proper tracers to work properly is actually quite a lot of work.

I've been doing a lot of work on our script structure lately, and i wanted to implement tracers that took the following into account:

- tracers should only appear for every x bullets fired (as opposed to every bullet fired on vanilla OFP), and only for the machineguns (i picked 1 out of 7 bullets for mg34/42 and 1 out of 4 bullets for the bren, i didnt take much time researching it so perhaps someone could correct me if this is not very historically accurate ?)

- tracers should appear as a faded line rather than the commonly seen round blob.

that second point was what made it difficult as its supringly hard to make a straight line tracer if you're not using OFP's original tracers... it's quite easy if you drop a round particule like a lot of mods did in the past, but if you want it as a line, you basically have to create a new object that looks like a tracer (if you create a "bullet" that has regular tracer, and add velocity to it, the tracer appears all messed up - go figure), and give it the right angle (i'm talking about elevation) using a combination of model animation and using several models at different angles in case the animation doesnt work properly (this happens sometimes if you're too far from the tracer, or if you save/reload the game, the anim is reset to 0, and so the tracer is not aligned with the direction its moving to). Took me a good part of the day but i finally got it working proper.

I was also wondering if someone knew what colours (well, roughly, since colours vary with atmospheric conditions and whatnots) were used by the different sides during the conflict (my understanding is, different countries used different colours for their tracers ?)

Right now i only use this one:

tracer.jpg

i guess a video would have been better but i simply have no time for that.

I'll do some research for you mate. If I recall correctly the Wehrmacht used a lot of green/yellow -ish tracers while the Luftwaffe used a combination of red and blue at times.

As to the BRENs, I'm not sure if any .303 tracer rounds were issued. I'm sure the Vickers guns had some, but the BRENs only used rifle ball that I've heard about. Again, I'll do some checking for you.

It's been some time since i posted news... I guess i've been too busy with RL, so OFP time has been scarce. but here is a bulldozer screenshot of the MG34 that i've been working on lately. All lods done, all mapping done, just need to finish off the textures (got to add some more details here and there and add some shine to it)

Ingame version will feature bipod folded (or unfolded), drum magazine and tripod version (just like the MG42).

mg34.jpg

Beautiful, detailed model! The quality of the weapons alone is outstanding!

Looking good Fab.

Sorry: I was unable to locate any good sources regarding tracer usage and LMG/MMG use for the Commonwealth.

@AKM : no worries man, thanks for spending the time to look for it anyways :)

Here are some screenshot of the finished MG34, all lods done etc... Sorry couldn't be bothered to make ingame screenshots.

Next will be finishing up the mg42...

mg34b.jpg

mg34c.jpg

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Fab

The finish to the MG34 looks incredible, very nicely done, and it isn't the same material we see from time to time. Be careful with the details on the Lafette mounted version, though the tripod was basically the same the mount was different if I remember correctly.

you're correct, i'm missing one bit on the mount...

Will try to add it later, after i finish off the mg42

thanks,

Fab