Sign in to follow this  
Fab.

WWIIEC : Caen 1944

BTW : So, I heard that you are planning new animation system right ? It will be something like current Liberation MOD ? For example badly injured soldier will play "Injured" animation etc. ?

Thats not quite the same thing, something like that would be scripted on hit event handler (soldier hit -> soldier injured -> play anim). whereas what i'm doing now is only code.

For example:

- Random running anims, random moves for Rifle Safe Stand, random moves for Rifle AI relaxed : that's all part of cfgmoves.cpp, no script needed (this is what i'm working on atm)

- bolt action anim when firing bolt action rifle : that's an anim played by a script (attached to fired eventhandler). same story for that injured anim you were talking about.

We got a whole bunch of ideas of our own regarding scripts playing animations, but i'd rather keep quiet about this untill its been tested ingame and proved to be a gameplay improvement. The only one that we can confirm at 100% to be there in the mod is bolt action anim that we presented a while ago (see this news)

Reason for this is, I dont want to be doing some false advertising about stuff we want to include if it turns out they dont work too well or work but are seriously annoying to play with ingame...

I like the idea that injured soldiers shouldnt run around and be incapacited for good, but we want to test this first and see how it goes with our gameplay.

Like if it was up to me we would have injured walking animations like in the resident evil or rainbow six series (resident evil guy walks slowly holding his ribs, rainbow six guy drags his injured leg when he walks - a bit like danny dyer lol). Unfortunately seeing the amount of work that it would require, we wouldnt announce it as a feature unless it was at least 90% done and tested...

A few pages back lecholas requested a video, then said "Offcourse I'll understand if you would like to keep it misterious till the release date." (sorry for replying so late btw) : well this isnt about keeping it mysterious and secret in our underground bunker till we are ready to take over the world, its about avoiding advertising for stuff and creating a big hype for stuff that wont be there in end. Like ever since 2004 i had a few multi turret scripts of my own that i tested on my panthers, but never talked about it to the public. reason : didnt want to present this as a feature to the public until i was sure it wasnt too buggy to be useable... Plus to be fair i'd rather spend 2 hours working on the mod than spending 2 hours making a neat video (well of course there's the occasional break to take screenshots and post them here lol)

So in conclusion yes you can expect plenty of native random anim stuff (that's already been coded and tested so that's been confirmed ages ago), and plenty of scripted anim stuff (but right now can only confirm the bolt action).

@all thanks for your interest,

Fab

Like if it was up to me we would have injured walking animations like in the resident evil or rainbow six series (resident evil guy walks slowly holding his ribs, rainbow six guy drags his injured leg when he walks - a bit like danny dyer lol). Unfortunately seeing the amount of work that it would require, we wouldnt announce it as a feature unless it was at least 90% done and tested...

Ok thank you for fast answer, and I agree with you .

smile_o.gif don't ask what can the game do for you, ask yourself what can you do for the game wink_o.gif

Keep it up and take your time, OFP isn't that dead like many MP players says pistols.gif

Wonderful idea and nice work.FAB! Just worried you might be so lonely to keep work and may stop it... But now glad to see you still are alive. xmas_o.gif

Just a suggestion, whether is possible to use your addon compatible in Liberation Mod? For the very teriffic effects of Liberation Mod, I've adapted my WW2 stuff and played them in Liberation Mod. If your Mod come out, just worry to adapt them again, oh, too huge work for me... Maybe I ask too much confused_o.gif

Another suggestion, you could use high resolution texture for your addons now. With the PC for ARMA, now we could play a real WW2

Wonderful idea and nice work.FAB! Just worried you might be so lonely to keep work and may stop it... But now glad to see you still are alive. xmas_o.gif

Just a suggestion, whether is possible to use your addon compatible in Liberation Mod? For the very teriffic effects of Liberation Mod, I've adapted my WW2 stuff and played them in Liberation Mod. If your Mod come out, just worry to adapt them again, oh, too huge work for me... Maybe I ask too much confused_o.gif

Another suggestion, you could use high resolution texture for your addons now. With the PC for ARMA, now we could play a real WW2 battle in OFP. With disappointing at ARMAR's lag, I now play OFP and could put many troops in game. Now a real fight anmiated for WW2 east and west...

Well this is without doubt the most impressive thing I have seen on these forums (inc Arma) for a very long time. I salute your hard work and greatly look forward to playing with the final product. notworthy.gif

Hi OFPCAT,

yes maybe you ask too much hehe biggrin_o.gif

I doubt this is going to happen. Liberation mod has a very restrictive mod structure, while we have our own mod structure and a lot of stuff (by stuff i mean scripts and effects) are heavily dependant on units classnames and models... So in the end wwIIec Caen mod structure is a bit more open: we dont hide BIS base class, so other addons can be visible, and we use west = allied and east = germans as sides (while lib uses the opposite). So in the end we offer >limited< support for independant addons. But you cant except the two mods to run together. if that were to be done we would have to design our entire mod around their mod. Dont get me wrong, its a great mod they did there, we even setup a cooperation thread at wwIIec back in the days to share ideas with them etc.. (for example they implemented their own version of the bolt action script, in return they gave us permission to use whatever models we wanted for our mod etc...). But in the end it's still two very different mods with every different objectives, so i wouldnt hold my breath about compatibility (plus both mod are set in a totally different era of the war). But in the end i think you'll be pretty satisified with wwIIec's own effects. Like i said we shared a lot of ideas, but we just went different ways about implementing them.

"Just worried you might be so lonely to keep work and may stop it"

lonely ? who said i was lonely ? tounge2.gif Its true i have been demotivated for the past 6 month (hence the very slow progress till i came back "full time" last week), but i'm far from being the only one working on this mod. True i'm the only one dealing with the anim config sh*t, but we've got a great team working on this mod. Sure some people dont spend as much time as other do, we all have our lives, but when this mod come out this will be thanks to every single active member of this team (and previous contributions by now inactive members). from the top of my head (and in no particular order really):

* Sengir (animations... lots and lots of them lol and later on lots of great missions i suppose)

* T_Roc (lots and lots of armoured vehicles)

* Guy (Bren, british mortars etc..)

* H.m (lots of equipments for our infantry and weapon accessories that we havent shown yet out of lazyness really)

* Battling Bitch (helmet textures, face textures, weapon accessories, panzerfaust, lots of objects for the island... and probably a lot of things i'm forgetting right now)

* Jagy (importing guy's models, and other model work on weapons)

* Dante (farms and island objects)

* Red Devil (lots of help with textures)

* Trenchfeet (planes and objects)

(sorry if i forgot anyone ?)

then there's previous members (inactive or still around) who did a lot of the work in the past that we reworked more recently and still work on/ use today for when the mod comes out:

* Vibes (pak36, BSA M20, Harley Davidson WLA, lots of german weapons... well lots of things really)

* Darknova (original infantry model that i reworked, the full Caen map - waiting for objects and vegetation to be finished to resume the work.. and various other contributions)

* Hugo the clown (textures for some of vibes models)

* Motho38 (polsten AA gun, search lights, and a few things i'm forgetting)

* Parker for setting up our website and looking after our hosting (now that's RD's job..). without our private forum there would be very little team work going on...

* Gogs (for sorting out like a million british armpatches for our soldiers... and managed to make it tidy despite the mess that british military organisation is)

And of course all the people outside the mod who were kind enough to either donate, gave permission or offered to help on models (or simply inspiring us with their own work):

* TheSun (BSA M20 lods)

* the liberation mod team (special thanks to bdfy for sharing ideas, thanks to the entire team for giving permission to reskin some vehicles)

* the invasion44 team (special thanks to Marcel for donating the higgins boat a while back and giving permission to rework and reuse some of the mod's content. And special thanks to Jojimbo for the healthy competition over the years, his passion for infantry and vegetation is what got me interested and inevitably led to my anim/infantry/vegetation work, and pushed me to improve myself. before that i just worked on vehicles...)

* Despite all the criticism he received, Marfy has contributed greatly to wwIIec... and to the mod community in general. not by giving models or that sort of things, but i learned a lot about texturing just by looking at his screenshots. That may sound stupid but in the same way Jojimbo showed us what could be done in the infantry/vegetation department, Marfy did the same thing with vehicles. Wether you admire the guy for his work or hate him for not releasing stuff, his screenshots had a huge impact on most of us wwII addon makers...

(and once again im prolly forgetting some ppl).

So yeah even if most of these ppl are gone, the vast majority of the active members in the team (top of that long list) is getting motivated again and coming back fater that 6 month of slow progress (/hiatus for some)... So nope, its definitly not just me and Sengir working on this mod, and although i seem to be the one posting public screenshots of my own work, i would certainly hate it if people thought i was the only one who deserved credit when the mod comes out...

Damn that post turned out to be longer than what i originally intended to type... better go back to work on the mod whistle.gif

@all: and thanks for your interest in the mod, although in the end us addon makers are a selfish bunch, developing the mod for ourselves and taking our sweet time (thats right... we're not the salvation army lol whistle.gif ), it's still very nice to know that people will enjoy it as much as we will when it's finished. That and the feedback. It's always nice to get feedback (good or bad) about our screenshots. Plus you guys have been very patient, very few posts asking for a release date so far. Oh yeah and thanks to some of you for pointing historical innacuracies (mainly AKM, was it ?) and giving useful info. Its not that we dont do our research, but we're just human and sometimes we do get it wrong (like me doing early war british uniform instead of late war style at the begining of this long thread)

[EDIT]

oh yeah and there's at least one thing i can 100% confirm about the whole script/effect thing. Like i said ealier there's lots of ideas or projects (that i cant confirm till its tested and proven gameplay friendly), but one thing i can confirm is the scripting structure behind it. Basically back in late 2005 i realised a lot of these features would be nightmarish to implement and use a lot of ressource by running in parallel. That and, being from a programming background myself, I realised things would be a lot easier to implement if the scripting was more object/event oriented...

So i went ahead and designed several scripts/structures that every over effect just plugs on top of.

* first of all there's the event monitor / event structure. well, "virtual" event handlers would be a better name for it. you can see a very early version of it in the wwIIec US pack from 2004, where there was a single monitor script (only one instance of it running ingame at all time) that detected if the game had been reloaded from a savegame, and reset all setobjecttexture textures accordingly (to correct the BIS bug where they disapear after saving/reloading a game). So then i thoguth, BIS eventhandlers are the best thing that ever hapened to OFP scripting/effects (imagine if you had to do a loop to check if every units fired their weapons or got hit...), and decided to make a structure that used native BIS eventhandlers and that monitor script to create virtually any "virtual" event handlers i wanted. So basically using a function you add one of these "virtual" eventhandlers to a unit, which adds it to a list of units to monitor for that particular event, and the event monitor script does the rest (calls the event script if it is flagged). This greatly simplifies (and makes for less CPU usage too) scripting effects, as :

1. scripts checking for similar things dont run in parallel anymore. Two events checking for the same thing (distance to another unit for example) are only checking the same thing once thanks to the even monitor script.

2. since the actual monitoring and checking for what units are doing isnt handled by the effect script anymore, its a lot easier to add new effects... as easy as adding a script that runs from a "native" BIS eventhandler. So thanks to that, I have "virtual" event handlers checking if unit is under fire for example, which makes it easy to add all sorts of AI improvements or effect (for example virtual event "UNDERFIRE" has the even monitor checking for native BIS events such as unit fired or hit, as well as other virtual evens such as checking distance to what enemy fired their weapons).

** then there's the whole object structure. Object oriented programming (like c++ or visual basic.net) makes it a lot easier for us programmers to store object properties (like a soldier's list of textures, and other scripted stats), or methods (like what effect script is associated to what event, or what events are currently active/monitored). So i made a series of generic functions to "declare" objects and their properties/methods, adding the ability for them to inherit them from a parent class (for example "scripted" german soldier object inherits from "scripted" soldier object who inherits from "scripted" man object - a lot like the class structure in ofp's config.cpp), to simplify declaring new objects. As a result a lot of the effect scripts can be generic to any unit, and when called by the event monitor, they just have to take their specific parameters from the unit's "scripted" object class, therefore customizing the effect script to their own needs.

So that's done and tested. All i need to do is add more virtual events, and then its easy to add more effects etc... So far the plan is to include basic effects in the first release and then patch to add more and more features improving AI and effects, the whole thing making it easy for us to add or modify existing ones without having to spend hours designing a new script that would endup checking the same thing as another similar script...

And adding new units using that stuff is easy as they can inherit from existing similar classes... (just like what happens with config.cpp)

i'm not saying this is ofp revolution, i bet some mods like ECP or COC already uses similiar ideas, but its just easier to design my own specifically tailored to wwIIec rather than spend ages trying to figure out how theirs work...

So yeah in the long run, expect lots and lots of effects and improvements... But yeah like i said, cant confirm which ones specifically (apart from bolt action, and the stuff which corrects BIS reloading BUG: resetting anims, textures and faces to their stored, orginal state. And of course the usual, trivial to add, random helmet textures, nets etc... but we presented that earlier on already...)

Cya all later

Fab.

Quick question :

I saw that Dante had some work in progress projects like that new US soldier, what happened to it ? Yeah you are focusing on the main MOD and thats good, I am just asking wink_o.gif

God with you,FAB. You would create not only a Mod but a new game! smile_o.gif We know we shouldn't ask too much or push for release. But you know, just cant help ourselves sometimes... banghead.gif

Quick question :

I saw that Dante had some work in progress projects like that new US soldier, what happened to it ? Yeah you are focusing on the main MOD and thats good, I am just asking wink_o.gif

well i'm going to tell you the truth.

i stopped all ofp/arma stuff, except the models for ww2ec.

i'm just fed up with the bis programs. i spend weeks to make the us soldier, and finally in game, that seems just crap.

same thing for my scifi soldier. oxygen is just a heap of shit, i don't want anymore use it.

maybe for Arma2 if the bis progs are clearly better.

I can sympathise with that Dante.For

me it's the almost complete lack of control

over the selections that boils my blood.

Like you said,ye spend hours getting your

character just right.Then ye bring it ingame,

and it gets mangled and mutilated beyond

recognition.Most of the time,all ye can do is

hope for the best.Or even worse,try to

compensate using OFPanim.

banghead.gif

Anyway,good luck to you and the rest of the

WW2EC team.Judging from the high quality work

I've seen shown in this thread,it's going to be a

great mod.

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Like you said,ye spend hours getting your

character just right.Then ye bring it ingame,

and it gets mangled and mutilated beyond

recognition.

ever tried to modify point weights ?

It seems there are many model talents here. So just wonder any body could give me a hand regarding a problem of handgrenade ? I tried to move german Stgh24 handgrenade from Inv44 weapon pack to the body of a soldier model. I mean let the grenade insert in the belt of the soldier. In O2 seems okay in right place. But in game, it drops the feet of the soldier and just linger there when soldier moves. I think it must be something wrong to use such grenade directly from the weapon pack. Anybody could give a help?

of course a handgrenade from a weapon pack does not have the selections it has to have if it's part of a soldier. if a part of a soldier model is not part of any of its selections, then it floats somewhere near the ground as you've described in your post wink_o.gif

so, it depends on where exactly you want to place that hand grenade. somewhere at the belt you would in any case make it part of the 'bricho' selection (means belly or something) and then, depending on which side you place it, 'lzadek' or 'pzadek' (leaft or right hip.)

i recommend to import rtm animation in o2 and preview model in this way wink_o.gif you'll see all the bugs much faster

Many thanks for nice suggestion,guys! But bdy, what is 'rtm'?could you tell where to get it?

I think you mean the new O2 for ARMA? Just downloaded it but have few knowledge to use it. Could it also be for modelling for OFP? I've tried to use it to open P3d file from OFP but failed.

Quote[/b] ]Could it also be for modelling for OFP?

yes. though there's no use in it - there're no usefull for ofp features

ofp progs are crappy, you should learn to use a good 3d program

Oh, just not so disappointed, you guys have really made something by O2, please see the following stuff with some modifications...

( Move to New Topic )

@OFPCAT

hello, although your addons look nice, please don´t post screenshots of your work in WWIIEC thread. You can always start your own corner on the BIforums. I will gladly comment them there.

Also for the rest of you guys, please remember this is a Caen44 place, so I really don´t get why you discuss oxygen matters and other stuff here that has nothing in common with our project. Thank you.

Any Caen44 news???

I think one question mark is quite enough. mad_o.gif

It's nothing bad on asking question pal icon_rolleyes.gif