Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

Guns

Since there isn`t thread about guns....

I think there`s something that should be considered.

I have thought about two modern assauld rifles:

OICW - Something like that should be fielded round 2008/9, so it`s not so far from the ofp2 (2006...sad but true)

So near the 2006/2007 it should lose a bit of it`s mythical and mysterious reputation.

And something much more lighter - the MX8...

"According to the present plans, the XM8 should enter full production circa 2005, if not earlier, several years before the XM29 OICW"

Correct me if i`m wrong please. There is a whole bunch of information about those projects around the net, and those of you guys who`re better introduced in this case please come out with your opinion.

The XM29 (OICW) has been scrapped because it was too expensive and complex to issue as a standard weapon. The ONLY people who MAY get to use it in the field are spec ops, but I'm sure they'll make custom SOPMOD versions of the XM-8 for SOCOM when it enters proper service. If the campaign will be set within the next decade I'm sure they'll at least give them XM-8's, although I imagine they'll set it either now, or recent history, like CWC, and if they're sticking to old plans probably Vietnam.

I don't really care what guns and vehicles are added to the game, frankly. We have a large enough mod community that anything we will most likely want will be made/in the process of being made.

I know exactly how it sounds: OICW,

but for a moment I thought: heh, why not, it`s just a game...

And It`s the purpose of this thread.

Realism, yes, but on the other hand...

Guys who want ofp2 to be "super silent special forces operations"  tounge_o.gif   tounge_o.gif   tounge_o.gif  will be happy.

Besides, as I said the XM8 is no as mythical as OICW, although something like XM29 is just a matter of time.

No 2008? 2020 maybe?

The OICW features two distinct weapons systems in the single package, with a variable optics and controls system. That's a number of suggestions right there.

The XM8 project is a modular system like a fully railed M4. Modular weapons has also been suggested as well.

Modular systems, multiple combined weapons, flexible optics and controls, these are generic engine suggestions, of which the XM8 and OICW are only two minor examples.

OICW is dead, too large n expensive n heavy

HAHAHA the XM8 is just a G36 with a new shell.

man what a wast of money.. oh well the Germans need all the money they can get.

Why do I get the impression that OFP2 will be set much before the 80's?

If so, the whole future stuff discussion is out of place.

Hmmm,

Seeing the official website, one may assume that BIS has no clear idea of what OFP2 wiil be, either.

It may be the VBS for the poor, as well.

Seeing the official website, one may assume that BIS has no clear idea of what OFP2 wiil be, either.

yeap...an we really don`t know if we`ll see xm8 or xm 177...

*going back to my dreams....<oicw tounge_o.gif >

I just hope there won't be a golden gun g36 in ofp2. I hate being killed cuz i got shot once in the foot.

HAHAHA  the XM8 is just a G36 with a new shell.

man what a wast of money.. oh well the Germans need all the money they can get.

Doesnt matter, XM8 or G36 they would have to try hard to make something worse than the proven failure M16 series.

The germans know what they do very well, thats why every yank would like to have a benz or a BMW tounge_o.gif .

On topic now i dont really care about seing prototypes of weapons in the new game, would break realism if the theme is based on a real life conflict or represents real military and their actual equipment, i think acurate equipment is best for the game smile_o.gif .

Doesn't matter, XM8 or G36 they would have to try hard to make something worse than the proven failure M16 series.

Proven failure..??   The M16 is one of the proven, reliable and flexible guns made -- with variants in use since the 1960's.

The reason they haven't found a replacement rifle is because

despite all the advancements in technology, still nothing comes close to it -- when comparing things like cost per unit and ease of use

Go find me another gun that's seen almost 50 years in service

and prove me wrong...

The OICW -> http://world.guns.ru/assault/as40-e.htm

The OICW project is dead -- the weapon was too expensive per unit and too heavy to use in any real combat situation --> it spawned the XM8 project...

The XM8 -> http://world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm

The last I heard was the Special Forces didn't want this gun either -- reports of the plastic shell overheating and melting....

The favoured gun now is the FN SCAR: http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm

I certainly would like to see some official campaigns centred around these new types of guns. I'm sure BIS won't dissapoint...

Doesn't matter, XM8 or G36 they would have to try hard to make something worse than the proven failure M16 series.

Proven failure..??   The M16 is one of the proven, reliable and flexible guns made -- with variants in use since the 1960's.

despite all the advancements in technology, still nothing comes close to it -- when comparing things like cost per unit and ease of use

and prove me wrong...

The OICW project is dead -- the weapon was too expensive per unit and too heavy to use in any real combat situation --> it spawned the XM8 project...

The last I heard was the Special Forces didn't want this gun either -- reports of the plastic shell overheating and melting....

I certainly would like to see some official campaigns centred around these new types of guns. I'm sure BIS won't dissapoint...

AK-47. There's been many AK varients in service since it's introduction in 1949.

The M16 hasn't been replaced because of several factors. Such as cost, pride (the Americans have a certain pride in saying "we made all our own stuff", and the fact the Americans haven't managed to make anything viably better than it (related to pride). They swallowed that pride a few years ago when they handed the contract to HK for their next generation assault rifle instead of the all American Colt like their current issue rifle.

The M16 jams a lot, unless its cleaned very regularly, which is something not easy to do in combat. Recent events in Iraq and Afghanistan have made the DoD fast track a replacement because of its failures in sand.

and prove me wrong...

AK-47. There's been many AK varients in service since it's introduction in 1949.

The M16 hasn't been replaced because of several factors. Such as cost, pride (the Americans have a certain pride in saying "we made all our own stuff", and the fact the Americans haven't managed to make anything viably better than it (related to pride). They swallowed that pride a few years ago when they handed the contract to HK for their next generation assault rifle instead of the all American Colt like their current issue rifle.

The M16 jams a lot, unless its cleaned very regularly, which is something not easy to do in combat. Recent events in Iraq and Afghanistan have made the DoD fast track a replacement because of its failures in sand.

Apparently you don't know but the Xm8 while its not dead its on hold and Iseriously doubt it will ever see combat due to several factors I whont mention here find the reasont topic in offtopic if you want to know.

HK has sold the gun to GD.

The reason the M16 is stil in service is that its a world class gun why do you think a very large amount of weatern special forces use the gun its pros outwhights its cons.

The M16 does not jam alot, as long as you remember to lubricate your weapon it does not jam offen you can fire as much as 6000 rounds through if you lube it. And about 1000 if you don't do it continuently. In sand conditions its not a good idear to lube it as sand stick to it. And while it might not be easy to clean the rifle in combat I don't realy think meany GI cleans his rifle under fire and will problery use his base for shouch purposes. And every body has to clean his rifle daily even if its a G36.

STGN

about the XM-8. if you want to play with that rifle. i hear the americas army game community is implanting the weapon in its game. it will be released next Loooong awaited patch.

its release is roumerd in may biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

i know whatll be cool .. i dont know any games these days , where if you are using a belt fed machine gun, you see that if you have 2 rounds left.. you will see 2 rounds in the box, and so on. so thatll be a good feature.

The OICW is shite, there's nothing about the gun that exemplifies finesse at all. It was a bulky heavy, high maintenance gun with a complicated fire control system, which is the only thing that makes the gun even remotely unique.

The only thing really different about the XM-8 is the fact that it looks like something out of a sci fi movie. Of course since the transition to refitting the military to a gun that fires an entirely new cartrige would be costly and largely ineffective versus the price paid. They rightfully dumped it's ass.

I'm assuming Funnyguy1 is just looking for some scifi looking halo gun that shoots 40mm grenades at a high velocity.

Which is kinda lame, since you could do that already in ofp. And to be honest. It's not all that cool.

Which is kinda lame, since you could do that already in ofp. And to be honest. It's not all that cool.

It <IS> lame, and that`s the purpose of this thread......

You didn`t get the part with the "finesse" wink_o.gif

Btw, I can`t detonate grenades in-flight in ofp...

Although there was a bunch of H&K addons, I wanted OICW in ofp2 because:

1. It`s "scifi looking halo gun" which is lame I admit... tounge_o.gif

2. It has nice optics, grenades, and so on (technical issues)

Baphomet, you never dreamed about it?

I don`t belive you

tounge_o.gif

/rant on/ Just give me an M16A4 with all the RIS attachments (Forward vert grip, PEQ2/PAQ4, Surefire taclight, Aimpoint or ACOG) or M4A1 with above attachments, and also M249 and M240 with deployable bipods and I'll be happy, no need for all that experimental crap which wont see combat in large scale for years. Plus all the anti armour and new combat gear the Soldiers/Marines are issued with (Interceptor body armour, MICH helmets, knee pads) to make the soldiers in game look like the real deal. I'm sick of "realistic" games which have all this hype but suffer from complete lack of vision and any idea of what they are doing or developing.

For example of what the troops in game should look like, loading up the .pdf from www.usmc.mil website below will show you a concept sketch of what Marines are being or will be issued with, this is what player models in game SHOULD look like, and I say Marines as the camo pattern in the game is latest screenshots is Marpat if I'm not mistaken..

www.usmc.mil article /rant off/

ok funnyguy, ofp2 need new weappons, but if any player had xm8 or oicw will be not funny anymore. its like the old thing with g 36, everybody got one. ofp2 will be a real war(i hope) and not just special missions . we need indeed new weapponery but just like in real life. wink_o.gif

The reason the M16 is stil in service is that its a world class gun why do you think a very large amount of weatern special forces use the gun its pros outwhights its cons.

The M16 does not jam alot, as long as you remember to lubricate your weapon it does not jam offen you can fire as much as 6000 rounds through if you lube it. And about 1000 if you don't do it continuently. In sand conditions its not a good idear to lube it as sand stick to it. And while it might not be easy to clean the rifle in combat I don't realy think meany GI cleans his rifle under fire and will problery use his base for shouch purposes. And every body has to clean his rifle daily even if its a G36.

STGN

I don't know of any special forces that use M16.

I guess the U.S. might.

The French use G36.

Reputedly, British special forces used to use the Diemaco because it could be fitted with an integrated grenade launcher.

Actual operational details of British special forces is of course a state secret, some were captured on film in Afghanistan using Gpmgs and Ak's during a prison revolt.

As previously noted Armalites have an incredibly poor record in desert combat. The poorest of all western Automatic rifles.

Likewise the Minime.

After operation Anaconda, in Afghanistan, out of a test group of 54 U.S soldiers interviewed, 28 reported that their M4s had jammed in combat, and 7/8 SAW gunners said that when faced with the enemy their weapons had failed to fire completely.

The M4 was also reported to become uncomfortably hot.

Having to repeatedly oil and clean your weapon during combat operations is a major shortfall in design. The Ak series of rifles when deployed by the Russian special forces in Afghanistan, were cleaned once per month by the armourer  and never by a rifleman in the field.

It's not much good if the enemy show up while you are cleaning your rifle. Or if during a firefight you squad firepower is reduced by members of your fireteam unjamming their weapons.

But yes no "exotics" as standard please. Regular weapons please. Jamming a la America's Army would make a fine addition to the game.

The game is to be set on 2010, what weapon the US forces will be using on that year? The XM-8?

The game is to be set on 2010, what weapon the US forces will be using on that year? The XM-8?

If so, it'll be m-8.

You can see m16a4 on the screens.