Sign in to follow this  
HOBOMAN

Ia Trang

A week ago I was watching the movie We Were Soldiers. If your not familar with the movie, it is about the 7th Air Calvary in Vietnam and the fight for LZ X-Ray in Ia Trang. So, about a day after watching this movie, I though this would be a good battle to recreate in Opflash. I check out Seb Ia Trang and go to the spot marked LZ-Ray. I notice the terrain doesn't look much like the real place (http://www.lzxray.com/overview.htm).

Now I know some people might think I'm crazy but, is it posible that someone has released or is working on a more realistic map?

Thanks

Ps Is any one thinking of making a multi gunned Uh-1?

Ps Is any one thinking of making a multi gunned Uh-1?

Not possible in OFP. Engine limitation :/

Hey, i watched it on TV as well Hoboman.

Sounds good if you can do it.

No it is possible, look at Colonel Klink's boats here:

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=7043

Just if that same script could work with a helocopter...

No it is not possible ;)

There's the pitch/bank problem that you won't solve with flying/not straight (like ships) moving vehicles. Many people tried and many poeple stopped trying, believe them, that's one of the engine limitations we most probably won't overcome wink_o.gif

they won't wink_o.gif

Basicly, the boat setposses multiple vehicles (the turrest) into the right location, but one cannot "roll" turrets, so it can only be applied to boats.

But back to the point of LZ X-Ray, does anyone know what vietnam mods or addon makers still active that might make it?

What a coincidence, I saw the movie few weeks ago, too.

A nice movie, a bit gory, but good anyway.

First I thought the Chinook at the end was wrong model, but Googled Ch47A few mins ago and... I was wrong. I mixed early Chinooks with Ch-46 Sea Knight.

Multible heli gunner posistions would be possible if you would make two guns on heli and one gunner pos in middle.If you understand me.You know....dummies using guns (dummies would look like real soldiers) and one gunner to use both guns as different weapons.

That would do the trick.

I see what your saying, but theres a slight prob:

bullets, unless createvehicled/camcreated then setvelocity'ed can not shoot out of multiple positions at once

Multible heli gunner posistions would be possible if you would make two guns on heli and one gunner pos in middle.If you understand me.You know....dummies using guns (dummies would look like real soldiers) and one gunner to use both guns as different weapons.

That would do the trick.

No, sorry, it isn't possible smile_o.gif

You can only have 1 gun axis per vehicle, never speak of turrets. Actually: There's no way implementing two turrets in ONE vehicle. Making it TWO vehicles, each of them containing a turret, won't work either since you can't solve the pitch/bank problem as mentioned above. Many people tried (as I did) and many failed. So I think this topic should be over.

nah, lets not be too hasty to write off multiple guns on air vehicles... tounge_o.gif Where there's a will, there's a way...millions scoffed at the idea of a home computer and many scientists gave up on making one in the 60s, but it took only 1 college dropout to prove them wrong...

Now I know some people might think I'm crazy but, is it posible that someone has released or is working on a more realistic map?

Well seeing as noone actualy wanted to answer his REAL question.

to my knowledge no one has madea "true" to life IaDrang Valley near LZ XRAY. I have attemted it but my height maps alwas gave me issues. The mountains to the west of LZ XRAY are way high and gnarly and the overall terrain is quite diverse.

Ia_Drang.jpg

The northernmost arrow is LZ Albany

iadrangclip.jpg

It's Ia Drang not Trang btw tounge_o.gif That was a mistake made by the Select This when he first made the original island.

As for the heli i meant that the 2 machine guns would be like different weapons like on the gunship and dummies would move with them as the gun moves.and somewhere there would be a gunner what moves them.Can't you understand.

I'll make it as clear as i can.

1 gunner 2 guns 2 dummies.

2 guns as different weapos on both sides of heli.

As the gunner switches between the guns he will shoot with 1 gun at a time without switching posistions.Then there are 2 dummies what would move WITH the guns as they move. biggrin_o.gif

Your idea leads to nowhere as there can be only one turret axis per vehicle. You could turn around only one of these guns.

BTW. Was the movie shot in the original location? Methinks the real terrain doesn't have to look like the one in the movie...

I believe he is trying to say that the weapons would use different ammunition (such as the BMP, one ammo type is the HE shell, other is the PKT)..atleast that's how i view it anyway sorry if it is wrong.

And the film was quite good and it'd be brilliant to see it recreated in OFP, hell of a challenge however

Read mine and hardrock's posts again. No matter how many different types of weapons you have, there can be only one turret.

great thinking there, eestikas88..now try to put those words into 02 and see the result of it...it may or may not work but since u are in it, look for other alternatives......its the z axis that need to be overcome...the one i came across is devil's attach script, cos it creates an algebric calculation relative to the x and y tilt, not the normal xyz axis, may be a solution we are looking for..Once we got that figured out, we'll be able to attach weapons to air vehicles, which is one other way to yours of using dummy soldiers. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]BTW. Was the movie shot in the original location? Methinks the real terrain doesn't have to look like the one in the movie...

I think i read sometime ago that the site of the film was somewhere in Indonesia, the Philippines or Thailand.

Btw i don't know a US made vietnam movie which was shot in vietnam.

Your idea leads to nowhere as there can be only one turret axis per vehicle. You could turn around only one of these guns.

BTW. Was the movie shot in the original location? Methinks the real terrain doesn't have to look like the one in the movie...

The movie was probally not filmed in Nam... but the terrian doesn't look like real life pictures.

@philcommando:

i can't and i'm too noob for o2 (proper) using.

I just thinked a bit a told out what i was thinking.

a great movie ..and an even better book ..a prize in my bookshelf collection.

Filming Locations for

We Were Soldiers (2002)

Castle Green, Pasadena, California, USA

Columbus, Georgia, USA

Fort Benning, Georgia, USA

Fort Hunter Liggett, California, USA

Morro Bay, California, USA

I'm sure there's a 'nam island which has LZ-Xray on it. La Drang Valley, check ofp.info

Look what i found

That's not what I'm asking if you read what I wrote at all. The  LZ-Xay on Ia Trang by Seb is inaccuarate when compared to real life pictures. I know there is an exsiting addon. I am asking about if their is any work towards a more realistic Ia Trang.