Sign in to follow this  
HoboWithAK

Paradrop Troubles

I'm having a problem. Here is what I am trying to do. I have a chinook (named chinook1) that starts in flight, with this flyinheight 120 in it's init field. I individually this moveincargo chinook1 each member of a 12 man squad, whose members are named unit1 through unit12 respectivley. I tell the chinook to fly a straight line with a waypoint over the LZ and on for another 10 miles. What I did to get my guys to eject was to set up 12 triggers, and in each one put in unitx action ["EJECT",chinook1]; to force eject each unit.

Now, that is not my problem. My guys eject fine. HOWEVER, for some reason, my Chinook never wants to fly in it's mandated height of 120M. This usually causes atleast 2 or 3 guys to die. And, even though it's none of it's business, when my guys are force ejected out of the Chinook, the Chinook seems to think is has to flare and land to pick up the guys again, even though the Chinook and the squad are not grouped together. Even the group leader orders the squad to remount the Chinook. I don't understand, the group and the chinook are not tied together in any way except the trigger and the moveincargo command, and these shouldn't be binding the groups together, should they?

How do I just get the Chinook to follow it's waypoints without landing when guys start jumping out, and why isn't my Chinook obeying it's flyinheight command?

You have to unassignvehicle each of the units that are ejecting from the chinook.

when an AI is in cargo , it is a "part" of the Chinook , so when it ejects from the chinook , they both want to be united again (how touching wink_o.gif )

So in your case , in the triggers , instead of adding

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">unitx action ["EJECT",chinook1]

add this

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">unassignvehicle unitx; unitx action ["EJECT",chinook1]

this way the AI ejecting will not be anymore a part of the Chinook.

That is an OFP divorce in fact smile_o.gif

Thanks, that worked. Let me warn everyone who reads this that using a Chinook doesn't work. The model is so big, half the guys who drop out get their chutes hung up on the airframe model and get them ripped from their backs, and make some nice craters that the survivors can use for cover later. Switch to a Blackhawk, and not a single problem.

to solve the flyinheight thing, helicopters and airplanes have different commands: Flyinheight for Planes. Flyingheight for Helicopters. This may not be true but there are 2 commands and 1 works for helis, the other works with planes. tounge_o.gif

And dont make the flyingheight in the init field, make it a trigger. wink_o.gif

Actually, flyinheight works just fine for helicopters... However, do not use it in the init line of the unit... rather I recommend a simple script with setpos's the helo to 120 meters, then gives the flyinheight command...

Thanks, that worked. Let me warn everyone who reads this that using a Chinook doesn't work. The model is so big, half the guys who drop out get their chutes hung up on the airframe model and get them ripped from their backs, and make some nice craters that the survivors can use for cover later. Switch to a Blackhawk, and not a single problem.

i used a chinook fully loaded and all the chutes work great but i had to put a .5 sec delay between chutes if ya dump 24 men all at the same time i can see your problem tounge_o.gif

I dumped them about 3/4 to a full second apart. Even with the MH-47 crawling along at 10KPH, five our six out of 12 would always lose their canopies and die.

Another thing to do about the altitud of the choper is to create some big triggers under the flying path of the heli that on the "on activation" field you add the altitud you want it to go, so it will never get under that altitud cos the order to fly that high gets updated every time it flies over one of them triggers.

All you got to do is play with the size of the triggers to sincronice it with the flying speed so it won't fly on a wave going up and down all the time.

Cheep, simple and nasty, but it works.

I hope this hellp.

Regards.

@CERO.