Sign in to follow this  
General Barron

What is the proper term for...

Hey all, quick question here that hopefully someone will know the answer to. I've made a script that makes an airplane in your squad fly in a circle around its current location, via the action menu. Obviously the point is that this way you can have the air support standing by, waiting for you to give them a target, without them flying off to god-knows where at sea.

My question is: what is the proper military terminology for this sort of thing? I need it for my sidechatter between the squad leader and pilot, as well as for the action name. I think this would sound kinda dumb:

Quote[/b] ]player: "Okay 6, fly around in a circle there."

pilot: "Roger that, flying in a circle."

...and then, when the pilot breaks his circle:

pilot: "I've stopped flying in a cricle now."

As much detail as you can provide about this sort of menouever (sp), please do.

Anchored at target area? rock.gif

That's what I was told to use in one of my Pigs Can Fly Campaign missions by someone quite professional on the LOMAC forums.

Pehaps it's unrealistic, but in the BHD movie they dsaid 'holding pattern'

Quote[/b] ]leaving position, going into holding pattern

Right after they dropped the guys on the ground.

But this is for a specific mission, where a flightplan (inlcuding holding pattern) was already known before the mission started.

For a plane to circle the ara I guess they'll just tell him "circle the target-area" or something like that. (not like you did; "go fly in circles". That sounds stupid)

You could also try to listen to the sounds on this site and see if something is close to what you want;

http://www.lazygranch.com/red_audio.htm

This thread should be merged with the one I started a while back about USAF jargon or brevity code.

You'll find some useful links in that thread. Maybe one of them holds the answer.

EDIT: - though I still think "anchored at target" is it.

I think "anchored at target" sounds VERY strange. That's a Navy term and even they don't "anchored at target".

Perhaps the USMC pilots use this sometimes, but I don't really think the USAF uses this very often.

@Lionclaw

CAS isn't really the term I'm after, I'm looking for the specific terminology related to when the air assets just fly around in circles, waiting for a CAS request.

@Cpt. FrostBite

I guess I wasn't sarcastic enough, but the whole "go fly in circles" bit was a bit tounge-in-cheek :P. Thanks for the link though, I'll check it out.

@Avon

Thanks for the help and the links on the other post. I'll check them out. If the term really is "Anchored at target area", how could I turn that into a request? Basically, I need the following chatter:

Quote[/b] ]Squad leader: "Pilot, please circle around"

Pilot: "Okay, I'll do that"

Or more/less chatter, however it is really done. So how would I use your terminology there? Something like this?

Quote[/b] ]Squad leader: "4, anchor at target area, over."

Pilot: "Roger that, out."

I suppose that would work, but does it sound a little funny? It seems so...

------

Now for another related question: at about what altitude would the pilot "anchor at target area"? This is for fixed-wing, CAS aircraft (A10, Mig, etc), although I'm curious about helos as well.

Maybe this will help you. It's from my campaign's Pig Sty mission.

One or two A-10s (callsign POLECAT) are encircling an area where armor vehicle have just been eliminated. They are to keep watch, while a Chinook (callsign HOPPY) ingresses to disembark ground forces to secure the area. This is from a rough draft I still have:

Quote[/b] ]********Messages while holding around the area or in search and destroy.

POLECAT8: Hoppy45, Polecat8.

HOPPY45: Polecat8, 45. Authenticate Victor November.

POLECAT8: Hoppy45, Polecat8. Autentication is Lima.

HOPPY45: Polecat8, Hoppy45, roger. Glad to have you with us. Go ahead.

POLECAT8: Holding kill box. Echo, Scanning for targets of opportunity. Retain position.

HOPPY45: Polecat8, roger. Holding on your signal.

******** Messages when the Chinook can start moving in.

POLECAT8: Hoppy45 from Polecat8, target area sanitized, clean and cold. Ingress at this time. Polecat8 at angels 1, anchored at target area. On-call with 40 minutes play time.

HOPPY45: Roger, Hoppy45 is inbound to the DZ, ETA four minutes.

********Messages when the SU27 is detected and during the ensuing dogfight or retreat.

P7/8: Heads up! One bandit down the slot from northeast, angels 3, closing. Strong spike. Accelerating.

POLECAT8: Hoppy45, Polecat8, heads up! Hostile contact heading our way. THREAT is FAST MOVER, probable FLANKER from the northeast. Expedite if you can.

HOPPY45: Roger, 8. Hoppy is 2 minutes to DZ. Can you handle the THREAT? Over.

P7/8: Breaking right, engaged offensive!

********Messages when Chinook completes drop and flys out.

HOPPY45: Cargo deployed and preparing to RTB this time, request cover status

P7/8: Hoppy45, engaging lone bandit over CP at angels 1. Stand by.

P7/8 Hoppy45, all clear this time.

For a plane to circle the ara I guess they'll just tell him "circle the target-area" or something like that. (not like you did; "go fly in circles". That sounds stupid)

I think "Loiter at AO" is fine.

AO - Area of Operation

Loiter is indeed the term you are looking for.

Loiter is indeed the  term you are looking for.

From the official brevity codes manual:

Quote[/b] ]ANCHOR(ED) 1. Orbit about a specific point; refueling track flown by tanker.

2. Informative to indicate a turning engagement about a specific

location.

Okay, found another term from the brevity manual:

Quote[/b] ]CAP/CAPPING 1. Directive call to establish an (Location) orbit at a specified location.

2. An orbit at an specified location.

Sounds like it fits better than anchoring, but I'm not sure how to use this one in a sentence...

Okay, found another term from the brevity manual:
Quote[/b] ]CAP/CAPPING 1. Directive call to establish an (Location) orbit at a specified location.

2. An orbit at an specified location.

Sounds like it fits better than anchoring, but I'm not sure how to use this one in a sentence...

CAP or Combat Air Patrol is for a (much) larger area. Like it says; it's a patrol. It's not used for saying that you'll cricle a target (specific target-zone like a hill-top, base, ect).

I think "anchored at target" sounds VERY strange. That's a Navy term and even they don't "anchored at target".

Perhaps the USMC pilots use this sometimes, but I don't really think the USAF uses this very often.

I think it's completely reasonable sounding.

On El Centro Auxilary Air Station where I was last weekend, they said that you were "aboard" the base... not "on" the base.

From what I remember playing SEAL TEAM, when I had an OV-10 Bronco just flying around somewhere away from the action, waiting for me to use them, I would set a loiter waypoint.

Definitely loiter, if they are tasked to stay in a general area awaiting further orders or tasking like a specific call for CAS from a Forward Air Controller.

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=70

includes the term in context.

But if you Google for "loiter" and "brevity", you'll only find the word "loiter" used as descriptive but not as a part of aircrew communications jargon.

Definitely loiter, if they are tasked to stay in a general area awaiting further orders or tasking like a specific call for CAS from a Forward Air Controller.

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=70

includes the term in context.

But if you Google for "loiter" and "brevity", you'll only find the word "loiter" used as descriptive but not as a part of aircrew communications jargon.

And if you google for "anchor" you'll end up crazy.. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]On El Centro Auxilary Air Station where I was last weekend, they said that you were "aboard" the base... not "on" the base

That's because it's a naval air station.

Actually, having reviewed the thread in the context of the original post - I think Avon is right. A typical call would be "Anchor bullseye 250 at 20".

Loiter is what the aircraft does - Anchor is the command used over the radio.

Apologies for doubting you Avon.

Rats 404

Alright, thanks for the links all, lots of useful info there smile_o.gif. "Anchored" it is. I suppose this topic could be locked if a mod wanted to now...