Sign in to follow this  
Bmot

Whaddup with all that fuel ?

smile_o.gif Hellöw maties and gentlemen, here's my issue:

I've always wondered why it is that people set the fuelcapatity of addons

to 120 or even more (I've seen choppers with F=250+ ) !!! crazy_o.gif

The thing is, in real world, a chopper has a short range of flight and so does fighters.

Now, how many of you guys 'n' gals have EVER used a fueltruck in yer missions??? hm-hm!

I've set all my addons to a fuelcapaity between 30 and 90 at max (few exceptions...) and I gotta tell ya,

it brings a much more interesting scenery to everything!

Also in MP, the precence of a "fuel team" is suddenly not all boring; they are your bud's that you REALLY wanna protect since loosing them can mean loosing the game!

And why can a skoda circle the island 10.000 times? whats the deal with fuel stations then?

Well, no more details or examples - ye all got the point I guess smile_o.gif

I just hope that MOD makers (especially collector-mods like Y2K3 or FFUR) will take this under concideration.

And before changing anything in such mods, I think you all should pop in yer own opinions about fuelcapacity.

Hope ye take it serious - its really a topic that bugs me (having to alter all those addons)

crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The thing is, in real world, a chopper has a short range of flight and so does fighters.

Now, how many of you guys 'n' gals have EVER used a fueltruck in yer missions??? hm-hm!

Actually all the trucks and cars in OFP have pretty much ridiculously low fuel capacities as compared to their real world counterparts. I HAVE had to use fueltrucks in OFP multiplay as a result of this. It's kind of a pain in the ass when in less than an hour's drive your vehicle starts to run out of fuel.

It's not really a pain in the ass for me because most missions I play don't involve me driving a vehicle for an entire hour anyways.

I like this smaller fuel capacity idea though. smile_o.gif

Right !

Same thing is to say for respawn.

No respawn/ group side is to simple for good teamplay

We use a modified version from joergf so that only your teammate can heal you.

Scince we use that some Rambos have to wait a little bit, when they leave their group.

MCPXXL

smile_o.gif maybe I should add to my ranting that with "realism" I mean OFP-realism.

Off course a range rover or a US-car has a big fueltank but in OFP (with the small island size), I think a car should

only be able to ride through/around the largest addon-islan ONE time max.

And aircraft should only be able to take ONE flight/attack, then it has to refuel.

I've ran out of fuel in aircraft many times...and I can tell you, it's not a plesent experience. biggrin_o.gif I think some aircraft have a realistic fuel amount, but some addons, do have too much fuel.

I've ran out of fuel in aircraft many times...

wow_o.gif really? not me! I must fly some more tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

i've flown some addon aircrafts with after burners and when i turned after burner on fuel started disapearing really fast tounge_o.gif

Yeah afterburner eats fuel really fast, but if you play MP..like dogfights and stuff, the fuel will burn off fast even without the burner.

Hm, so what you say, all, in short is that there's no general need for any fuel changes?

I have thought about making sort of a "HD" version of all known vehicles;

Like the JAM-hd sodiers, we could have an "LF" vehicles pack (LF=low fuelCapacity) blues.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Methinks Skoda should make around 400km on the full fuel tank... I don't really get it why we should artificially lower the fuel capacity?... rock.gif

I have thought about making sort of a "HD" version of all known vehicles;

Like the JAM-hd sodiers, we could have an "LF" vehicles pack (LF=low fuelCapacity) blues.gif  biggrin_o.gif

please do not make addon packs for issues that can be implemented by script as well

smile_o.gif Hellöw maties and gentlemen, here's my issue:

I've always wondered why it is that people set the fuelcapatity of addons

to 120 or even more (I've seen choppers with F=250+ ) !!! crazy_o.gif

The thing is, in real world, a chopper has a short range of flight and so does fighters.

I've set all my addons to a fuelcapaity between 30 and 90 at max (few exceptions...) and I gotta tell ya,

it brings a much more interesting scenery to everything!

Also in MP, the precence of a "fuel team" is suddenly not all boring; they are your bud's that you REALLY wanna protect since loosing them can mean loosing the game!

And why can a skoda circle the island 10.000 times? whats the deal with fuel stations then?

Well, no more details or examples - ye all got the point I guess smile_o.gif

I just hope that MOD makers (especially collector-mods like Y2K3 or FFUR) will take this under concideration.

And before changing anything in such mods, I think you all should pop in yer own opinions about fuelcapacity.

Hope ye take it serious - its really a topic that bugs me (having to alter all those addons)

crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I just have one thing to say.......ITS A VIDEO GAME!!!!!!!!! tounge_o.gif

yes, but you'll soon discover us lot crave realism, some of us just like to take it that little bit to far smile_o.gif

Wrong my friend. It's a warfare simulator.

Quote[/b] ]Wrong my friend. It's a warfare simulator.

True.

For me the realism cant go to far.. Therefor I think that the skoda fuel is good biggrin_o.gif

very true

but how about we use the slider in the menu!  crazy_o.gif

if you need a mission in which you need to tank you get some gas, if you dont you put more in the tank...

Also I have this H2 addon and that thing does really drink! I had to find me a gas station on Nogova and actually ran out of gas before I could reach one!... lucky for meh I was testing on a busy  wink_o.gif  road! ppl tend to stop much easier when you are aiming a MG at them!  biggrin_o.gif  wink_o.gif

smile_o.gif if ppl say "Bah, Tomb, just slide the fuel bar if yer bored with the default fuel", then I'd have to reply:

No pal, coz then making the type o' missions I have in mind would be pretty hard!

See, then the AI would say "2 fuel low", and the AI-leader would instantly redirect the pilot/driver to

the nearest friendly fuel depot/vehicle, and the whole crap would go loco!!!

This is why I would like to have an "LF" version of most vehicles.

To me, choppers should have a default fuelcap. around 80 unclesam.gif

This would allow any mission, but after 30 min's you'd have to refuel,

and 30 min's (with ofp island size in mind) is MORE than enough for a ground attack/csar mission etc. without seeing

the pilot fly home for a refill.

Though, I mostly have human piloting in mind - I think it adds some thrill to it all if I know that

eventually I will run outta fuel. Never played a mission where I actually ran outta fuel when flying

a chopper with original fuelcapacity (addon or BIS). wow_o.gif

so youre doing this for the sake of "realism" yet you want helicopters to only stay in the air for 30 minutes....

i recall somewhere on these boards that they last in missions for around 2 hours...

an F-16's range is 3,900 km.

an apache's range is 400 km with internal fuel

a hind's range is 450 km... nogova is what, 25x25km?

got all this from fas.org

smile_o.gif  maybe I should add to my ranting that with "realism" I mean OFP-realism.

Off course a range rover or a US-car has a big fueltank but in OFP (with the small island size), I think a car should

only be able to ride through/around the largest addon-islan ONE time max.

And aircraft should only be able to take ONE flight/attack, then it has to refuel.

smile_o.gif

yes, but you'll soon discover us lot crave realism, some of us just like to take it that little bit to far smile_o.gif

True but too much realism aint much fun.

I think it's like the high dispersion on the weapons

less realistic, funnier (easier to fight against them => rambo, m60 and tactactac without being hit, it's possible to make enemy less acurate while staying realistic)

low fuel => less realistic, funnier (fuel stations are used, a big challenge to get back to base with low fuel)

take off from south west airport (nogova) in your a10 and attack in the moutains or on the other airport, how many km? 10? 4-5 passages, 4km? new orders, attack the capital, 9km? come back to the base, 8km?

31km? do you know a plane with a range of 31km?? even in full Post Combustion

same thing for the tanks, cars, helicopters...

I prefer the realism (the ai is very clever (in large range, ai in tows is and will be stupid tounge_o.gif ) if you have realistic values for camouflage, aiming etc based on real value with Mathematical Formula, missions maker have to do more realistic missions, you rarely start with 10 full magazines or with full fuel)

Most choppers have a longer than 30 min flying evelope mosts tanks have 300 mile range before refueling Including the fuel guzzling M1A1. Most of the missions I have you will run out of fuel long before the mission is completed. And require you to set up support elements to resupply and repair units in operation. Most wheeled vehicles run out of fuel in about a 30 minutes. Or less the KLR seems can only have a range of 10 miles. This stuff was built form combat and long range operation, even the worth less humvee, has a range of 270 miles on a full tank. Inf anything a lot of addons need to be corrected, most of the decent mods you have to refule fromanother unit to carry one and you start loosing vehicles the further you go till out, or steal from abandoned enemy units.. =p

HAving base nearby with A10s on it and watching them and working on them sometimes, know they will spend most of the day on a single fueling on the tanks because they are slow turbojets without afterburner abilitiy.