Sign in to follow this  
Geocider

I want to texture, but don't know how. Please?

First of all, I'm sorry for making this thread, I really didn't want to, but all my searching for info has failed. I'm probably just stupid and have overlooked something obvious, but it doesn't help me much since I'm apaprently not able seeing it anyway.

I want to retexture. That's how simple it is. I don't want to have anything to do with models. I just wanna make textures and stick them to, well for an example, the resistance BIS civilian. I have downloaded every bloody program that it seem one needs, and I have Photoshop 8.0 CS. I've even got experience of painting going back quite a long time (if that's supposed to mean anything). But it's really hard to do something if you can't find info about how you do it, right?

So: Please, please, please with cream, sugar and a bloody cherry on the top: Will someone help me? A link, a small guide, whatever!

I mean; I found ONE tutorial which covers this subject but it was old and told one to use programs that doesn't work. I've seen plenty of people in these forums complaining about that people don't do their own addons and doens't try and that there's no good info for new users, but very little info in it's self.

Damnit, I have no idea if this text makes any sence at all, but I would REALLY appreciate any help offered since the only thing I can do is actually paint the bloody textures.

And I really want to give something back to this community which has given me many fun moments with OFP.

Your's sincerely,

Felix (Geocider)

There has been a very similar discussion around here

link

Isn't that something for the editing forums?

Jens

Hi, to retexture u need lots of small programs & a program to make the textures that later on u need to convert to an OFP compatible file (= .paa or .pac for avoid lag or .jpg to lag like the universe creation).

Programs that i use:

-Photoshop 6.0 (to make or rework the textures)

-TextView (for convert .tga textures bigger than 512x512 to .paa or pac)

-Feer PaaTool 1.1 (for convert the .tga textures to .paa or .pac, smaller than 512x512)

-MakePBO 1.1 (to re-pack the opened addons)

-UnPBO 1.5 (to unpack the addons)

-WinPBO 1.0 (by ORCS, to open or re-pack the compressed/uncompressed addons sometimes)

u can find all those tools in ofp.info looking for they'r name in the search bar. That's all the help that i can bring u; i hope that u enjoy the pleasure of make the things better; let's cu.

Hi, to retexture u need lots of small programs & a program to make the textures that later on u need to convert to an OFP compatible file (= .paa or .pac for avoid lag or .jpg to lag like the universe creation).

Programs that i use:

-Photoshop 6.0 (to make or rework the textures)

-TextView (for convert .tga textures bigger than 512x512 to .paa or pac)

-Feer PaaTool 1.1 (for convert the .tga textures to .paa or .pac, smaller than 512x512)

-MakePBO 1.1 (to re-pack the opened addons)

-UnPBO 1.5 (to unpack the addons)

-WinPBO 1.0 (by ORCS, to open or re-pack the compressed/uncompressed addons sometimes)

u can find all those tools in ofp.info looking for they'r name in the search bar. That's all the help that i can bring u; i hope that u enjoy the pleasure of make the things better; let's cu.

a small correction WinPBO is by OWM (Our Weapons Mod) and has nothing to do with ORCS.

Thanks for answers but none of them help me at all. Marfy's tutorial is only about making the textures (if I understood it correct) with which I have no problem. I just want to change the original textures on a model to new ones. I guess I can't express me well enough to get any help... sad_o.gif Thanks for trying though.

Cheers

EDIT: This should be right here as this is Addon and Mods: DISCUSSION, right? Mission editing is for mission editing and this isn't about mission editing.

I would also say to forget textview... it's let me down on pretty much all textures, leaving a purple outline. I use Feer's Paatool for everything.

Edit:

Just open up the model in O2 and either remap it or change te texture paths.

No way to change textures without opening the model in O2 then? I guess I'll have to do it like that... Thanks for the tip, Jaguar.

@jens198: I have allready been in that thread and even posted, without anyone able to help me. So I made this one.

of cource u can convert the .paa or.pac texture in question to tga using TexView by opening it and going Save As>All Filetypes from the filetype popup and then dont forget to add a .tga extencion before u save, voila u can load it in PS. later u will have to tell the model in Oxygen that u r using different textures. That is done by clicking in the texture list (in 02) while holding down Shift. Once the section is selected hit E to bring up the Face properties window in which u'll have to load up your newly selected texture.

BTW my 1000'th post xmas_o.gif

Just 1 little additional question

(I know I'm being a bit lazy but this thread reminded me of a burning question I'm yet to research)

I have done a little bit of texturing using a combo of GIMP and textview and all the textures have to be sized to a factor of 2, fine for squares but what of triangles, circles etc.

Anything that saves me wasting hours trying to figure it out and points me in the right direction will be appreciated.

@Jay L.Macrae: The program you tipped about is faulty. It just say "overflow" when loading desired p3d and I have also seen other people complaining about it; saying it's not working, or even corrupting files. sad_o.gif I guess I'll have to learn O2 anyway. Thanks for all replies, even though I'm back where I was when I made this thread.

Aaha, Geocider it's good that you noticed that.

The program isn't faulty at all, it's just the format of .p3d your trying to open, there are two of them the MLOD and the binarized ODOL. This program can only open the binarized ODOL .p3d's.

There was another similar tool for MLOD .p3d files aswell.

I downloaded it from somewhere, but i can 't find a link for it anymore.

The program is called "TxtPathSwap", but even googleing doesn't give any results.

I will add to here few questions.

1. Where can i find Bis soldiers model or pbo? And textures to them (Data3d? Data?)

2. I have mad texture in photoshop and save it in Tga and converted in Paa. But it doesnt work what did i do wrong?

How can i make own textures work in WrpEditor?

3. How can i put trees/palms from unsung virtual plants pack to WrpEditor?

Please help and sorry for my bad english.

To Combat_Medic...

1. You're looking in the right direction, the models are in the Data3D.pbo and the textures are in the Data.pbo. You just have to UnPbo them.

The models are in ODOL format so you can't open them in O2. Use ODOL Explorer to save them as MLOD .p3d's and then you can open them with O2.

2. You have to give us more information.

3. WrpEditor is way over my head, get another expert on this tounge_o.gif