Sign in to follow this  
Desert-Rat

M34 "Willie Peter" Grenade

I started the M34 "Willie Peter" Grenade yesturday

The 3d file is ready and textured

I need some help:

I want to make it as smoke grenade , but the smoke should kill Soldiers and let them burn.

Can someone help me there?

I hope you suceed with this but unfortunately I know next to nothing about scripting.

you could try using a reduced napalm though I believe smoke and lots of burning fragments is what your really after.

good luck

I know the DSF scud has a working chem warhead that might do the trick.

Dont know about the burning tho.

And I thought WP burned more like an acid or small intense flames rather than big fire like from napalm. But I dunno.

This was a White Phosphor grenade and as you say has small flames , I only wanna make that the smoke kills Soldiers and they burn , because if the grenade explode you don't see fire , only white dust wink_o.gif

Ok so you dont want the victims to catch on fire like from a molotov coctail nade?

If not it shouldnt be that hard to implement that DSF chem script into the nade.

I want if the grenade explode that it have the same like a smokegrenade but that the soldiers burn without you see fire in the grenade explosion only the soldiers should burn and die quickly wink_o.gifwink_o.gif

Did he borrow any of your work? rock.gif

I really like the idea of a WP, love the 'nam era, would make a nice edition to ofp nam players. Maybe PM a scripter such as general barron or someone like that wink_o.gif

No I didn't borrow anything , but need still some help with scripting and config wink_o.gif

M34Grnd.JPG

Chain of Command was also using WP shells in their Unified Artillery, beta version. Maybe you can contact one of the CoC team and ask about borrowing their WP effects for a new grenade addon?

Since the newer UA version is still not released to the public yet, there might be a couple reasons they decline. But I have tested out that shell many times, and it's great. It's worth a shot, they might just say yes.  smile_o.gif

And I thought WP burned more like an acid or small intense flames rather than big fire like from napalm.

This is sort of true, in that it's not a large flame. White Phosphorus is a chemical that ignites in the open air, and produces an intense amount of thick white smoke (phosphorus pentoxide). WP burns at such an intense heat that it's like molten metal, not really a flame. It can start fires though, which is why the WP shells and grenades are also used at times for inciendary effect. It's very difficult to put out, the only ways to extinguish the WP are to soak it which prevents reaction and ignition from the air.

So for any kind of WP grenade or shell addon, you would not really use any flame effect, just smoke. But the smoke will not be the same as a standard smoke shell either. The smoke grenades used in the game right now are closer to the HC (Hexachloroethane) smoke grenades, such as the AN-M8 style. This type of smoke tends stick to the ground longer, while the WP smoke tends to up faster. The WP artillery shells in the CoC UA beta demonstrate this ability, and you might want to add it to your addon if possible. I personally dislike the smoke grenades in OFP right now, as they start to smoke almost immediately after throwing them. I would like to see the smoke grenade hit the ground first, and start after a short delay like the real fuze. The effects of the WP grenade should also be similar to how CoC did their shells. Not instant death, but similar to when you are too close to a burning vehicle. An idea for your grenade is that you start to lose health gradually, while hearing and seeing a warning. An example is when you are being injured by the WP burst, your group chat says "I'm getting burned!" and you hear a scream. A problem I see with using the scripts from the DSF Scud is that the injury effects are for anyone entering the smoke. With a WP grenade, you are only injured if too close to the initial blast, but entering the smoke afterwards will do nothing. Ok, you will suffer from certain risks due to the inhalation, but that is getting too far.

If you have any further questions about this topic, just keep posting here. I'm sure that I or one of the other prior military that have used these grenades can provide more info. And just for fun, check this out. This should provide some extra help for making the model and textures of the M34 model.   wink_o.gif

EDIT: Thought I'd also add some general info about the M34 in case someone reading this is unfamiliar with it.

About the M34 WP Smoke Grenade:

Body - The M34 WP grenade body is compressed fiber or plastic sphere.

• Filler - The filler has 15 ounces of white phosphorous.

• Fuse - The fuse is an M206A2.

• Weight - The grenade weighs 27 ounces.

• Capabilities - The average soldier can throw the grenade 30 meters. The grenade has a bursting radius of 35 meters. All friendly personnel within this 35-meter area should be in a covered position to avoid being struck by burning particles. The WP filler burns for about 60 seconds at a temperature of 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit. This intense heat causes the smoke produced by the grenade to rise rapidly, especially in cool climates, making the M34 grenade less desirable for use as a screening agent.

• Color and Markings - Under the old ammunition color-coding system, the white phosphorous grenade is light gray with a single yellow band and yellow markings. Under the new standard color-coding system, the M34 grenade is light green with a single yellow band and light red markings.

From this site i have the idea of making it ;)

White Phosphor grenades aren't in use anymore

Sorry to drag up the old thread, but.

This looks cool.

I wasn't insinuating that you had borrowed any of our code, just asking that if you were to do so...

It does sound like it could be quite cool.

I've just had visions of kludging the OFP smoke grenade and the chemical script.

That's a 'nade to be afraid of!