honchoblack

Dynamic Afghanistan

I liked so much I wished I was with Portuguese Comandos in Afghanistan.

Maybe next year wink_o.gif

Thank you Murmur2k, I hope you understand now why I tried to keep my mouth shut wink_o.gif

oh Honcho - forgot to ask, how is the British version of Afghan coming or is that not planned for release now? Quite understand if it isn't

no not on the todo list for the the time being, I will focus on the Bleed for Oil mission for now, since the oil theme has alot of unexploited possibilities I would like to use.

Just check those oil tankers that come along the Mapfact oil addon, great stuff for missions.

Also the 2 army bases on the Libya map got me thinking about a civil war theme about oil.

And I got another mission in the works for the Libya map, so conversions are on hold. I am looking forward on making new stuff. smile_o.gif

Hello!

What a weekend! Thought I had all the addons required for Dynamic Afghanistan v1.3 but had misplaced / forgotten Sigmas Old Truck (No internet at home - download everything at work). The mission acknowledges that the old truck is missing, then plays the outro (presume its the losing one as the rebels shoot some people) before THE END is shown.

Dont know coding, but just wondered if there was anyway to prevent the outro playing when there is an addon error?

Actually, now that i've written it down, its not really that big an issue. Hope to play DA tonight!

Quote[/b] ]Dont know coding, but just wondered if there was anyway to prevent the outro playing when there is an addon error?

I havent found a way to avoid it, since its the OFP engine behaviour. I dont like it either, since its a spoiler, but unfortunatly I believe its out of my control wink_o.gif

First off, I love your dynamic missions. I've found myself playing OFP much more than before now (Damn you! I've just started studies again! mad_o.gif ) but I have a couple of questions/bug reports...

Both in Bleed for Oil, and Dynawar West, for the battle support missions you get from the SAS/Special Forces, it's always at the same location on both maps; way down South East (and in Dynawar West, this is in the middle of the sea confused_o.gif ) and the marker and writing is in white so it's near impossible to read what it says.

In Dynamic Afghanistan (VDV version), I seem to be getting the same 2 missions all the time, Patrol and Raid. In the Patrol missions, what I come across are a pair of either a Toyota Hilux and GMC, or a GMC and T-55. They are always empty and when I get near them, I get mission complete. Also, at the start of missions, I get a long-ish scripting error message along the top of the screen, something about JJR rebels and 0 found, expected 3, like, I think a whole bunch of rebels aren't being created at every mission start confused_o.gif

Also, when I start Dynamic Afghanistan DF, I get a missing addon error regarding something like RebelLeaderCCO or something, sorry I haven't got a screenshot confused_o.gif

First off, I love your dynamic missions. I've found myself playing OFP much more than before now (Damn you! I've just started studies again! mad_o.gif ) but I have a couple of questions/bug reports...

Both in Bleed for Oil, and Dynawar West, for the battle support missions you get from the SAS/Special Forces, it's always at the same location on both maps; way down South East (and in Dynawar West, this is in the middle of the sea confused_o.gif ) and the marker and writing is in white so it's near impossible to read what it says.

You have not understood the "free missions" concept.

Once you get one from the blackops/specialforces, and after the battle orientation selection from the dialog menu, you will be told to click on the map for insertion.

So click on the map where you want to be inserted , the free mission will be where you will be inserted.

So technically, you can have the free mission taking place anywhere on the island.

Disregard the "free mission" markers, they are only used for scripts.

First off, I love your dynamic missions. I've found myself playing OFP much more than before now (Damn you! I've just started studies again!  mad_o.gif ) but I have a couple of questions/bug reports...

Both in Bleed for Oil, and Dynawar West, for the battle support missions you get from the SAS/Special Forces, it's always at the same location on both maps; way down South East (and in Dynawar West, this is in the middle of the sea  confused_o.gif ) and the marker and writing is in white so it's near impossible to read what it says.

You have not understood the "free missions" concept.

Once you get one from the blackops/specialforces, and after the battle orientation selection from the dialog menu, you will be told to click on the map for insertion.

So click on the map where you want to be inserted , the free mission will be where you will be inserted.

So technically, you can have the free mission taking place anywhere on the island.

Disregard the "free mission" markers, they are only used for scripts.

Another instruction needs to be given to the player regarding missions near water. Not only do they need to select an orientation that matches the shoreline, but they also need to select an insertion point at some minimum distance in from the shore. In Bleed for Oil, I did a free mission, selected East-West orientation and put an insertion point several hundred meters in from the coast near some abandoned buildings. The Merlin proceeded to the jump as normal, but pulled up and over the ocean as the squad was dropped in succession. Only myself and two AI landed on dry ground.

The only way I can see around this limitation is either changing the insertion to landing/fast rope, or dropping the entire squad all at once.

Actually, there is a warning before you click on the map to select your insertion zone.

It is even like this in the script in the SP template.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hint "WARNING, you must not click near the beaches and the coasts, doing this can put the army side spawn zones in the sea, making the free mission uninteresting"

; consider you are now in free mission and will launch the insertion script

Unless Honchoblack removed the hint in Bleed for Oil, it should be clear enough that someone clicking near the coast will more likely ruin his own fun.

Actually, there is a warning before you click on the map to select your insertion zone.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hint "WARNING, you must not click near the beaches and the coasts, doing this can put the army side spawn zones in the sea, making the free mission uninteresting"

Unless Honchoblack removed the hint in Bleed for Oil, it should be clear enough that someone clicking near the coast will more likely ruin his own fun.

Ah, I thought this hint was regarding the orientation selection if playing near the coasts. Well, in the example I gave, the enemy spawn was fine, just my guys got dropped in the drink away from the fighting area. I will just stay away from water on free missions in Lybia. Not really a concern for Afghanistan

Hello all,

I have just finished playing Dynamic Afghanistan after 4 h of gaming, and I feel obligated to say: excellent work! Especially in combination with ECP. What atmosphere! I just wish the Russian voice comms pack would be released soon; immersion would be complete then:)

Just one question, one which has certainly been asked before (can't be arsed to read 33+ pages of posts though;)): is DA MP compatible? I believe I've seen a few mentions of it being SP only when I scanned the contents of the posts; if this is true, are there any plans of making DA MP compatible? Is that possible at all? Would be great fun to play it with some friends...

Regards,

X.

thank you for your nice comments, Xawery smile_o.gif

Dynamic Afghanistan has no MP functionality, but Hermano converted Dynamic Afghanistan 1.2b to MP, you can find his thread here:DAMP

If you are interested to make a own dynamic mission for MP then I would suggest to use the Coin Coop Engine from my partner in the DMA, Tacrod. Get it here:DMA COIN COOP ENGINE

Ah, I thought this hint was regarding the orientation selection if playing near the coasts. Well, in the example I gave, the enemy spawn was fine, just my guys got dropped in the drink away from the fighting area. I will just stay away from water on free missions in Lybia. Not really a concern for Afghanistan

You are right, the Bleed free mission concept, which is based entirely on Sanctuarys work in the Dynamic War SP template doesnt have any detection regarding water. And if the insertion is picked to close to the coast, the paras might get driffted to the open sea. I had it hapen during the normal missions also, when the insertion is picked close to the coast. I will see to implement the ground insertion for the next update, to allow the player to insert close to the coast, without running into the risk of drifting into the water. I really like the drift though, its quite realistic and numerous paras have found an end in the dreaded sea. Its up to you to pick a safe insertion spot for now, taking the drifting of the wind in account wink_o.gif

DAv1.3

Went to rest but was told that I hadn't finished the mission yet! Went to see the bloke who told me well done or something, but the text was obscured by the previous text. I'll remember to finish the mission next time!

Went to rescue a couple of pilots in a 'downed' chopper. Got reasonably close to the site when I was told that both the pilot and co-pilot had been killed. Maybe I have to be more stealthy next time?!?

I pushed on anyway, shooting everything in the way. Found the chopper was in-fact intact and perfectly flyable so I flew home with the boys with it. I only mention it as im sure the fact it was flyable contradicted something in the mission statement. I could be mistaken.

More playing tonight! (Will be downloading Libya when I get a chance)

Quote[/b] ]I'll remember to finish the mission next time!

Yes indeed its needed to sign a mission out at the CO or by radio, else the mission will not be looked at as complete.

Quote[/b] ]Went to rescue a couple of pilots in a 'downed' chopper. Got reasonably close to the site when I was told that both the pilot and co-pilot had been killed. Maybe I have to be more stealthy next time?!?

The key to accomplishing the helo down missions is speed, the helo is shot down by an angry mob of terrorists, and they are on the way to the crashsite. No need for stealth, fly in there, or get inserted as fast as possible, dont loose any time at base, and the pilots might make it.

Quote[/b] ]Found the chopper was in-fact intact and perfectly flyable so I flew home with the boys with it. I only mention it as im sure the fact it was flyable contradicted something in the mission statement. I could be mistaken.

I thought I let all the fuel drain out of the helicopter, but it seems that I forgot. Thank you for reminding me of the fact wink_o.gif

In Dynamic Afghanistan (VDV version), I seem to be getting the same 2 missions all the time, Patrol and Raid. In the Patrol missions, what I come across are a pair of either a Toyota Hilux and GMC, or a GMC and T-55. They are always empty and when I get near them, I get mission complete. Also, at the start of missions, I get a long-ish scripting error message along the top of the screen, something about JJR rebels and 0 found, expected 3, like, I think a whole bunch of rebels aren't being created at every mission start confused_o.gif

Also, when I start Dynamic Afghanistan DF, I get a missing addon error regarding something like RebelLeaderCCO or something, sorry I haven't got a screenshot confused_o.gif

Anyone?

whistle.gif

Thanks, i'll give that a try, although I am using the version which is linked in the DA thread confused_o.gif

Let's hope this sorts it out, cos I really love this set of missions. Totally re-ignited my love for OFP inlove.gifnotworthy.gif

Sorry, I overread your question, but what Bunkerslusken wrote is true wink_o.gif

I checked the first post and you are right also, since I linked the old version of the GMER, those are version 1.0, will fix that right now.

Use the link Bunkerslusken was so kind to provide, and you wont have the error messages occur anymore, sorry for the inconvenience smile_o.gif

You are right, the Bleed free mission concept, which is based entirely on Sanctuarys work in the Dynamic War SP template doesnt have any detection regarding water.  And if the insertion is picked to close to the coast, the paras might get driffted to the open sea.  I had it hapen during the normal missions also, when the insertion is picked close to the coast.  I will see to implement the ground insertion for the next update, to allow the player to insert close to the coast, without running into the risk of drifting into the water.  I really like the drift though, its quite realistic and numerous paras have found an end in the dreaded sea.  Its up to you to pick a safe insertion spot for now, taking the drifting of the wind in account wink_o.gif

honcho + sanctuary: I apologize. A hint does display saying not to pick an insertion zone close to the beach. It just displays very briefly immediately after the orientation hint and in the same place on the screen. I just didn't notice it before, thinking it was still the same hint.

Regarding paradrop versus helo insertion, I would like to see it as an option for many of the missions. The near-water restriction is an obvious problem that has both realistic and unrealistic implications (yes, many a para has been dropped in the drink, but then would paras been inserted into a coastal oil facility by parachute in 2005?).

I can see both sides to this, and I would hope the paradrop option is retained. What would be ideal is if there were tactical implications for either choice. Perhaps a helo insertion would put you right where you want to be, but enemies in the area would be at a higher alert level, while paradrop would scatter your squad, but enemies encountered during this vulnerable period would be less alert.

In general, the more ways that the same mission goal can be approached, the better. I think that freedom is what makes this concept behind the campaign so great. Down those lines, what do you think about adding a small dock just north of the UK base (connected by a trail/road) with some boats available to be used by the player to approach shoreline objectives from the sea side in addition to by land or air. A rigid-inflatable or inflatable boat add-on would be ideal, but BIS patrol boats could be used just as easily. Just the option would be cool, but once again added tactical implications would be even better (e.g. shoreline facilities could be more lightly defended to seaward, but if you are detected your unit is far more vulnerable in a boat).

Just some ideas, but I may be going beyond the capabilities of the DM system.