honchoblack

Dynamic Afghanistan

cornhelium -

thanx and cheers mate smile_o.gif

wheres my rabbit ? -

hope it doesnt keep you from working the GMER 1.2 tounge_o.gif

GAZ NZ -

valid points, you propose, i will go through them one by one smile_o.gif

1. definatly too much vodka tounge_o.gif , good thing you just keept on going, as you discovered right, the rest function resets everything

2. Afghanistan Revisited 1.2 is been integrated in the next update, the mission locations have been reworked, to fit the new surrounding, still need to work the new gadgets in, i am not shure if they make it into the next update though, i will implement them on the long run for shure smile_o.gif

3. a setup at the start where u give weapons, have been requested quite often, so i guess i wont get arround inserting this as well, but as i said above, i am not shure if it will be in the next update already, since my main attention at the moment, is to get to spawn units with minimum lag, without the use of a blackscreen, the testing of this is very timeconsuming, so any other changes are on hold because of this goal wink_o.gif

4. ALso you are missing flare guns, smoke grenades, ground marker grenades etc, snachel charges etc as options for guys to carry. another valid point by you, since i reworked the ammocrates, i can quickly "throw" tounge_o.gif them in, i guess for the next update allready wink_o.gif

5. about the point with modern gear, i always (from the beginning of making this mission) liked the idea, to use all of orcs weapons, but stuffing them all into one ammocrate was not really the best approach, this produced a bug, once the mission gets played for a couple of days gametime, and the selection of a specific weapon is not easy, in the next update the weapons are split into different ammocrates, joining weapons of same nature logically, for a quick weapon selection ingame wink_o.gif

6. since i split the weapons, i give 3 of any kind now, with 30 mags of each weapon, these crates get updated after each mission and each rest

long question = long answer tounge_o.gif

i would have to disagree with gaz about the modern weapons. i tend to grab a ak-47 with the pbs-1 and go. i like the 7.62 over the 5.45 in the game. and thats all i have to say about that

Good stuff Honcho

As for taking basic AKs - there good for a bit of a blast - but in the setting with all the effort Moscow is putting into this the troops would be using scoped weapons - and be well equiped

as the new AK series is pretty much all scoped unless its for a direct assault or Specila forces assault weapons

and if i was a new russian federation soldier id want one

especially a recoilless AK 109 with optics or a slightly lesser lesser series Ak 108 or so

kind of depends on the mission and terrain what you want to use weapons wise

Optics are good especially if there are a number of enemy snipers or you are in engagements in open terrain over long distances

AK iron sights are good fun close up though in built up areas

so some basic AKs are definatley needed

But yeah Honcho your throwing in of all weapons possible in the crate makes the crates overloaded me thinks

like the AT launchers - there is every model you can get in there

maybe drop it to one or 2?

And lessen the gun selection possibly

Also how hard is it to get SU27 bombing runs going?

On the lag area maybe take out some of the vehicles on the basesome of them may or may not really be needed

might speed the game up getting rid of some excess vehicles

and on a final note I wonder if ECP when it comes out will interfere with the scripts or help you with all this and your other ideas

GAZ NZ -

another round of valid thoughts smile_o.gif

you are right, as a new russian federation soldier i wouldnt go for anything less, and since the engagements in Afghanistan are over long ranges most of the time, i will change the starting loadout, to better reflect the special forces nature of the VDV

the ammocrates of the next version are not crowded anymore, i use 6 ammocrates, splitting the weapons in categorys like sniper, suppressed, rpg, assault rifle, gpl and machineguns, its quite tidy, and weapon selection is fast and easy once you know which crates contains which weapon

i am sorry, but i wont change the gun availability, as i pointed out before, i like the idea of using "all" of orcs fine weapons, i hope the new weapon seperation divided into many ammorcrates meets your needs for a faster weapon selection smile_o.gif

the Su-25 bombing runs i am working on at the moment, but they tend to have the same problems as the Hokum with the hilly terrain, most of the time the planes crash into the mountains, at least one out of three, so if i dont get the flight behaviour fixed, i dont think it will make it into the update sad_o.gif

i kind of like the base vehicles, makes the base seem more alive, but i might get rid of the hospital soldiers and medic bmp, since i got resuply and heal options by using the rest function

i do get error messages with the FFxUR mod, since i assign actions to the player as the mod seems to do, they produce an errorcode but the mission can be played nonetheless, i think it will be the same with the updated ECP, but doesnt have to be neccesarily

another long answer, for another long question tounge_o.gif

....the Su-25 bombing runs i am working on at the moment, but they tend to have the same problems as the Hokum with the hilly terrain, most of the time the planes crash into the mountains, at least one out of three, so if i dont get the flight behaviour fixed, i dont think it will make it into the update sad_o.gif ....

Are you recreating the support scripts? (CAS, Arty, etc.) Have you ever used Snypers support script system? You might want to look at this, as it covers all this stuff very well, is modular, and easily customizable. His CAS keep the planes at a reasonable altitide so they don't come diving it to bomb something. It might even let the Rebels have a mortar barrage or 2 wink_o.gif .

Just a thought.

noundo -

thank you for the info, i will take a look at those scripts smile_o.gif

Great work guys!

Is it me, or do many of the required addon links point to the wrong addons?

From the Readme:

"JAM2 from BAS (needed by the Afghan Rebels)

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=8018"

Actually points to Updated Afganistan Rebels.

"VDV20 from Laser (the icp weaponpack included in the vdv download is outdated, load the one below instead)

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=6363 (weapon pack on site outdated!)"

Actually points to RF Airborne Troops Pack & ICP weaponpack v 2.0.

Could you please fix them? Thanks.

Jamm0r -

thanks smile_o.gif

the links are allright, look at the bottom of the Updated Generic Middle East Rebell site, there is the link to the Bas Jam2 wink_o.gif

the laser airborne troops are the Laser VDV (the pbo is called LSR_vdv.pbo), sorry that is unclear, but i will change the link accordingly, but remember that the weapons pack is outdated, still need to load the uptodate pack from Orcs wink_o.gif

I have one question regarding this mission. What is the era of events that occure on this mission? I ask, because if it is Soviet invasion era then there shouldn't be KA-50 as support helicopter and what is more important, portable sams shouldn't be as deadly as they are now.But if the mission happens durring modern times then helis should be equiped with flare launcher scripts and Afghans should have more Strielas than Stingers. This is what annoys me most.

FireflyPL -

Quote[/b] ]

The land is in a state of constant chaos since the withdrawal of the Coalition Forces.

so its modern times wink_o.gif but i wasnt aware of the more Strielas than Stingers

nowadays, but its no problem to insert them

about the flares for the helicopters, sshhhhh dont want to tell all changes of the

next update in advance, but you are right about the point of course smile_o.gif

so its modern times  wink_o.gif  but i wasnt aware of the more Strielas than Stingers

nowadays, but its no problem to insert them

about the flares for the helicopters, sshhhhh dont want to tell all changes of the

next update in advance, but you are right about the point of course  smile_o.gif

wink_o.gif Yes there are more Strielas because they are easier to buy. Old Stingers from 80s are out of service and I doubt that if there are any left, they would hit anything after so long time being in box smile_o.gif

Point taken, so thanks to military advise by FireflyPL Strielas will be the weapon of choice for the Terrorist in the next update smile_o.gif

Since my Picture host went down in the middle of the month already i decided to upload all released Dynamic Afghanistan pictures in the thread, for new users who need screenshots to decide if the mission is worth downloading, the rar contains 72 released and not released pictures, and is a 6.7mb file 10 times as big as the mission itself (without the addons), so you might as well load and test the mission and see for yourself tounge_o.gif

Dynamic Afghanistan 1.0-1.2 Mission ScreenShots

Hello people.

thank you for this interesting map and Coin.

I'm enjoying the map a lot, the textures and detalils seem 'just right', love the placenames.

As an attempt to really putting Coin to work, it's good, isnt it. I'm finding the replay aspect a little predictable and the new controls a bit quirky for a newbie like me, but definitely a winner. The predictability isn't in the randomness of which mission, but rather the now boring, setpiece manouvers to get to the next mission. This becomes tiresome.

As far as the map is concerned: a niggle. It's far too big. It's a tough one to map-navigate with. The ofp design doesn't cater for it at all well, a basic shrink, and hope you can move that far, stuff.

Perhaps (and I hope) the next mission class will restrict itself to a section of the entire map.

freda -

interesting observation, but leads to the idea to reduce the amounts of returning to base, but instead get flown to the next hotzone, after a short rest infield, but only if you dont lose your radio operator smile_o.gif

about the usage of the map, i will use the entire map for every version that follows, but i will see to fill the length of the insertion with events, to let the player decide, if he wants to engage a minor target while being inserted wink_o.gif

but these ideas wont make it into the next update, but it has been on my worklist, fighting lag and getting my support complete were mayor goals for the next update

Thanks for the answers and for making this better

Back in relation to the SU27 use

Honcho maybe you could use su27 runs only on areas that are easily bombed - with a straight run and without hills too close

ie set spawn points for each specific mission based on mission location and hills proximity kind of like above setting it up for a straight run

it may vary for each mission

or you could just leave it lol

Hills i guess makes things hard for AI

Edit1:

There should be some stingers BTW there are still around 2000 stingers floating around apparently or were when i heard the figures in the mid 90s

Or u can go totally russian

Edit2:

Reading more - maybe there should be groups of rebels etc patroling around or waiting to ambush armoured groups

and could it be possible to call armoured support ?

GAZ NZ -

thank you for the input, but i think you should use the edit button to the upper right smile_o.gif

your suggestion would aquire more set spawnpoints, which i cant afford anymore (the 64 groups per side rule, thanks Sanctuary wink_o.gif ), and the fixed character wouldnt fit the mission, and it would be a hell of a job to define all the flat grounds for airattacks crazy_o.gif

but i am happy to report, that i got the issue fixed, AirAttacks will be part of the next update, attacks possible anywhere on the island wink_o.gif

roaming rebels are planed, as alternative mission objectives, but wont make it into the next update

i wont insert any armoured support, i got all my ten radio slots filled with support for the next update, and i think a country big and hilly as afghanistan cant be ruled with the armour, but with air superiority in addition with infantry tactics wink_o.gif

There should be some stingers BTW there are still around 2000 stingers floating around apparently or were when i heard the figures in the mid 90s

Or u can go totally russian

No, these were estimates in early 90s. Now all the stingers from 80s are probably out of service due to lack of maintainance and poor storing conditions. Its not possible for such delicate equipment to survive 20 years in extreamally poor storing conditions of Afghanistan.

Thanks Firefly for that info - i wondered about them thar stingers that were sold off to those tribesmen and there goats

While on topic of russian forces and there equipment - I thought u all might find this interesting also

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/2002/snipers.pdf

BTW Honcho thanks for making such a great mission and listening to our comments - cant wait to play ya revamped map.

GAZ NZ -

a very interesting read, i really enjoyed the insight on sniper tradition in the Red Army,

considering the subject i can recommend watching the movie: Enemy at the Gates. A

film about the widely circulated tale of the duel to the death between Senior Sergeant

Zaitsev and Major Koenig in the ruins of Stalingrad. Very good movie wink_o.gif

considering Dynamic Afghanistan, i use one svd support soldier inbeded into a heavy

weapons squad, and a seperate sniper crew consisting of a spotter with an ak74mo

and a sniper, equiped with an svds.

these squads can be deployed in advanced mode, e.g. using the command Deploy troop 3

you can set the sniper/scout team into the field, the will stay and guard the area, untill

called back into the main unit smile_o.gif

EDIT:

i read the article further, and its interesting, that the chechen rebels use the same structure

as i implemented for the next update

1X4men assault team (Radiooperator, Grenadier, Medic, RPGSoldier)

1X5men heavy weapon squad (Autorifleman, Grenadier, SVDSoldier, Support, RPGSoldier)

1X2men sniper team, (Sniper, Spotter)

sturcture of teams of the next update by coincidence (or the logical way to split a squad up

into firegroups?) the same as the chechen rebels used in the chechen war

to see how the chechen rebels split up their squads read the text below taken from the article

GAZ NZ posted above.

Quote[/b] ]

Some of the Chechens and their allies who were armed with SVDs deployed as actual snipers,

while others joined three- or four-man fighting cells consisting of an RPG gunner, a machinegunner

and an SVD marksman, and perhaps an ammu-nition bearer armed with a Kalashnikov assault

rifle. These cells were quite effective as antiarmor hunter-killer teams. The SVD and machinegun

fire would pin down supporting infantry while the RPG would engage the ar-mored vehicle. Often

four or five cells would work together against a single armored vehicle.

Did I miss something in the readme or what? I got that objective where you have to check out the crash site of a chopper in the hills... I killed all rebels, got to the crash site and it told me to call medevac. I did that but nothing happens... am I doing something wrong or what?

But overally it's a very good dynamic mission smile_o.gif

Nilz -

did you call the medevachelicopter with a click on the map?

if so, the medevac helicopter is picking up the dead squadmembers and the downed pilots

(shown by a blackscreen), once they are picked up, the mission is succeded, and you can

extract back to base

check the status function, once the medevachelicopter left

Ive already seen Enemy at the gates Honcho.

Thanks for the tip though.

While its an entertaining movie alot of bits are painful to watch to WW2 buffs like myself who know the history of the Eastern Front and old Stalingrad.

Some poorly made bits in there.

Im curently hanging out for the IWO JIMA movie by Steven Spielburg in production and hopefully finished soon.

I wonder what private they will be saving now?

As a note about me I play on the Warfare HQ ladder in Combat Mission CMAK and CMBB im one of the top ranked and know my WW2 equipment and stuff smile_o.gif especially snipers.

As a result i do alot of RL shooting and I I shoot F Class Rifles here in New Zealand - I came 3rd in the nationals - i got 4 medals - 300, 600, 1000 yards and 3rd aggregate overall in .223 / .308 class.

Thats where my interest in Optics and snipers comes from in relation to this mission as I shoot in RL.

The guy who made my rifle and another local guy at my club had the SAS at the local club before there last deployment to Iraq shooting .50 cals or SASR which is the new name for them.

As they are experienced long distance shooters and the SAS I think needed some additional training.

The F Class cup - world champ cup is called the Wimbleton Cup.

Thats shot at 1000 yards.

Thats what im working towards.

BTW That article link i posted was a very short and brief but good read on how the Russian army fights today and im glad you enjoyed it and have used it

Well you figured it out prior me thinks in relation to the squad teams etc.

Good stuff - all i want is to help make missions more real.

If I find any more useful info ill post it up.

Also one question - is the Co Op aspect possible or the does the scripts not handle that well?

GAZ NZ please don't make three posts one after another in the space of only a few minutes, if you make a post then wish to add something else edit your previous post smile_o.gif

Honcho.

If your having bandwidth problems i could always host some of the files for you. The Pub has a boatload of bandwidth available.