Sign in to follow this  
DracoPaladore

Gothic 2

I'm looking at the game and see some good reviews, but I always second guess them as it could be a sort of first impression look at the game itself (considering also reviewers spend as much time as they can just getting the game done quickly to write).

Just wondering if it's any good. I looked for a demo, but unfortunatly the only one avaliable at all is in German.

I'm looking at the game and see some good reviews, but I always second guess them as it could be a sort of first impression look at the game itself (considering also reviewers spend as much time as they can just getting the game done quickly to write).

Just wondering if it's any good. I looked for a demo, but unfortunatly the only one avaliable at all is in German.

It's very, very good. If you can get your hands on it, then play it. It's got a good story, nice graphics and a great atmosphere. It's not as vast as the Morrowind world, but it's has much more a feeling of a living world. Unfortunately they never got around to translate the great expansion ('Die Nacht der Raben') for the english community (problems with the english pubvlisher if I remember correctly).

if you haven't played the first part it might also be a good idea to play that, too. Not nescessary for the story, but it was also a very good game - and the second part is a continuation of the story and you revisit some parts from the first game, meeting some old friends/enemies.

I love the atmosphear of the game but hate the combat/camera system

G2 is really great game with the great story and atmosphere:) I´m looking forward to Gothic 3 smile_o.gif

I'm going to give the Gothic 1 demo a try,

are they both similar to eachother so that trying the demo would be close to Gothic 2?

this is one of those role playing games that has a real atmosphere. it is very addictive and sucks you in.

however the graphics are at first a bit dated. but after an hour or so you no longer notice it.

Buy it if you can. smile_o.gif

Gothic I isn't as good looking as the second part, but the story is good, too. Just give it a try.

Gothic 2 is an awesome game, my favourite RPG easily, get it you won't regret it smile_o.gif

It's a pitty that the addon isn't available on the outer german market. With it (Die Nacht des Raben/The Night of the Raven), there is more landscape to discover and you meet many other characters from part 1 again.

For example there's a new pirat camp and when I first visited it it was night and the moon was shining and the clear water and I had nice music in the background... really really nice, never played a game with such a great athmosphere!

Anyway, buy Gothic 2, it's great smile_o.gif

The Night of the Raven is coming out eventually in other languages though isn't it?

For example there's a new pirat camp and when I first visited it it was night and the moon was shining and the clear water and I had nice music in the background... really really nice, never played a game with such a great athmosphere!

I think the swamp camp and the aztek-style temples in the addon were among the best landscape in Gothic II (the pirates on the other hand were just plain funny).

Edit: @Placebo: I wouldn't put any bets out for it as Piranha Bytes are about to release Gothic III by the end of this year or beginning of next year. I think there's a mod project out there that is creating a translation (would require you to get the german addon to use), but I don't know wether they have released anything yet.

The Night of the Raven is coming out eventually in other languages though isn't it?

I´m fail to find other version of TNotR then German one sad_o.gif

Ahh I knew they were taking a long time, guess they figured it's cheaper to just give up and release number III, I don't mind I'm looking forward to that greatly smile_o.gif

Especially this page - it explains how to get a working english addon! Seems the mod I was talking about actually managed to translate it properly! smile_o.gif

"Follow these steps to get a fully translated add-on:"

I take it that means fully translated text not speech as well?

"Follow these steps to get a fully translated add-on:"

I take it that means fully translated text not speech as well?

Probably... haven't checked it myself as I played the addon in german.

More news: the Gothic 3 teaser website has opened - showing some first screenshots and offering forums with some details on the promising Gothic II successor.

Nice scavengers, eh?

http://www.gothic3.com/_images/screenshots/pcgames_01.jpg

Orc fighting a scavenger:

http://www.gothic3.com/_images/screenshots/pcgames_02.jpg

Edit: Bugger - small images but still over 100kb...

Those games are getting dangerous, seriously!

The higher the details, the more realistic the characters, the greater the world the more will one be stuck in this world. Players will go home, close the shutter and play till late at night. That might realy cause isolation!  ghostface.gif

All this discussion about ego-shooters and the risk of increased agression is, in my eyes, less important. I think isolation and waste of time is much more of a risk!

When the Sims came they thought the kids would act like the sims and go to the bathroom when they did etc. lol. There will always be wackos but 99% do fine and will do fine.