Sign in to follow this  
5133p39

Serial killer - by City Cobra.

Do you know the "Find the Serialkiller v2.00=- by [City Cobra]" multiplayer mission?

...for those who doesn't know:

there are cops and the serial killer - his task is to kill as many people as he could before he is hunted down by the police.

You can see markers on the map, which shows you where the civilians are - when some marker disappears, it's probably because the civilian has been killed.

When there is someone killed, it also tells the cops where the event took place (actually it shows only from which village the killed unit was originated - so the killer can also take hostages and order them to move to somewhere else to mystify the cops).

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have borrowed the general idea and made new serialkiller-type MP mission from scratch, with following features:

It is placed on the last version of Map Fact Nogova - which is packed with many useful buildings and best suited my needs.

1. Every police vehicle is equipped with radio which you must have turned on to receive messages about what is happening (who was killed and where). If you leave your vehicle and move too far away from it, you won't hear the radio messages so you need to stick close to it.

2. The radio won't work without a dispatcher - which is a civilian unit placed in 'radio office' in the main police station. If this unit is killed, there will be no more radio messages until it is replaced by some other unit (for now one of the players must take this burden and sit in the tower - but it's really boring, so i am thinking about allowing them to take any civilian on the island, and place him there).

3. In the east part of the island (to the left from the Davle), the radio messages depends on an antenna near Lipany, which extends the reach of the radio signal.

When this antenna is destroyed, radio in any vehicle on this part of island is silent.

Cops can repair the antenna with the help of the repair truck (if the killer hasn't destroyed them all before). Repairing tooks 8 - 10 minutes. After the antenna is repaired, it cannot be destroyed again (it can, but it won't silence the police radios anymore).

4. Every police vehicle is lockable/unlockable only by cops.

This is important, because if the serialkiller seizes an unlocked vehicle, he can see the cops on the map, so he can avoid them!

5. There are some rules to which the cops must stick to:

a.) they couldn't unlock (and use) helicopters until 3 people (civils or cops) are killed (counting only those who are shot by any of the serialkillers).

b.) the same way they aren't authorized to use heavy vehicles (BRDM) or nonstandard weapons (Sniper rifles, grenades) until 6 of the cops are killed (counting only those who are shot by any of the serialkillers).

6. There can be as much as 3 cooperating serial killers (can be more, but then the police have no chance).

The cops won the game, when all killers are dead.

The killers won the game when all marked units are dead.

7. Killers can move throughout the island in any vehicle they finds. Vehicles are scattered all over the island, but only in villages.

There are also buses which can be used (they are just driving from station to station - according to their plan [there are 3 bus routes, tying themselves together to cover whole island]) - i have made nice sounds played accordingly to the station the bus arrived into (eg. "You have arrived at Petrovice, the next station is Neveklov", and so on :-) And don't wory, it isn't narrated by me but by the IBM voice sythesis which sounds really really good).

8. Killers are starting on small remote island, where they choose weapons (they can choose from any combination of Assault rifles, Sniper rifles, rifles with grenadelaunchers, and satchels).

When they are ready, they just click in the map where they want to be parachuted.

9. All police stations are defended by self respawning AI - for the killer to have hard time trying to destroy police vehicles - eg. choppers, and so on.

10. For police vehicles, i am using the dmx-police pack which includes police Gaz24, police UAZ, police BRDM, police Cessna, and police Mi-2.

All of them have been altered so the radio scripts can be used with them. I want to ask for permission from original creator of these vehicles, but i don't know who it is and how to reach him/them.

11. The default weapon loadout for cops is CZ75, and tweaked Mossberg M509 shotgun (it is deadly on short range, but as a longrange weapon it is almost useless as the pellets are too scattered)

-------------------------------------------------------------

The mission is done, and we are testing and tweaking it (i have just corrected last known bug).

And here is why i am talking about it:

i have a feeling that the mission is somewhat incomplete - not very amusing (but maybe it's just me because i have created it and got bored of it).

Anyway i want to ask all of you, what would you wanted to see in the mission? what other features should i add?

I forgot to add that i am gladly accepting any sugestions about which island to use - i have choosen Map Fact Nogova because it's nice and have many useful buildings, but it's starting to piss me off because of the low framerate i am getting on this island.

I just need the island to be big enough so the killer can disappear easily, and to have many routes, so the cops can't occupy all roads.

I like the Everon most - it's a very nice island and it can go with very high framerates (even the FDF retextured version with most of the Buildings switched for the Nogovian ones), somehow the Everon island looks believable (maybe because small village made of small houses looks much more real than isolated city made of 10 slab blocks)

search for versus2 on ofp.info site its has some very nice city's i used it with zombies and me and my friends have had great fun on that island smile_o.gif

One of the things I like about the original mission is that is doesnt require any addons which means we can have it on the RAAB server. The dmx-police pack is by DeadMeat

About the need of addons - unfortunately, it is necessary to have many addons to play this new mission - you need:

1. MapFact Nogova island v 1.22

2. dmx_policie 1.1

3. PZL Mi-2 Police V1.2

and some of my own addons created especially for this mission.

The mission is packed with lots of features the old mission didn't have, or have broken, and all of these spec. features are included in my addons.

So, you can get rid of the MapFact Nogova and play it on the original Nogova. You can get rid of PZL Mi-2 and use the Apache/Cobra/anything instead.

You can even get rid of dmx_policie, and use any other vehicles in place of police UAZ, police GAZ, or police BRDM.

But you will allways need the addons which i have created (which size is now 4.8 MB because of many radio sounds, and bus messages).

I played the mission once, I first thought it was a very original concept, but it turned out not be very entertaining in the present form.

Coop missions should more or less force people to cooperate in gameplay, therefore you could build in some extra elements to create a good chase:

- it's a bit pointless to have people search the whole island for one person; it sends off people in all kinds of possible directions & most people feel superfluous when the killer is finally spotted. You could have the serial killer spotted in one city or area - with a lot of AI movement as well - and spawn all players in the immediate vicinity so that they can set up an encirclement. (Make the city random so that you have a new environment to cover with every new game).

- the ability to create roadblocks + "clear" AI units for trespassing.

- killer is able to hide his gun

- killer should get a bonus if he manages to kill extra AI civilians without being spotted by the police

- police should get penalized if they shoot innocent civilians

- more means of transport in case the killer manages to sneak out of the siege (choppers, not just cars).

- why not give the killer some AI cronies that he can send off in order to distract from his own escape route

just some ideas, you could turn this into a very tactical mission

Quote[/b] ]- it's a bit pointless to have people search the whole island for one person; it sends off people in all kinds of possible directions & most people feel superfluous when the killer is finally spotted. You could have the serial killer spotted in one city or area - with a lot of AI movement as well - and spawn all players in the immediate vicinity so that they can set up an encirclement. (Make the city random so that you have a new environment to cover with every new game).
I think the oposite - there is no point in spawning the cops to the killer position, because then the game couldn't last for more than 1 minute (imagine 15 cops hunting 1 killer! how long do you think you can hold on? - especially when they know where the killer is).

I made it so the killer will spawn on to the position he pointed on map.

Cops are spawned according to the slot they choosed, and if they don't like their current spot, they can just take the car and move to any other location.

And who's talking about searching? - you can just turn on your radio, sit and wait until some civilians or cops are killed - then the radio will tell you where it was, and when the cops are spread across the whole island, they can very easily surround the killer - IF they cooperate (what's exactly what they should do, because it's coop mission).

Lot of AI movement is unnecessary because all cops see the civilian AIs on map - so when you see someone, you just peek into your map and then you know instantly who it is (if it's the killer, then you won't see the marker on his current position).

Quote[/b] ]- the ability to create roadblocks + "clear" AI units for trespassing.
about the road blocks, i'm not sure - anyone can create them from empty vehicles.

...and it's almost meaningless anyway - while we were testing the mission, there was often someone who tried to block the way with some vehicles, but it was very easy to avoid them - and it will be the same with real road blocks.

Quote[/b] ]- killer is able to hide his gun
i don't like this idea much because it's rather unreal - how could you put the sniper rifle into your pocket? And i think it would be too easy for the killer then.

Anyway the killer is able to hide his gun when he is carying only the pistol. And the rifle? he can allways drop it, right? or put into car.

Quote[/b] ]- killer should get a bonus if he manages to kill extra AI civilians without being spotted by the police
There is no way you could check if the killer was seen by police - by AI yes (knowsabout), but not by any player.

I have actually made it so the killer gets bonuses after 5, or 10 people are killed (civilians or cops doesn't matter).

The bonuses are M60 and full clip of sniper ammo (he can get only one clip when he starts, and only ordinary weapons like pistol, AK, HK, and so on).

...but some people complained it's very hard then, so i have allowed the killer to get even RPG and any other weapons like M60, PK, sniper rifles, etc.

And when he reaches a bonus, he can open a dialog where he chooses what weapon full with ammo he gets and it will be spawned right before him.

Quote[/b] ]- police should get penalized if they shoot innocent civilians
police cannot shoot civilians - they cannot harm them, otherwise they could kill the people and spoil the game. They even cannot use vehicles to kill them - for the same reason.

The civilians will stay dead only if the killer shots them, otherwise they will be instantly resurrected.

Quote[/b] ]- more means of transport in case the killer manages to sneak out of the siege (choppers, not just cars).
Do you mean choppers which the killer could fly?? Otherwise i don't understand because, as i wrote, cops can use choppers already (after some people are killed).
Quote[/b] ]- why not give the killer some AI cronies that he can send off in order to distract from his own escape route
Killer can take hostages, but he can only command them if he is close to them - if not, they will just run to the nearest cop and tell him where they last seen the killer.

...i can't imagine the hostage would do what the killer wanted even if they are no more in danger because he is away.