Sign in to follow this  
twisted

will ofp2 be as pretty as this?

bf2 looks so sweet.

http://files.filefront.com/Battlef....fo.html

but has arcade gameplay which puts me off big time.

i hope ofp2 will look even better and give me the realism (maybe even more) that i am enjoying now with OFP GOTY edition.

;)

notes on graphics i see on the above movie.

looks fabulous. particlulalry the light and dark areas. too many games have lighting in same tonal areas which makes everything look washed out. this is importnant as dark areas must stay dark even when brightness is turned up so people can hide in darkness.

great sky.

nice weapon details. vehilces look good.

physics look sweet as well. see how th ecar is stopped dead when shot by tank.

Now BF2 is released this year in july.

and OFP2 released next year spring?rock.gif that's a year extra so the graphics will smile_o.gif be even more mind shattering smile_o.gif

Don't get caught up on too much eye candy. Obviously some of the graphical effects in BF2 will be in OFP, but I still like the 'dirty' feel OFP has to it... it just isn't all that flashy. I think its more an opinion of what looks "good" in a war sim (or arcade in BF2's case).

I was looking at Joint Ops and going WOW THIS GAME LOOKS COOL!

I played Joint Ops

WOW! THIS GAME IS CRAP!

yeah compared to ofp nearly every shooter out now is pretty shit.

BUT .... graphics are important. I've only recently started playing ofp online. and one thing that's really bad is how players stand out on the landscape. my first game i went prone [dumb movie i know] and hoped the enemy in a tank a couple fo hundered meteres away wouldn't notice me. but as you can imagine the landscape is pretty damn barren so i stood out like a pair of dogs bollocks.

now in a more modern engine i'd expect there to be shadowed terrain and if you go in the shadow you get darker and harder to spot. making concealment and stealth a viable tactic.

also a more realistic looking envirnoment means more immesrion and suspension of belief.

better graphics = ability to immerse yourself in the game. and that's a good thing about JO. you can hide away. conceal yourself in the envirnoment. and that is crucially important.

smile_o.gif

graphics? what`s graphic?  tounge_o.gif   tounge_o.gif   tounge_o.gif  

realistic iron sights! howgh...

If you mean trees, grass and so on...generaly to make ofp more green...i`m with you...

And I wonder sometimes...why game which isn`t using dx9 is sometime more realistic (graphic things) than for ex. Bf`s....

`dirty`...yeah...without dx blurs...

It`s cool maybe in nfsu (looks cool even if it`s not so realistic...) but ofp has it`s own `magic`...

It`s rather grey and it`s the reason it looks more real.

I don`t want ofp2 look like dx9 benchmark mad_o.gif

I want it to stay grey.

when it comes to compare gfx there is actually only one you can really "compete" with, and thats steal beasts.

Dont forget that the area between Montingac->Morton is bigger then most BF maps ever will be, and then you all know how big Nogova is..

I want it to stay grey.

If you have a nvidia based graphics card go into you driver options and add just a bit of digital vibrance to it, OPF will look less grey but the colors will look more realistic, especialy under good lighting conditions, everything will look more alive biggrin_o.gif .

I want it to stay grey.

If you have a nvidia based graphics card go into you driver options and add just a bit of digital vibrance to it, OPF will look less grey but the colors will look more realistic, especialy under good lighting conditions, everything will look more alive biggrin_o.gif .

Exactly... this trick is amazing (I just recently discovered it...), it makes OFP look so colorful and vibrant... it's really awesome.

LOL @ digital vibrance, tried it, made my eyes hurt. Altho it made the sand in desert island much more colorful smile_o.gif

Battlefield 2:

It still seems to go on with the regular shoot-em-up style, but that's fine, 'cause that way it won't be much of a competition to OFP2 ;)

Yeah well.. lol....

the thing is that when Ofp2 comes out.... there will be a Battlefield 3 or probably a battlefield 4 cause i doubt OFp2 will come out spring 2006... it for sure will be delayed as with all big games in the past few years so....

hey u want eye candy look at swat4 and ive played the demo and it is fantastic

I wouldnt mind if it looked similar to VBS1, with improved models, animations and textures and some better efects, it would look good enough for me and i hope they aim "resources" on more important stuff like colision detection and solving those nasty cliping issues. I dont care about specular maps and bump mapping and that other cartoon DX9 stuff, i want it to look like real life and theres nothing more life alike than a sharp photorealistic texture. If they succeed to make everything more solid and with improved physics i will be happy enough.

I have yet to try the swat4 demo but from the pics i saw at gamespy the models and textures werent really very impressive nor realistic rock.gif .

Have you looked at Brothers In Arms? That's the sort of level of graphical perfection you should be wanting. The only problem I've seen is the muzzle flashes, which are spheres. That can be modified, I'm sure.

In fact, the whole game looks like Operation Flashpoint in World War Two, except a much smaller but a much more realistic.

well i cant wait to see 1 screenshot of ofp2.. that would be amazing biggrin_o.gif

then we'll know what it looks like

Have you looked at Brothers In Arms?  That's the sort of level of graphical perfection you should be wanting.  The only problem I've seen is the muzzle flashes, which are spheres.  That can be modified, I'm sure.

In fact, the whole game looks like Operation Flashpoint in World War Two, except a much smaller but a much more realistic.

Well, with all honesty i dont expect OPF2 graphics to look like any other game out there, i expect them to look like a up to date OPF/VBS. These comparison threads just dont make any sense. OPF has its own graphics engine and BIS already stated that they would be improving and rebuilding the OPF engine.

Take for example the Our weapons mod MI26 "Halo" helicopter, that is the type of stuff i expect to see in OPF2, high poly counts and photo realistic textures, i can pick many games whose graphics are highly rated but none of them look has real has this example, Far Cry for example, its vehicals and weapons look like shit wink_o.gif .

I have seen many games out there, some look great for some reason but in the end i want OPF2 to look like OPF2, im not willing to reduce the amount of units on a map/battle for ragdolls or lighting efects or stuff like that smile_o.gif .

yeah. at its best ofp has a look n feel like nothing out there. and the vsb screen shots look damn awesome.

i recently grabbed the high res textures for OFP islands. and wow its much better. add lluamax ski, dxdll and some improved models (HYK) and things are suddenly looking very sweet.

however....

as far as graphics go i wouldn't want benchmarking effects or bright and shiny stuff. rather an environment where everything fits well. and this is where ofp ATM has its wow moments and problems.

lighting/shadows/ tones that all work together present a 'unified' battefield. where a wall and the surrounding vegetation is lit properly.

where the vegetation looks part of the terrain and not likes its been disconnectedly plopped on the ground.

I'd also see things like really nicely made grass playing a big part. by nicely made i mean that it looks like grass even close up and not like an overclose view of a polygon.

where buildings look like buildings and less than cardboard structures with pictures pasted on them.

i'd also like to see small touchs like binocular reflections if sun catches the lens at the correct angle.

and shadow areas (think side of mountain or shade under a tree) where if you go there you (and surrounding objects) go darker as well.

I don't care how pretty it will be. The lightning and shadows have to be correct, and everything else I care about is the gameplay and realism.

Yeah, if it's like VBS1 graphic wise, (yeah VBS1 isn't much better I know.) And all the major bugs fixed then they can do as they want with the gfx's, well sure I want better gfx's.. But I don't wanna buy a new PC either.

But I don't wanna buy a new PC either.

You mean like don't buy a new PC ever? For us gamers, that has never been an option.

I will build a new gaming rig this summer, my old one from summer 2003 isn't quite cutting it anymore in the newer games. Hopefully it will play OFP 2 quite nicely, although it will come out a year (or more...) after I've put it togheter.

(For those interested, it will be something like this: AMD64 3500+, 1 gig dualchannel ram, Radeon X850XT PE 256MB, DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D mobo and a WD 74GB Raptor hdd... + other stash as well, but those are the key components)

But I don't wanna buy a new PC either.

You mean like don't buy a new PC ever? For us gamers, that has never been an option.

I will build a new gaming rig this summer, my old one from summer 2003 isn't quite cutting it anymore in the newer games. Hopefully it will play OFP 2 quite nicely, although it will come out a year (or more...) after I've put it togheter.

(For those interested, it will be something like this: AMD64 3500+, 1 gig dualchannel ram, Radeon X850XT PE 256MB, DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D mobo and a WD 74GB Raptor hdd... + other stash as well, but those are the key components)

haha, well, I bought a new one in august or something.

So I don't wanna buy 1x PC more when I bought one in august. biggrin_o.gif

You can never have too many PC's tounge_o.gif

I have 2 PC's running now, and enough parts to have at least one more up and running... I know, I have too much hardware floating around... something my missus reminds me of constantly tounge_o.gif

Hi all biggrin_o.gif

I wouldn't say Battlefield 2 was THAT pretty....the actual in-game screenshots don't look anything like those preview movies   crazy_o.gif  ( UE 3.0 -- now THATS pretty wink_o.gif  )

But that doesn't bother me really - the current graphics do exactly what they were intended to do, besides how many other games can make an island a few miles wide with no loading pauses in-between...??

And I'd take gameplay over graphics any day -- If anything I'd prefer them to tune the game engine a bit more - I get the same performance with my old P2Ghz + GF4 Ti  as I do with my P4 3.5Ghz + GF6 GT..??  ( I would've thought I could handle a View Distance of at least 2000++ with High Textures - but I can only use the Normal setting sad_o.gif )

Who knows what they've got in store for us...Ideally they'd make:

- New/Heavily Modified Engine ( all fancy DX 9.0 effects -HDR -PS 3.0 )

- Modding tools and Mission Maker

- Improved multiplayer ( hopefully with the ability to join a game mid-session )

They've definately got a hard task to top the first game...but I'm sure they'll surprise us with something special in the coming months  biggrin_o.gif

/eek rambled on a bit  wow_o.gif

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong - and I hope this isn't already known but....the official site ( http://www.flashpoint2.com ) has some ( slightly blurred ) screenies -- does it not...??

It also mentions VBS1 and the 2nd Generation of its "proprietary engine" -- I assume its an Enchanced VBS1 engine..??

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong - and I hope this isn't already known but....the official site ( http://www.flashpoint2.com ) has some ( slightly blurred ) screenies -- does it not...??

It also mentions VBS1 and the 2nd Generation of its "proprietary engine" -- I assume its an Enchanced VBS1 engine..??

That site hasn't been updated for ages. Relaese date "late 2004, early 2005"?? They can change that to late 2006, early 2007.

The screens are most likely VBS1 screenshots and not meant as a preview for OFP2.

Guest Ti0n3r
I have seen many games out there, some look great for some reason but in the end i want OPF2 to look like OPF2, im not willing to reduce the amount of units on a map/battle for ragdolls or lighting efects or stuff like that smile_o.gif .

I dont think ragdolls would have to big impact on the preformance. And OFP2 with ragdolls would be pretty nice smile_o.gif