Sign in to follow this  
DKM Jaguar

Decisive Killing Machines

Guest major gandhi

looks nice! how many polygons does the plane have?

Guest RKSL-Rock
hehhe  tounge2.gif

how about reversing an afterburner script... its the same basic concept - you can switch engines on and select afterburner and it pushes you forward with no need for the W key... if you reverse the trig and lower the velocity it5 should work as your reverse thrust  wink_o.gif

Thanks i hadnt thought of that!

looks nice! how many polygons does the plane have?

atm without all the aerials etc and a fully detailed interior in the 1st res lod

6522 Vertices & 7440 faces - pre optimisation.

With the aerials, vents etc for a standard H version add 311 vertices & 530 faces.

2nd Res lod is 5875 & 6200 (0.10)

3rd Res lod is 5200 & 5053 (0.25)

Shadow Lod is 436 and 419 (90.0)

Ive got some re works to do with should hopefully drop that down to 6200 & 7000.  No guarentees on actual numbers at this stage but it will be properly LoDed and detailed.

That res lod ''system'' you are using worries me....

The differences in polycount between the lods are tiny in comparison to the total polycount confused_o.gif

To get the system working on this model means producing a geo lod that that affects the performance of the aircraft. I built a test bed when i read that thread and about 50% of the time it destroyed itself before anything else.  To stop that i ended up with a geo lod that caused problems and made the flight model totally unrealistic and the AI couldnt fly it properly.  It either couldnt land on its own or a number of odd things started happening.

To fix it to my own satisfaction would take quite a bit of testing and development.  Considering the number of versions both Jag and I have planned its not worth wasting time devloping a new geo for 1 model and delaying the release of the main pack.

The last bit is understandable, but here's a tip for the first bit delete the GEO lod from the gun addons themselves.

I have done a lot of experiementing with these cargo proxy systems (planes, choppers, ships, cars) but havent seen what you are describing (in planes anyway). nm ..... give me a yell when you get around to the second, or third, or fourth version smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
That res lod ''system'' you are using worries me....

The differences in polycount between the lods are tiny in comparison to the total polycount confused_o.gif

I wish I hadn't said anything now I can’t seem to win.  The res lods aren’t final, neither are their poly counts.

Im using a sequential modelling technique where I build up the model from the basic size and outline up through various levels of details.  The end result is various stages of development that I can step back through so the lods don’t represent a finished product just stages in development.

Quote[/b] ]No guarantees on actual numbers at this stage but it will be properly LoDed and detailed.

As I said above it will be done properly.  Currently you can have 7 of these Hercs flying around without a noticeable drop in FPS.

4km view distance, Desert island 7 Hercs and 75fps constantly, slowing to 63fps when they start para-dropping.

Gnat @ Nov. 09 2005,15:36)]

To fix it to my own satisfaction would take quite a bit of testing and development.  Considering the number of versions both Jag and I have planned its not worth wasting time devloping a new geo for 1 model and delaying the release of the main pack.

The last bit is understandable, but here's a tip for the first bit delete the GEO lod from the gun addons themselves.

I have done a lot of experimenting with these cargo proxy systems (planes, choppers, ships, cars) but havent seen what you are describing (in planes anyway). nm ..... give me a yell when you get around to the second, or third, or fourth version smile_o.gif

Alot seems to depend on the quality/complexity of the geo lod.  The simpler the lod the less impact it seems to have.  At the moment the geo lod is moderately complex with each large mass (engines etc) represented.  In tests the guns kept hitting the wing tip and the engines as the aircraft rolled into a turn.  This means either shortening the wings and removing the engines thus changing the handling, or experimenting with different fire geo lods which I haven’t had time to do as yet.

I did change the geo lods to suit but unfortunately the AI couldn’t fly it properly, it was very unstable in flight and certainly couldn’t land on its own.  Which I find unacceptable considering what the community seems to expect from 'good' addons.

I’ve already got 4 aircraft flying with gimballed guns and most are tail or nose guns so don’t have the same problems.  But thanks for the offer of help.  If we get stuck we'll give you a shout.

Several people have offered to help out with loding and other efforts of assistance.  Thank you very much but right now we’re plodding along quite happily on our own and enjoying the experience.  If we do need any help you’ll be the first to know…now please stop spamming my email & MSN

tounge2.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Quick question about older DKM addons: where do I get the most up-to-date version of the DKM_RSC.pbo file?

Since Jag isnt around atm... whistle.gif  ...try Downloading the Blackeagle - it has the latest (I think) RSC included in the archive.

wow

can't wait to get my hands on em

wen its cuming out  banghead.gif

will u guys implement halo script as well...

...erm...When its finished?

I'm afraid we're not going to commit to dates yet.  Alot depends on how much free time we both have to commit to the project.

...and yes we will add a Halo jump script.

As much as I dislike making posts which are negative, due to Rockape being piled with messages about how people think they should get the C-130 before anyone else, it's time for a public statement.

Rockape and myself are BOTH working on this pack. There are a few people who seem to think it is either solely myself or him that are working on it.

Secondly, there will be no "special edition" model or pack for certain people. Please do not request one. Also, if your mod is making things, you do not require the C-130 to continue working. You can find dimensions of the cargo bay on the Lockheed site, failing that Rockape or myself will supply you with the technical data you need.

You can also find this information for finding out if the C-130 will fit in your aircraft hangers.

It must be said again: this model is a COMPLETELY NEW model for this project. You don't require the model to check if it's yours. wink_o.gif It's not. Well, not unless you're Rockape.

We were not born yesturday. wink_o.gif

My last request is that for any questions regarding variants, countries, colour schemes etc be PMed to me, so Rockape doesn't have to deal with all of the messages.

Just to reiterate, we are NOT running the "Reasons why I should have this model before anyone else because I am special" in 40 words or less competition. smile_o.gif I already won it. Then again I was the judge. whistle.gif

Even while typing this, another reason was sent. icon_rolleyes.gif

I know a lot of people are waiting for a decent C-130, but we will release the C-130s to the public only when they are finished.

There will be no exceptions, we do not require beta testers as we already have them.

Our thanks to the community for their understanding.

Very very nice model guys; you´re doing a great job with this plane. Keep it up thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]Just to reiterate, we are NOT running the "Reasons why I should have this model before anyone else because I am special" in 40 words or less competition

confused_o.gif damn.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Quote[/b] ]Just to reiterate, we are NOT running the "Reasons why I should have this model before anyone else because I am special" in 40 words or less competition

confused_o.gif damn.

Just to give you and idea what sort of dumb requests we're getting:

Quote[/b] ]Hi new friend I see you are making a c130 id like to ask to see your model as I think it might be my own model I maked a year ago. I wont think its fair if you release this without mine seeing it. Forgave my English Im Russia

(Name removed to protect the stupid)

The email backtracks to Florida,US

Quote[/b] ]Hi Ive been a long time fan of RKSL and have all your addons can you send me a special fans preview of the Hercules? I’d really like to beta test for you.

Quote[/b] ]You dude, Can you help me out im making a c130 too and im struggling can you send me your model so I can use it scale from Thanks for you help

Quote[/b] ]

Hi Rockosl We are making a US Marine corp mod and wanted to kow if we could have a preview of your model because we cant go any further with our addons until we know they will fit into your Hercules

This guys came back another 3 times with yet another reason why we 'had' to give him our models.

I've since had a few more "reasons" offered, but my personal favourite is:

Quote[/b] ]Hi I am a colonel in the Royal Air Force at RAF Cottimore flying C-130H I'd like to offer my services as your test pilot.

I wont list the number of errors in that last statement, but i have to say its the most creative so far smile_o.gif

Seriously though as Jaguar already said if you have a legitimate request, suggestion etc PM jag and we'll try and help you out.

Ah, the joys of the "gimme gimme gimme" crowd.

Anyway, with para-dropping (if you get it in there), will troops be jumping from the sides? or will they be jumping from the Rear? or both?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Anyway, with para-dropping (if you get it in there), will troops be jumping from the sides? or will they be jumping from the Rear? or both?

Well thanks to UNN we can now do 2 stick paradrops fromt eh side doors. So we're already there sort of...kinda...but it still needs some work.

Hi I am a colonel in the Royal Air Force at RAF Cottimore flying C-130H I'd like to offer my services as your test pilot.

Hahaha, Colonel, haha, RAF, Haha

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Thats great!

Bah people will say anything to get thier hands on an addon it seems tounge2.gifwhistle.gif

I do some testing here and there for mods.

I am usually asked to beta test and not the other way around.

What I get to "play" with are addons that have untextured LODS, CTD's, config errors and all the other fun stuff.

I dont see why people want to beta test to be honest...its not really all that fun and its actually work if you do it properly.

I guess that last part is the difference.

whistle.gif

As much as I dislike making posts which are negative, due to Rockape being piled with messages about how people think they should get the C-130 before anyone else, it's time for a public statement.

Rockape and myself are BOTH working on this pack. There are a few people who seem to think it is either solely myself or him that are working on it.

Secondly, there will be no "special edition" model or pack for certain people. Please do not request one. Also, if your mod is making things, you do not require the C-130 to continue working. You can find dimensions of the cargo bay on the Lockheed site, failing that Rockape or myself will supply you with the technical data you need.

You can also find this information for finding out if the C-130 will fit in your aircraft hangers.

It must be said again: this model is a COMPLETELY NEW model for this project. You don't require the model to check if it's yours. wink_o.gif It's not. Well, not unless you're Rockape.

We were not born yesturday.  wink_o.gif

My last request is that for any questions regarding variants, countries, colour schemes etc be PMed to me, so Rockape doesn't have to deal with all of the messages.

Just to reiterate, we are NOT running the "Reasons why I should have this model before anyone else because I am special" in 40 words or less competition. smile_o.gif I already won it. Then again I was the judge. whistle.gif

Even while typing this, another reason was sent.  icon_rolleyes.gif

I know a lot of people are waiting for a decent C-130, but we will release the C-130s to the public only when they are finished.

There will be no exceptions, we do not require beta testers as we already have them.

Our thanks to the community for their understanding.

AMEN! thumbs-up.gif

I havn't seen the ADATS fire yet.

Might get my empty head shot off for poking it out of the fox hole, but I was also wanting to politely enquire on this projects status, realizing fully that you're flat out with the Hercs notworthy.gif Be a nice balance to the Tunguska smile_o.gif

With steel helmet firmly fixed to my skull, I too bravely look up and ask for information on the project. <Ducks back down>.

Theoretically, one could be a Colonel in the Royal Air Force - I haven't seen any General Orders or whatnot invalidating the rank since the transformation into the Royal Air Force. There were still Majors, Colonels and Captains into the 1930s - gradually being phased out into the "Flight" and "Air" Ranks we have now.

Still, theoretically. Thank you, RKofSL, for protecting the stupid tounge2.gif.

Guest RKSL-Rock
With steel helmet firmly fixed to my skull, I too bravely look up and ask for information on the project. <Ducks back down>.

Theoretically, one could be a Colonel in the Royal Air Force - I haven't seen any General Orders or whatnot invalidating the rank since the transformation into the Royal Air Force.  There were still Majors, Colonels and Captains into the 1930s - gradually being phased out into the "Flight" and "Air" Ranks we have now.

Still, theoretically.  Thank you, RKofSL, for protecting the stupid tounge2.gif.

There hasn't been a Colonel in the RAF since its formation. The rank of Colonel in the RAF simply does not and never has existed. Any colonel, Major etc would have been seconded to the RAF from the Army or left over from the Royal Flying Corps (RFC), but they were still members of the Army and not the RAF.

The issue of ranks was clearly stated in the documents created during the RAF's formation. As were the division of equipment and trained personel from the Army to the RAF.

Anyway back on topic now please.

Would it be possible to do cabin lighting that doesnt also light up the whole surrounding outside the aircraft. >> I just played with the BAS blackhawk in the night. And turned on the cabin lighting, from inside it looks nice, but from outside its horrible.. biggrin_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Would it be possible to do cabin lighting that doesnt also light up the whole surrounding outside the aircraft. >> I just played with the BAS blackhawk in the night. And turned on the cabin lighting, from inside it looks nice, but from outside its horrible..  biggrin_o.gif

I’ve been trying this for a while and haven’t come up with a good solution. OFP's lighting system isn’t that sophisticated and doesn’t recognise the difference between solid and transparent objects which is why you get the colour bleeding out all over the place. There isn’t an obvious or good solution as yet. But I haven’t finished experimenting yet. We'll get back to you.