Sign in to follow this  
Llauma

Taegukgi

Taegukgi02.jpgTaegukgi01.jpg

Taegukgi03.jpgTaegukgi04.jpg

Taegukgi05.jpgTaegukgi06.jpg

I saw a great war movie from Korea called Taegukgi a few days ago. It's propably among the top 3 war movies I've seen so far and as the majority on these forums seems to be into war movies I would wanna recommend it as it might easily slip by.

Here's the movie site with more info and a trailer..

www.taegukgi2004.com

Tell us a little about it. I assume it is a S. Korean movie in Korean but other than that is it fictional, true-based, etc.

I guess it follows real events from the Korean War but I'm sure that the main plot about the two brothers is fictional.. It's pretty much like Saving Private Ryan. You get to follow the destiny of two brothers where the older one does what he can to get his little brother sent home. He is promised that if he receives a medal his brother will be sent home so he accepts every suicide mission. It shows a very raw side of war where both sides acts like animals against people who used to be their neighbours or friends.

You don't get to see any Americans, just a few radio messages about what they're up to.

Sounds interesting , how did you see this movie (i mean dubbed or subtitles?) assuming you dont understand korean biggrin_o.gif

The pics look pretty hollywoodish , i had no idea korean film making was at such high levels usually asian films are low budget affairs crazy_o.gif

No Americans? Well screw it then!

tounge_o.gif

I'm going to try and find it since foreign movies tend to be better than Hollywood claptrap. Luckily I live in a highly film oriented town (plus a large Asian community), so there are a few stores I can try. Thanks for the tip.

ive seen it too, and i can just agree that it´s a great film..

i saw it with english sub text..

Sounds interesting , how did you see this movie (i mean dubbed or subtitles?) assuming you dont understand korean  biggrin_o.gif

The pics look pretty hollywoodish , i had no idea korean film making was at such high levels usually asian films are low budget affairs  crazy_o.gif

I watched the one with subtitles.. I would not even in my worst nightmare want to see it dubbed.

The quality of the movie wouldn't have been any better if it would have been made in Hollywood. The Korean movies have reached the Hollywood level. I can't understand why this movie wasn't nominated for an Oscar in the Best foreign film category. The fact is that the movie should have been awarded for much more such as best costumes etc.

But I guess as the nominations are done by Hollywood people they don't wanna promote something that isn't made in Hollywood. After all it's where they get their money for the show.

Sounds interesting , how did you see this movie (i mean dubbed or subtitles?) assuming you dont understand korean  biggrin_o.gif

The pics look pretty hollywoodish , i had no idea korean film making was at such high levels usually asian films are low budget affairs  crazy_o.gif

uh huh...so i guess Arabic movies are not? wink_o.gif

anyways, i got to watch it last week when DVD came out. nice to read subtitles while rest of my friends listen to Korean. tounge_o.gif

this movie was not considered for best film in oscars because some in Korea wanted to push for another movie, and that pushed this movie away from ballot. plus, this movie was released in US, but not much. mostly where Koreans live.

my opinion is that it could have done a lot better with all the trench fighting. it just got mundane after so many close-up shots. there were some points when transition of emotions were somewhat artificial.

some more info.

the story of brothers is fictional.

the actress who plays the fiance just hung herself a few weeks ago due to clinical depression. sad_o.gif

Nah arabic movies are low budget too and pretty crap imo.

Only short comedy sitcoms are somewhat good here , rest they need to work on blues.gif .

I liked the movie. Like many of the Korean movies I've seen, it's a little on the overdramatic side (that's not to say only Korean movies are like that, however - most movies are) but overall it was very well done (and for only $12 million, IIRC!)

I'm pretty sure that someone posted a trailer to this in another thread some time ago (if recollection serve's me correct it was the top ww2 movie thread) anyhow back then I can remember a small number of people raving about this movie. Will be checking it out asap. smile_o.gif

I rented this movie a few weeks back and it was really good. The battle scenes and the scenes of refugees fleeing the fighting are very dramatic and effectively convey the Korean war. There's lots of hand to hand fighting, and they show quite a few atrocities ( North Koreans killing peasants, South Koreans killing prisoners).

The characters and the plot do seem a bit overdramatic in some parts, and sometimes it is a bit hard to believe the emotional stances the two brothers take. Also, so much people die in the movie that you feel no empathy except towards the brothers. Still a movie that's worth a watch, especially if you're interested in the Korean War.

I've seen a lot of Korean action movies (The Tube, Libera me,...) lately and must say that they had a high standard of production, but story and characters were crap! biggrin_o.gif

I don't want to bash the Korean film industry, most Hollywood action movies are crap, too, but I hope Taegukgi makes a difference! It looks like it's worth watching! smile_o.gif

I don't consider the overacting as bad acting. You see it in most asian movies because that's the way they want it. One of the greatest movies of all time Seven Samurai is heavily overacted. These movies are not supposed to mimic real life but to deliver a cocktail of feelings and emotions which the viewer has to interpret (Oh my God that sounded lame but it's the truth smile_o.gif )

Another Korean movie I'd recommend is Oldboy.. It's a very disturbing and fascinating masterpiece.

One of the greatest movies of all time Seven Samurai is heavily overacted. These movies are not supposed to mimic real life but to deliver a cocktail of feelings and emotions which the viewer has to interpret

That's typical of Japanese "historical" movies and I suppose it comes from traditional Japanese theatre. I really enjoy such movies. But this kind of overacting has no place in modern movies, IMO. wink_o.gif

I just finished watching it and must say it was a GREAT GREAT GREAT movie..on par with alot of the movies made here in the US including the Band of Brothers mini series. I'll definately be addin this one to my small collection of foreign war films....

I saw this movie a couple of days ago and I loved it for it's honesty. It makes no apologies for either side of the war and shows both comitting atrocities. You also see former friends and neighbours ending up on opposite sides and trying to kill each other. There was one conversation between some South Korean soldiers that I thought was highly ironic. Went something like:

"I hear the Commies slaughter the families of soldiers and cops"

"That's why I'm going to kill every single last one I find - even kids"

I wonder if any Europeans will ever get to see this movie...

I wonder if any Europeans will ever get to see this movie...

Why this comment ?

Is this film banned in europe ?

Well, Denmark, where I live, don't get some/a lot of the movies in America. For example - The movie Rollerblade never came to Denmark. It is available on DVD however. Now, I might be able to get Taekgukgi on DVD, but then I'll have to order it. It curtainly wasn't in the cinemas and I would never have known about it if it wasn't for this topic.

Ah, ok

In France we have a lot of delay between the release of a movie in the USA and to reach my country, unless it is a big seller one , it can takes a lots of months for less known movies.

And usually you have already been spoiled about the whole story of the movie by mostly everyone in the world that had already watched it when it comes in the french movie theaters wink_o.gif

Well, Denmark, where I live, don't get some/a lot of the movies in America. For example - The movie Rollerblade never came to Denmark. It is available on DVD however. Now, I might be able to get Taekgukgi on DVD, but then I'll have to order it. It curtainly wasn't in the cinemas and I would never have known about it if it wasn't for this topic.

on top of that, the movie is Korean, and it took long time to come to US. I'm not sure how Korean marketting is capable of reaching EU audience, but for US, the movie opened where there were a lot of Korean population. Perhaps you can find a large Korean community and get it from them.

Amazon

You can find it here.

EDIT: Open the Amazon website and type in the title of the movie.

Taegukgi = The Korean Flag