Sign in to follow this  
pajama

Gran Turismo 4

I just did, it's pretty nice

Cheers mate! tounge_o.gif

Any particular picture you like best? I'm still getting to grips with making my photos really striking.

oh,man....

I'd love to add a positive feedback on GT4 (I got a JPN version)but i'm too drunk ATM.

So, stay tuned...

Tommorow, i'll write something constructive, i hope...

GT for all the way!

i'm so f***ed...

Has anyone been able to use the LAN multiplayer feature yet?

A mate and I have been waiting until we'd 'opened' up the game a little before we start racing each other. (That, and he needs to get a Network Adaptor for his PS2.....hopefully it'll be coming in on Wednesday)

Just want to see if there's any tips to get it up and running smoothly before we might have to encounter unexpected difficulties and unnecessary inconveniences......such as will a crossover cable suffice, or is a LAN hub necessary.....

Bah, you want GTR.

No I dont as it has Starforce, like I posted already on this thread :P Plus GTR feels more like a F1 Challenge mod anyway (which it pretty much is) than a game of its own, rFactor should be the next big ISI engine game.

OKay you don't want GTR, but most people who are serious about simulation want it. Okay starforce sucks, all the protection sucks, but the game is the best to date, by a freaking long shot. It's not perfect, but close enough for 2005 IMO.

OKay you don't want GTR, but most people who are serious about simulation want it.   Okay starforce sucks, all the protection sucks, but the game is the best to date, by a freaking long shot.

"Best game" is very subjective, I'm sure there are alot of people who think GT4 is the best racing simulation ever, and from what I have seen I personally would not even put it in the simulator class. I do not want GTR because I can't play it as it doesn't work without Starforce, being serious or not about simulations has nothing to do with it. Sure the physics are good but so are the physics of many other racing simulators too (like LFS, RBR, GPL, Nascar 2003, NetKar, F1 Challenge, rFactor, etc.) and those work without polluting my system with SF.

Is it actually a simulation yet or is it a pretty car gallery with rubber walls around the track?

As in, what happens when you collide with a wall or another car, is it still that arcadey nonsense?

Is it actually a simulation yet or is it a pretty car gallery with rubber walls around the track?

As in, what happens when you collide with a wall or another car, is it still that arcadey nonsense?

real simulators dont have damage or any realistic crash effect wink_o.gif

real simulators dont have damage or any realistic crash effect wink_o.gif

Look up simulator in the dictionary

"a device that enables the operator to reproduce or represent under test conditions phenomena likely to occur in actual performance"

Real simulators do model crashes and collisions. Thats a load of nonsense. Plane simulators don't model 900 mph crashes into the earth because there is no point, but they do model equipment breakdowns etc.

GTR is the best GT racing simulator to date, it's not subjective at all, there are and were numerous racing drivers who have tested it and contributed, and practice on it. As a matter of fact there are racing drivers in the development team.

How about this to convince you this sim actually has much better physics than the titles you mention Kegs.

Quote[/b] ]

Thanks for your email. I hope you enjoy the game - many of our drivers

have

tried it out, and they all agreed that it was incredibly realistic.

Some of

them were using the simulator to practice some of the circuits, and

were

very impressed...

snip

snip

Best wishes

Jacquie

Jacquie is from the FIA...

To even suggest that other titles today have similar physics is really out there, maybe you should try the game in detail first. Now the AI, that could be improved. biggrin_o.gif

GTR is the best GT racing simulator to date, it's not subjective at all, there are and were numerous racing drivers who have tested it and contributed, and practice on it.

Racing driver's opinion is as subjective as anyone else's, have those drivers tested other sims too or just GTR? I'm sure all the sims mentioned have had their share of racing drivers testing them, I know at least Nascar 2003(or maybe some older version), RBR and LFS have had theirs.

Quote[/b] ]To even suggest that other titles today have similar physics is really out there, maybe you should try the game in detail first.  Now the AI, that could be improved.   biggrin_o.gif

GTR uses the old ISI engine from F1 Challenge so it's physics are quite similar as the ones in F1C. All of the sims mentioned have their weaknesses and strengths, including GTR, and saying that one of them is the most realistic and that nothing else has even anything similar is nothing but ignorance and fanboyism in my opinion.

bn880 is 'Jacquie' there Jacques Villenuieve ? That french canadian dude who drives a BAR honda (right?).

They are very dark photos but http://img97.exs.cx/img97/2780/img00099gf.jpg is nice.

Do you use the usb thing for the images?  I took a few, I'd also like to get them on the internet

Cheers, that's my personal fave aswell! wink_o.gif

The Aston Martin Vanquish is probably my favourite car in the world, though.

Yeah, I use a 32 MB Seitec USB stick. Got it as a Christmas present a couple of years back, knew it would come in handy some day! biggrin_o.gif

I would not say it's "the best" game, I would say the developers probably did more than most other developers do.

I would also say it's the most advanced driving sim out there.

Bah...i'm a sad man. I bought a Kingston DataTraveler II (128MB) just for GT4 and yet still havn't got the game. Its on my list of backlog of games that I still need to purchase. Just recently grab ICO off eBay for $8.00. smile_o.gif

had a quick play in a store today was ok but i guess you need to sit down and give it a proper play, forza motorsport, now theres one to look forward to smile_o.gif

had a quick play in a store today was ok but i guess you need to sit down and give it a proper play, forza motorsport, now theres one to look forward to smile_o.gif

Do I what I do... Get both! biggrin_o.gif

The "GT4", for the Xbox is Forza.(I'm looking foward too this release!)

From xbox.com:

Quote[/b] ]Are you passionate about cars and racing? Then, Forza Motorsportâ„¢ is your game. Own, customize, and race your favorite cars in the most technologically advanced and realistic driving sim yet.

Use race earnings to buy upgrades and aftermarket parts, so you can transform real production cars into high-performance racers. On the track, experience an impressively accurate simulation, while putting your performance-tuned creations to the test against the online gaming world on Xbox Liveâ„¢.

sim-forza-0006.jpg

sim-forza-0011.jpg

sim-forza-0015.jpg

sim-forza-0016.jpg

I wonder if this game would be some real competion for GT4?But I must say that is some pretty good graphics for the PS2!

(By the way, I wonder how's Midnight club 3?)

Midnight Club 3: D.U.B crazy_o.gif

I'm sorry but I can't stand the ricer community. :ducks:

Although some of them do a good job and "theming" their ride. tounge_o.gif

I don't know why but Forza's graphic's looks less impressive then GT4 rock.gif

Yes there is more "little" details, but GT4 seems to have better car models/textures.

I don't know why but Forza's graphic's looks less impressive then GT4 rock.gif

Yes there is more "little" details, but GT4 seems to have better car models/textures.

Remember, though, only the main cars look that good on GT4. I unlocked a few slower, 'less popular' cars, and the textures weren't nice at all.

GTR is the best GT racing simulator to date, it's not subjective at all, there are and were numerous racing drivers who have tested it and contributed, and practice on it.

Racing driver's opinion is as subjective as anyone else's, have those drivers tested other sims too or just GTR? I'm sure all the sims mentioned have had their share of racing drivers testing them, I know at least Nascar 2003(or maybe some older version), RBR and LFS have had theirs.

Quote[/b] ]To even suggest that other titles today have similar physics is really out there, maybe you should try the game in detail first. Now the AI, that could be improved. biggrin_o.gif

GTR uses the old ISI engine from F1 Challenge so it's physics are quite similar as the ones in F1C. All of the sims mentioned have their weaknesses and strengths, including GTR, and saying that one of them is the most realistic and that nothing else has even anything similar is nothing but ignorance and fanboyism in my opinion.

Right, so basically having many FIA GT drivers have input on and say that this is the best title in terms of simulation accounts for a discountable opinion?

I know the background of the sim, it still doesn't make it less of a best FIA GT sim ever... tounge_o.gif

Jack Villeneuve? Nah, I'm his replacement. wink_o.gif

Edit: I've figured it out, Kegs, you're obviously a Swede hater, you don't like their Sim. tounge_o.gif

I do have to say, this Gran Tourismo toy does look pretty. smile_o.gif

Right, so basically having many FIA GT drivers have input on and say that this is the best title in terms of simulation accounts for a discountable opinion?

When have I said its discountable? I said its subjective like any other opinion. How could a FIA GT driver even compare the realism of the physics of a GT car sim to, for example, a rally simulator like RBR? I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who is a professional GT driver, professional rally driver, professional f1 driver, etc. and who has tested all the games mentioned, knows all their internals and the math behind "realistic" physics. That would be the only way to get somewhat reliable opinion on which of them has the most realistic physics, and still it would propably end up being more or less "wrong" because its difficult to compare the physics of totally different type of racing to another because with the computing power of todays computers you're going to have to take "shortcuts" to make things seem realistic.

But, since you seem to know the internals of all those sims so well, why dont you tell me what exactly it is that is so realistic in GTR's physics that no other game has?

Quote[/b] ]Edit: I've figured it out, Kegs, you're obviously a Swede hater, you don't like their Sim.  tounge_o.gif

If that would be true I would not like RBR, and Starforce is made by russians anyway. Though it propably was the GTR developer's choice to use it (I guess GTR's developers are swedes since you bought it up).

A simulation is basically proven to be more or less accurate in this case by people who know the physical world and compare, drivers are quite satisfied with GTR, stating the usual lack of G forces and feedback in pedals etc. It can also be proven by comparison to real life, and this is and was compared, via Motec data analysis.

The details of how GTR was made, you can ask of SimBin.

Starforce has dick all to do with GTR, it is a protection method, and if you buy the game it's not a huge problem unless you have a huge problem; always having to control everything, decompiling stuff, cracking things etc...

So I don't know, you seem to have issues with F1 2002, and GTR, and starforce. Some level of discomfort with either can be expected, but this is a bit off the wall.

No sim is perfect, if it was it would be an emulator, but a simulation can be judged to be more or less accurate scientifically or via expert opinion.

Finally had a bash of GT4 over a LAN last night with a mate.

What can I say! Fun, fun, FUN!!!! Beats the absolute hell out of racing retarded, AI robots.

However, there are many 'features' of the LAN mode that I certainly do not like, and one would really have to sympathise with a pair of console only gamers trying to link up with each other, with no experience in Networking.

There are far too many knacks required to get the game working (for a console especially!)…For instance, one must have compiled a list of ‘Favourite Cars’ in arcade single player mode before trying to connect… a pre-requisite that I certainly did not find anywhere in the game booklet.

Also, the ‘Favourite Cars’ list is restricted to 30 cars only, and cannot be selected from ones personal collection on a memory card…why? I don’t f***ing know! I can’t possibly see why it’s necessary to limit the choice of cars available…you can choose your own cars in two player split screen mode, but can’t in LAN mode!

Then there’s the tracks… which also have a cap on how many one can choose for LAN mode… but I won’t get into that… because it was that damn frustrating.

Then one has to make sure the connection settings are OK. Auto connection is a farce! We couldn’t get it working, thus we had to enter in our own IP addresses and subnet mask… then and only then could a successful connection be possibly made… I say possibly because to get the ball rolling, we both had to press connect at exactly the same time… then and only then could one proceed to race.

And for just one more added annoyance, there’s no option to exit LAN mode… one must reset the console to change any option!

I suspect that a fully polished GT4 would have taken at least another 6 months work....or a year and a half of patches had this been a PC release!

Nonetheless, the racing was worth it, and now that I know all the knacks needed to get it working, I’m trying to convince some other petrol-head mates to buy network adaptors for their older PS2’s as well… It really was a ball of fun…but just a bit of a pain in the arse to get the ball moving!