Sign in to follow this  
ebns72

dak seang island

dakseang2.jpg

I posted this earlier in the CP thread

I was testing with transp. water, but lag was immense.

ILS coord error came up too.

please experienced addonmakers, can you touch it up to make performance on this isle better?

I heard that the transparant water lags your ass off anyway.

So maybe that might be it.

Fantasic Island a real Nam feel to it. However I have found that while using Snyper's support pack over at opec the choppers keep crashing into the trees. It would appear that the trees in this island are too tall for the support pack scripts. I wish snyper would update his pack to utilize the addons availiable now , like the skyradier and mig 17 ect . Anyway WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!!!!  biggrin_o.gif

Yes indeed a very nice island, and a real jungle feel. I made two pics as well in the CP thread. Buttah i have one small problem, well rather big with the island. In some parts where the tree's get closer together and the jungle get's more closed my squad will no longer follow me. They stay at the edge of the forest and will not in any way follow me into the thick jungle.

I had the same problem in the first version, and i somehow hoped for this to be fixed in this version. Although i highly feel this island has been improved on looks and jungle feel, i still have the same problems. I think i read someting about this bug in the readme enclosed to the jungle islands pbo (geo lods and stuff, ai paths), but not sure. Further to explain it better, this is not happening all over the island. Just the more thickened forest area's. Other then that, yo thumbs up all the way.

I find this island the most 'Nam like island i have seen for ground fights.  smile_o.gif

Greetz,

Warrior Xâ„¢ [Zeus]

p.s. Do have a look at those combat photography thread pics i made, they look beautifull in my opinion and the NVA from Sebnam pack2 blend in nicely.  wink_o.gif

Tested, nice improvement. Lags like hell when flying tho, atleast when the view distance is greater than 1 km.

And did I hear someone asking about the temple and radiomast grids?

Well, the temple is at BG26 and the place where the mast is is in the northeastmost corner camp.

anyone know how to fix the coinfig error message

i have all the addons but i still get config bin p3d error message

would be cool if lag was fixed island is awsome biggrin_o.gif lag makes it all bad vary bad lol. is there any why to fix lag on this island because its got an lot of brush and grass is it possible rock.gif

Lag aint a problem with me, setviewdistance to about 550 and setfog to 0.6, creates a nice Nam atmosphere and still makes the island look good. smile_o.gif

I have a black square in my screen on some parts of the island, on the french plantation for example. Some sort of weird error/bug. Am I the only one?(didnt bother to read the whole thread again, busy man)

If you are running dxdll and your cursor turns into a black square, then you know that the game is currently being too visualy demanding, or in other words, lag!!!!

WOW!!! This island is AMAZING!!!

Definately one of the best jungle-islands I've seen (not that I download many islands, but oh well). Oh, and thank god it doesn't require hundreds of mbs of other addons as well! (tonal o.pbo for example).

It lags worse than tonal when I run with the default fog/VD, as expected. However, when I put 0.5-0.7 fog (as suggested earlier), it seems to run perfectly, and I can still see far enough for nearly any engagement possible on the terrain.

Some things I like:

* Environment sounds. Very nice; now I don't have to make my own for my missions smile_o.gif.

* Great objects; great jungles; great island!

* Not every "point of interest" (village etc) is labelled. This gives editors the freedom to give these places their own names via markers.

Some bugs/issues I've run into so far:

* NO OFPEC TAG! Wtf... I don't know why addons are still being released that don't follow this system. Oh well...

* I get stuck around some of the huts and other buildings (towers with ramps, etc). They look enterable, but when I try to go in, I get stuck... I know this is mentioned in the readme, but it really would be nice if it were fixed.

* Error when I load the map in the editor (missing entry "ILS" or something)

* Bridge at DH64 cannot be crossed. I fall thru about the middle

* Trees don't fall down! rock.gif I can run thru them with a tank, as if they aren't even there, but they stay in place. When I try to run thru them with a jeep or vehicle that wouldn't knock them down, I hit them as usual.

* I can't place those great objects in the editor! I know this is mentioned in the readme, but this would be very, very, VERY nice to be able to do. I know it might not make sense from the island maker's point of view (he just places objects where he wants them in visitor), but for the mission editor, this is such a nice feature to have.

Please, if someone updates this island, be sure to configure the objects to be placeable in the editor!

*Rice paddies seem... a little odd. Its nice that they are there, but they don't really seem like a rice paddy to me. They seem more like little dirt walls surrounding a square garden. It seems like they are placed in weird places, like on hillsides and the like. I always thought they were near rivers.

I know this is nitpicking, and I couldn't do better (I can't even decide how to make it better), and to change this would change a LOT of the map, so I'll shut up now. smile_o.gif

* No airstrip! Even if you don't realistically work one into the terrain (which is understandable), it would still be nice to have one, like out on one of the edges (where there are no bushes/trees etc). The reason is that it makes editing with fixed-wing aircraft easier.

This is a great, great island, if it hasn't been mentioned already. Definately a keeper, and I will definately use this for a campaign I'm working on (since it looks like the Unsung will never release their island, at least anytime soon....).

Please, if someone would fix the above problems, this island would truly be, well, complete. The main probs, I think, are: trees not falling over, getting stuck on buildings, no airstrip, objects need to be placable in editor.

Great work! I love this island!

a other big problem  troops dont move in jungle  the seem to get stuck  sad_o.gif

a other thing that bugs me is that units cant cross the river when following a trail you will drown big time make it like seb ai drang there you can cross the river on the trails (and it has a good trigger to make sure units stay upright when in the water you can use that to

this island is awsome but could be fixed up alot though. is this person that made this awsome island makeing updates and lag issues fixed rock.gif or maybe some one can get in touch with him and fix this thing up wink_o.gif

I don't know why everyone is talking about lag. My computer isn't very great, but this island runs perfectly for me. AS LONG AS I PUT SOME FOG IN.

The same could be said about SEB ia drang island, only this one is much more detailed and better looking. Of course it is laggy when it does not have any fog and has large VD set. But considering how many detailed objects it has, what more could you expect?

I'm no addon maker, but it seems to me that it runs just fine for how detailed it is. As a mission maker and player, it runs fine when given 0.5 fog, which is enough to see as far as you would need to, for ground combat.

If there is a way to decrease lag without decreasing the visual/playable quality, I would be all for it. But I'm perfectly happy with how it is now (aside from the issues I pointed out before). smile_o.gif

-----

PS. Has anyone spoken to the island maker? I'd really like to know if he (or someone) is going to fix the little issues with this island.

Ah! Crap, after playing with the island more, I've run into the "AI can't move thru forests" bug as well!

Did the map maker even TRY making a mission on this island? How could something like this be allowed to stand?!?

I really want to use this island, but if the AI can't move thru most of the terrain, it is very difficult to make most missions on it...

crazy_o.gifrock.gifwow_o.gif

the first version did not have the problem with the units in the jungle and i think that the main base in version 1 looked a bit better but still its a nice island

Yea, there are a huge amount of geo bugs in the objects and no AI paths at all. I hope he will fix this. smile_o.gif

Most important thing missing is the Viewgeo.

Quote[/b] ](since it looks like the Unsung will never release their island, at least anytime soon....).

Ah c'mon General B. sad_o.gif

Just cos there aint no shots doesn't mean we arn't working, be patient, The Unsung has gone through a lot of things the past 2 years, give us a break, we promise you some damn nice things smile_o.gif

BTW, i've said it before and I'll say it again, love this bloody island!!

sim (Unsung)

I am not sure on this but i think Thone2000 (the author/creator) said in the attached readme of the island that this is his final version and that he will not work on it anymore. So i don't think he will update anything. But it also states in his readme that anyone can edit/change his island and use it's objects in any way. And you do not even have to ask him. Off course crediting him for the original making of the island is in order! So if anyone has some idea of island making and really would like to fix this island, well i think your free to work on it.

'bout The Unsung and it's work. I am sure they will release it somewhere in the near future. I know they are working still hard on it, and i am amazed by the sheer will to overcome all problems and still keep on going strong. That you do not see news about it does not mean they are not working on it. For example look at BIS and OFP2...nuff said me thinx  wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I don't think he will update anything. But it also states in his readme that anyone can edit/change his island and use it's objects in any way. ... So if anyone has some idea of island making and really would like to fix this island, well i think your free to work on it.

So... hopefully someone will decide to take up this project. This island is too damn good to be left unfinished.

Quote[/b] ]Just cos there aint no shots doesn't mean we arn't working, be patient, The Unsung has gone through a lot of things the past 2 years, give us a break, we promise you some damn nice things

I know you guys will come out with some nice things, but I just wish it wouldn't take so long sad_o.gif. Perhaps you could put a little "progress bar" on your site, so we know the mod is still in the works? I don't care so much about screenshots, really.

Especially the island... I've said it before, but it looks like one of THE best islands for OFP. I'd say Tonal, Dak Seang, and the Unsung's island are totally in a class of their own. (Actually, there may be many other great islands out there, but these are the best that I have seen).

[hopeful]

So... perhaps the Unsung could adopt this island, and fix it up? I heard you guys were importing some objects from BF:VN in your island, so perhaps the two would look similar? Or maybe you could use some of the objects from this island, so you don't have to make as many of your own. Not trying to suggest you take on even more work, but I would love to have 2 great Vietnam islands to make missions on.

[/hopeful]

PS: Are your forums down? I tried to get on them earlier, but no luck...

Anyway, sorry for taking this thread off-topic, if I have.

Yeah we are sorry for the time its taking but unless you guys want buggy addons then your gonna have to wait  wink_o.gif

It will be worth it... I hope tounge_o.gif

Yeah we'll see about the status bar. Yes the forums are down, a problem with the host, hammys trying to get them back up asap!

I do believe we may modify Dak Seang trees and maybe change textures on the BFVN ones.

Anyways please be patient, hopefully there will be more shots in our thread soon.

Sorry for going offtopic again. BACK ON now.

sim

EDIT: praying for the forums to be back up late tonight

I am not sure on this but i think Thone2000 (the author/creator) said in the attached readme of the island that this is his final version and that he will not work on it anymore. So i don't think he will update anything. But it also states in his readme that anyone can edit/change his island and use it's objects in any way. And you do not even have to ask him. Off course crediting him for the original making of the island is in order! So if anyone has some idea of island making and really would like to fix this island, well i think your free to work on it.

I use the Dak Seang trees to build the jungle on Homeland. I can fix the geo/fire/view on all the trees.

this would be very nice of you, since now its kind of impossible to use the island as supposed to (i second what General Barron said) smile_o.gif

Yes it would be excellent BergHoff if you could fix up those tress smile_o.gif