Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

60 years ago - The Battle Of Iowa Jima

February 19 was the 60th anniversary of the Iowa Jima battle.

Historical synopsis.

One of the 20th century's most famous photos

... was a fake. wink_o.gif

The didn't have a photographer when they errected the flagpole the first time, so they did it a gain for the cameras.

Edit: Already explained in the link above.

Reenactment, to be accurate. smile_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

Well, I don't think it's so humorous, per se.

The event actually did occur. Not so in something defined as absolutley fake. It may even be that the reenactment is no less dramatic than the original event. That we may never know.

I don't believe this is just a game of semantics.

The second time the flag was raised was still a deadly event. The Marines were still under fire and many of them did not survive the day after the photo was snapped.

The second flag was raised not for a photo op, but because it was bigger and could be seen flying from Mount Suribachi by all the Marines on the island. The first flag was too small to see easily.

Even though it isn't a completely original photo, it is still moving to me. Iwo Jima was the bloodiest battle of the Pacific if I remember correctly, so as Schoeler said, I can imagine those guys raising the flag a second time still under the same dangerous conditions.

IIRC, the flag was raised in the opening days of the battle.  They still had weeks of fighting left.  BTW... this battle took place in the Pacific Theater, not the American Midwest (check title of thread  tounge_o.gif ).

IIRC, the flag was raised in the opening days of the battle.  They still had months of fighting left.

The battle lasted 36 days.

Ok... edit... weeks instead of months (didn't read it over again before posting it) But it still didn't happen in Iowa. wink_o.gif

Reenactment, to be accurate. smile_o.gif

Same story behind this photo:

Soviet_Reichstag.gif

Taken April 30 1945 over the Reichstag, but the flag had been up a few days before.